For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you. - Page 11

For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

This is a discussion on For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jason Storm Regardless of whether one wants to open carry or not (I prefer concealed carry only but supports one's right to ...

View Poll Results: Would you support a law that did not allow for open carry?

Voters
411. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 3.65%
  • No

301 73.24%
  • I'm against open carry but support those who do so.

87 21.17%
  • Yes, but with exceptions for handicapped or those unable to carry otherwise.

8 1.95%
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Regardless of whether one wants to open carry or not (I prefer concealed carry only but supports one's right to decide), we all need to unite and support one's right to choose to open carry.
    This is the most important issue to me. The freedom to choose.

Michael
    Majorlk and gunsnroses like this.

Well said!

The only time I've ever open carried has been while hunting and out in the field/bush on a few occasions. I always prefer to carry concealed.

However, I'm opposed to any laws which attempt to limit any gun freedoms more than they already are. I would prefer for a vast number of the laws to be repealed.
    oneshot likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I think open carry has its place, but concealed is gernerally a better idea. I certainly wouldn't want it to be a crime if my gun makes a brief appearance.

As far as the concealed carry youtube's go, I think a lot of them act like jerks, but I'm very glad they are there. I'm not going to antagonize the police, but it is good that someone reminds them just how far the law goes from time to time. Also it sets the bar lower for the rest of us so they are more apt to appreciate those of us who carry and are just trying to be left alone.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean1818 View Post
    How do you change your vote?

I think there is a time and place for everything

Maybe OC in rural areas and CC in cities.

^^^^^^^^^That would be^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Like saying a woman could only wear a bikini at the beach; Vs. a pool or her backyard, or you may only have the convertible top down on your car in the country, or you could only wear cowboy boots and jeans in the rural areas.

Just because you personally do not like something doesn't mean you should not support it or be OK with it, so long as its not hurting anyone or being dangerous to the public.

Just like Hunting. If you hunt, I don't care what species, then you should not oppose another lawful, legal means of hunting any species anywhere.
    Spec likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^That would be^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Like saying a woman could only wear a bikini at the beach; Vs. a pool or her backyard, or you may only have the convertible top down on your car in the country, or you could only wear cowboy boots and jeans in the rural areas.

Just because you personally do not like something doesn't mean you should not support it or be OK with it, so long as its not hurting anyone or being dangerous to the public.

Just like Hunting. If you hunt, I don't care what species, then you should not oppose another lawful, legal means of hunting any species anywhere.
    Analogy is one of my favorite devices. I believe in God, but I do not tithe the Church of God With Signs Following. I believe in gay rights, but I am not going to date men. I believe in your right to carry concealed, but I won't be writing the state OC organization a check, or appearing openly armed at an OC gathering.

Their is a difference between not supporting a law banning a practice, and supporting the practice itself.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.

How many constitutional freedoms have we lost already? Anyone know? I live in an open carry state but will not draw attention to myself by walking around with my weapon exposed. Far too many liberals in the land of 10,000. I will not and would not endorse, vote for or otherwise help steal another freedom we have.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready" TR

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    Still cant phathom people who want to or support removing the rights of other law abiding citizens. Along the same path, I dont drink so lets ban all alcohol. As a reformed smoker, lets ban that to. While we are at it, lets ban tattoos. Are my points becoming rediculous? Of course, but once you start removing individual rights because someone become offended or scared or just doesnt agree with you, they eventually get to something YOU believe in. I guess it is wrong at that point huh? This isnt about open carry IT IS ABOUT THE REMOVAL OF WHAT SOME OF US BELIEVE IS A RIGHT!! Guess what? Your "belief" that open carry is wrong is just that.

People say that open carriers get defensive. I say everyone should get defensive when others try to take away your rights. If I told you that concealed carry proved to me that you were stupid and walk in fear of people, I think you open carry bashers would most likely take offense. Concealed carry bashers are in a way worse than antis walking around. At least antis have a position. The "bashers" support your right to carry but look down their noses at the way you do it. They take on an air of superiority. They know better than you do becuase they are smarter and we as adults should know better. Open carriers, in their opinion, are show offs, immature and not worthy to carry in a way in which you dont approve of. The bashers would have open carriers walk in fear that we might upset, offend, aggravate, or scare the general public.

While I most carry concealed, I do on occasion carry openly. I am absolutely against those who want to remove my right to carry as I see fit as the law allows. All I can say is at least I know where an anti stands. For what it is worth, some people open carry because they dont believe in "asking permission" from the state to BEAR arms (at least here in NC) and it is a moral stance on their rights. They may not be as good or smart as the bashers but i respect their reasoning. If you cant support open carry, fine that is your stance but quit trying to EDUCATE me on how goofed up I am for doing so. I'm done.
    Well said.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I CC in Florida but don't think I would OC even if legal. By the way, what states allow OC and are there any stats about accidental shootings or rage induced shootings by OCers that are different than in states with no OC? Any decrease in crime rates in OC states? An inquiring mind wants to know.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pappou68 View Post
    I CC in Florida but don't think I would OC even if legal. By the way, what states allow OC and are there any stats about accidental shootings or rage induced shootings by OCers that are different than in states with no OC? Any decrease in crime rates in OC states? An inquiring mind wants to know.
    Here is a map of which states allow it: OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

As far as rage induced shootings and statistics, I don't know off hand. Maybe someone else does.

I prefer to carry concealed, but I wouldn't infringe on anyone else to open carry, when done responsibly.
    carracer and Tex32Cal like this.

As many have said through out this thread. I have OC'ed many of times when I lived in Colorado both hunting and working on high country ranches. But in those days it was not as alarming to the general public as now. Keep in mind we carried single action revolvers and lever action Winchesters or bolt action hunting rifles. Not semi-automatic 15 round sidearm's, AK47's and AR15's and dressed as if we were going to a tactical fight.

To me there is a time and place for everything ......

I would not vote against OC because that would cause a legal nightmare for those of us who prefer to hunt with a side arm or carry a side arm while hunting or camping in the wilderness. Though I do not support those who think it is necessary to OC in public places Walmart parking lots, political rallies etc when it is just as easy to CC ..... Just my .02 cents.
    wmhawth likes this.

Had an "accidential" exposure yesterday. I was washing some motorcycle parts at the local quarter car wash and did not realize my shirt had run up over my carry piece. I know a number of people saw it but thank god they were all men and not, at least I hope not, Minnesota liberals. The thing was hanging out there in the open for quite some time and I didn 't even realize it. No cops called and all is well. Even though I live in an open carry state I still do not like to show I am carrying. Opps!
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready" TR

Open carried my 1911 on a Dinner Sleigh Ride last evening with a group of about 20 people I had never met before. Not even one scream of panic or running! Had a great steak and shrimp dinner, enjoyed the singing and poetry. A good time was had by EVERYONE!

If you don't be a jerk you are not percieved as one.

Links