For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

This is a discussion on For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great stories guys, amazing how the thing doesn't jump out of your holster with a mind of its own! ;)...

View Poll Results: Would you support a law that did not allow for open carry?

Voters
411. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 3.65%
  • No

301 73.24%
  • I'm against open carry but support those who do so.

87 21.17%
  • Yes, but with exceptions for handicapped or those unable to carry otherwise.

8 1.95%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

Great stories guys, amazing how the thing doesn't jump out of your holster with a mind of its own! ;)

2. Remove Ads

I have no issues with people who legally OC, but I think the sheep get scared when they see guns. I would not want to give up the tactical advantage of CC or end up being a target because I am OC, so I do not & will not OC as a personal choice.

I won't vote in the poll because it does not accurately describe my opinion.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

First I will say that I'm a weather based OCer. When the weather is warm, I OC, when it's cold, I usually CC, mostly because my coat covers my weapon. I've OCed for about the last 3 years or so. And to date, I've never had any sort of run in with any LEO while OCing. (I'm not counting traffic stops, since in Michigan, for all intents and purposes, your pistol is considered concealed while you're in a vehicle.)

My general observation is that the vast majority of the sheep don't notice, or they don't react. I do understand the need for recording devices. All you have to do is look at some of the more "infamous" LEO encounters, and you'll see why OCers take a voice recorder along. Of course, sometimes it's not necessary when you have the dash cam on the police cruiser.

I will agree, SOME people in the OC community need to learn to be a bit more tactful. But I could say the same about a lot of people involved in other venues.

In any event, you carry how you want to, I'll carry how I want to, as long as it's legal, and we should all learn to just get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe View Post
    First I will say that I'm a weather based OCer. When the weather is warm, I OC, when it's cold, I usually CC, mostly because my coat covers my weapon. I've OCed for about the last 3 years or so. And to date, I've never had any sort of run in with any LEO while OCing. (I'm not counting traffic stops, since in Michigan, for all intents and purposes, your pistol is considered concealed while you're in a vehicle.)

My general observation is that the vast majority of the sheep don't notice, or they don't react. I do understand the need for recording devices. All you have to do is look at some of the more "infamous" LEO encounters, and you'll see why OCers take a voice recorder along. Of course, sometimes it's not necessary when you have the dash cam on the police cruiser.

I will agree, SOME people in the OC community need to learn to be a bit more tactful. But I could say the same about a lot of people involved in other venues.

In any event, you carry how you want to, I'll carry how I want to, as long as it's legal, and we should all learn to just get along.
    "Big Gay Al" Lowe
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Of course I carry a gun, you would too if you were called "Big Gay Al"
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    I have no issues with people who legally OC, but I think the sheep get scared when they see guns. I would not want to give up the tactical advantage of CC or end up being a target because I am OC, so I do not & will not OC as a personal choice.

I won't vote in the poll because it does not accurately describe my opinion.
    Sounds like you fit the yellow bar, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    "Big Gay Al" Lowe
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Of course I carry a gun, you would too if you were called "Big Gay Al"
    I like my BGA icon better: bga2_100.gif

I primarily CC, I however OC at home (I live off the beaten path and have acreage with cattle) I live in a very pro-gun area and if I need to run up to the store even as far as Wal-Mart for something I do not change up carry rigs. I will support no law that would hinder the rights we have, the rights that have already been overly burdened and impeded by unconstitutional laws.
    Thunder71 and TN_Mike like this.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I agree, some open carriers do seem to go looking for their next YouTube video - however I don't feel that is the majority, they just stand out unfortunately.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    I open carry because I think it is more comfortable. I'm not looking for trouble or for something to post on Youtube. Quite often I do conceal, especially in the winter, but when I get into a store and it is hot, I take my jacket off thus exposing my handgun. I'm not doing it to prove a point, I just know it is legal in Pennsylvania and it makes life easier without having to readjust when I take my jacket off (or carry in a IWB holster which I really don't care for).

To each his own!

I'm for open carry but oppose it. Ok, here is what I mean.

In Iowa we can open carry but I would never do it. I want the element of suprise. This is what is nice about open carry laws. Say you are at the grocery store and reach up to the top shelf to grab something and while doing so, your shirt raises and exposes your firearm. Without open carry laws, you would be in trouble.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

I am not against open carry if that is what you want, or laws forbidding it, but my main reasons against it are these:

In an open carry state, the Bad Guys will look for your open carry, fixate on the weapon, and if they plan a crime that they were willing to kill or maim to commit anyway, then you will never see it coming if they decide to drop you. You will be hit or shot from behind without a chance to draw.

I am a personal fan of concealed carry, and espouse ambush, guile, lying and downright sneaky naughtiness when it comes to self personal defense.

There is no law that says you have to fight fair in a life or death situation, and I guarantee you the bad guy will not start any deadly assault with the Marquess of Queensberry rules of boxing if they are set on harming you, and there is nothing that says we have to respond that way either.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I don't, and won't open carry if I have a choice, but I am against any law that would outlaw it.
    That's about the size of it on my end.

I'm am against ANY law that would limit the firearm rights of law abiding citizens.

But, you won't catch me strutting around Walmart open carrying like I'm Rooster Cogburn.

I support all my brothers and sisters in lawfully exercising their 2A rights. I, due to my personal preference, do not OC; However, I don't give a razz patuie if and how much I am "printing". OC is not for me. I will defend others rights to lawfully OC.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofwyr View Post
    I am not against open carry if that is what you want, or laws forbidding it, but my main reasons against it are these:

In an open carry state, the Bad Guys will look for your open carry, fixate on the weapon, and if they plan a crime that they were willing to kill or maim to commit anyway, then you will never see it coming if they decide to drop you. You will be hit or shot from behind without a chance to draw.

I am a personal fan of concealed carry, and espouse ambush, guile, lying and downright sneaky naughtiness when it comes to self personal defense.

There is no law that says you have to fight fair in a life or death situation, and I guarantee you the bad guy will not start any deadly assault with the Marquess of Queensberry rules of boxing if they are set on harming you, and there is nothing that says we have to respond that way either.
    There is so much truth in what you say here! I read all the time about open carry guys getting ambushed and shot from behind. Why, just the other day I was standing in line at walmart and this open carry guy struts up puffing out his chest and WHAM! One of the greeters cold cocked him from behind and took his gun! He then proceeded to whip off his apron, flash a gang sign and rob the entire store. Luckily a concealed carry guy, who was lying to the good looking checkout lady and was suggesting something just a little naughty, saw what was going on and saved the day. He was concealing a jennings .25 and from across the store was able to pick off the bad greeter with a well placed throw to the side of his head. Wasn't a shot as the greeter was expecting that. The element of surprise was that he threw the gun at him! That took all the fight out of the greeter and the balloon lady was able to cuff him with strings.

These things happen every day in OC states. I'm just glad we have those cc'ers to save our arses!

Thank you lord of wyr for your valiant service!
    OldVet likes this.

Links