For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you. - Page 13

For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

This is a discussion on For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by lordofwyr I am not against open carry if that is what you want, or laws forbidding it, but my main reasons against ...

View Poll Results: Would you support a law that did not allow for open carry?

Voters
411. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 3.65%
  • No

301 73.24%
  • I'm against open carry but support those who do so.

87 21.17%
  • Yes, but with exceptions for handicapped or those unable to carry otherwise.

8 1.95%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofwyr View Post
    I am not against open carry if that is what you want, or laws forbidding it, but my main reasons against it are these:

In an open carry state, the Bad Guys will look for your open carry, fixate on the weapon, and if they plan a crime that they were willing to kill or maim to commit anyway, then you will never see it coming if they decide to drop you. You will be hit or shot from behind without a chance to draw.

I am a personal fan of concealed carry, and espouse ambush, guile, lying and downright sneaky naughtiness when it comes to self personal defense.

There is no law that says you have to fight fair in a life or death situation, and I guarantee you the bad guy will not start any deadly assault with the Marquess of Queensberry rules of boxing if they are set on harming you, and there is nothing that says we have to respond that way either.
    Pilgrim, I'm trying real hard to find any evidense of this happening in anything other than the 1-in-a-million case. It also happens to those who CC--1-in-a-million times. I think it's much more likely that the thugs will look for easier hunting grounds rather than purposely and knowingly take on an armed victim.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I am aginist any law that limits or restricts our rights to carry a gun.I personally choose to OC almost all of the time as long as it is legal.I have multiple of reasons for this but most of all because it is what's most comfortable for me.Sometimes I will CC depending on the situation but for the most part I OC.I have yet to have any problems while OC'ing & hope that that will continue to be the case.I honestly don't care how someone else carries their gun just as long as they are carrying & are legal.
    carracer and FTG-05 like this.
    Firegoddess

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    There are those who open carry responsibly and who represent gun owners well but by and large the open carry crowd seems over represented by attention seekers. At its best it seems amateurish and juvenile to me. At its worst actually harmful to gun rights causes. I don't do it myself except when out in the hills. I do support those who want to do it and do so responsibly. I DO NOT support the idea of some law making it illegal.
    I do not think the open carry crowd is over represented by attention seekers, it only appears that way because the attention seekers are what's in the news or youtube videos -- not the average everyday responsible open carrier. But you are right that it is what people think that will matter and a lot of them are going to be negatively swayed by what the attention seekers do. It is really too bad.
    FTG-05 likes this.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I posted in a thread called "Never open carried" awhile back, stating my opinion on open carrying. At the time I didn't think open carrying was necessary and I got torn a new one for thinking so. I see alot of comments now, that have a similar opinion that I did are getting alot of "likes." I dont know if I got alot of crap for my opinion because I was a new member but my feelings are still the same.

Every open carrier I have seen so far was some jerk on youtube, an attention seeking moron whose means dont really justify the end, IMO. I feel that most people are like me and dont want to bring any unnecessary attention to themselves, but at the same time, will support those whom open carry responsibly. Ignorance is a long way from stupid and right now Id have to say i'm kinda ignorant to open carrying. I cant sit here and say CC is more comfortable or logical than OC, because it's not, but CC makes me feel more comfortable and thats all that matters. If I lived in a world where OC was the norm then by all means.....but I dont.
    carracer and Eldon Hickey like this.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by All_Business View Post
    I posted in a thread called "Never open carried" awhile back, stating my opinion on open carrying. At the time I didn't think open carrying was necessary and I got torn a new one for thinking so. I see alot of comments now, that have a similar opinion that I did are getting alot of "likes." I dont know if I got alot of crap for my opinion because I was a new member but my feelings are still the same.

Every open carrier I have seen so far was some jerk on youtube, an attention seeking moron whose means dont really justify the end, IMO. I feel that most people are like me and dont want to bring any unnecessary attention to themselves, but at the same time, will support those whom open carry responsibly. Ignorance is a long way from stupid and right now Id have to say i'm kinda ignorant to open carrying. I cant sit here and say CC is more comfortable or logical than OC, because it's not, but CC makes me feel more comfortable and thats all that matters. If I lived in a world where OC was the norm then by all means.....but I dont.
    I can understand your thoughts on OC when all you have been exposed to is the "videos". It would be like thinking all the LEO are the way they are on the videos. Just a small minority that gets alot of attention.

I cc most of the time now as I only have an LC9 and don't have a proper holster for it. Used to have a Colt 1911 I carried in a Serpa Retention holster. Very comfortable and easy to carry. Only had positive remarks from people and no negatives from LEO or securiity.

The main thing is to carry, regardless of the method and to support others that carry, regardless of their methods.
    FTG-05 likes this.

I support open carry. I do not support people who oc just to "stir the pot". Here in michigan oc is legal and viable way to protect ones self. Michigan is a shall issue state, but it costs about $300 to get the ccw permit so this is a hinderance to many.

I will support your rights even if you do not know how to use them!

CARRY ON!

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    My primary issue with open carry is that, as far as I am concerned, it is amateur carry when you have a choice to carry concealed.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

I don't support any antigun laws of any kind. That being said, I live in a state where I can open carry but I rarely do so. I reserve open carry for hunting and fishing or coming and going from the range. I will only stop at the bait store or for fuel if I need it.
    Open carry just draws more attention than I want.
    carracer likes this.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

I'm in a state that allows open carry but would no more do it than I'd walk around with my d--k hanging out. It's for insecure macho men who have a need to show off and/or intimidate and the practice does incalculable harm to the cause of concealed carry. If you want to see anti-gun legislation, go on scaring the crap out of the citizenry with your exhibitionistic nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon Hickey View Post
    I'm in a state that allows open carry but would no more do it than I'd walk around with my d--k hanging out. It's for insecure macho men who have a need to show off and/or intimidate and the practice does incalculable harm to the cause of concealed carry. If you want to see anti-gun legislation, go on scaring the crap out of the citizenry with your exhibitionistic nonsense.
    In order to preserve yourself from the harm we cause, you should avoid the OC portion of the forum! Until OC became "Popular" the same "insecure..." statements were accused of the cc crowd.

You just don't understand that we are doing you a FAVOR by taking the heat off the cc'ers. We understand that your feelings get hurt on a regular basis and want to protect you from crowd that hurls insults at the people who are afraid to let their defense weapons show. Since we have bigger "Guns" than you guys we are willing to take the so called abuse you fear.

Bring it on folks! We are here for you and will not be dissuaded!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    In order to preserve yourself from the harm we cause, you should avoid the OC portion of the forum! Until OC became "Popular" the same "insecure..." statements were accused of the cc crowd.

You just don't understand that we are doing you a FAVOR by taking the heat off the cc'ers. We understand that your feelings get hurt on a regular basis and want to protect you from crowd that hurls insults at the people who are afraid to let their defense weapons show. Since we have bigger "Guns" than you guys we are willing to take the so called abuse you fear.

The last time one of you guys did me a favor, it resulted in a gun-buster sign at my favorite eatery.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

I personally think the whole CC vs OC thing is silly, non-productive, yet entertaining like passing a car wreck. Like everything in life there is a time and place for things. I can cuss all I want and be in my 1st A rights. But I don't. There is a time and place for it. OC'ing is the same (to a lesser degree CCing because folks shouldn't even know). Hunting, fishing, hiking, in Bear or mountian lion territory etc...But of course you can OC when you want if legal. It is your right. But you do not change peoples perceptions and I do not recall CC'ers asking for any help. I have never had the cops called to check me out CC'ing. I have had an idiot neighbor call the cops twice for OC'ing on a rural road. Even if someone OC's in legal place albeit a controversial place that does not bother me so much if that is normal for that person. I do not like grand standing or stupid You Tube videos that were trying to provoke a reaction. In those cases where the LEO's might be wrong it does not do anything to change the perception of anti's. They will always views the moron with the video camera as the idiot, not the LEO's. So it is counter productive.

No matter what the situation, you can't legislate against poor judgement nor take rights away for the same. If we did most of the population would lose the right to vote

Like I said.... you are perfectly welcome to abandon your OC trolling on this portion of the forum! Your fears of accidently scaring someone are just your own insecurity. "I'm hiding a gun and you can't see it! Ha Ha Ha!" Why would you do business with anyone that wants to restrict you anyway? Ahh, it's more fun getting away something so that makes it ok!

Like I said.... you are perfectly welcome to abandon your OC trolling on this portion of the forum! Your fears of accidently scaring someone are just your own insecurity. "I'm hiding a gun and you can't see it! Ha Ha Ha!" Why would you do business with anyone that wants to restrict you anyway? Ahh, it's more fun getting away something so that makes it ok!
    You did happen to see the title of the thread right?
    For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.
    That kind of implies OC'ers wanted responses. Sorry if you don't like what you hear.
    Eldon Hickey likes this.

VIP Member

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Links