For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

This is a discussion on For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would never support a law that bans open carry but do not do it myself. People should carry however they want to, if they ...

View Poll Results: Would you support a law that did not allow for open carry?

Voters
411. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 3.65%
  • No

301 73.24%
  • I'm against open carry but support those who do so.

87 21.17%
  • Yes, but with exceptions for handicapped or those unable to carry otherwise.

8 1.95%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I would never support a law that bans open carry but do not do it myself. People should carry however they want to, if they are legal to do so.

I think the cons for open carry outweight the pros and this is why I choose to conceal but I'd never want to take away someone else's right to carry the way they choose and prevent someone from open carrying if they want to, etc.

I didn't participate in the poll because they always mess up on me and I'm not even sure if my votes are being counted.
    baren likes this.

2. Remove Ads

MJK
    I support all options. The second amendment places no restrictions on how I choose to carry. Period.

Interestingly, my unofficial take on the responses to this post show many do not OC but are against any laws that would ban it. But the poll seems to show a large majority voted "no". I too do not OC (of course, I don't CC either here in the "Free State" of Maryland) but when I'm in states that do allow it, I prefer to CC (NR Utah CCW permit), probably because I tend to be a private individual and am not prone to bringing attention to myself. But that's me.
    Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else. - Margaret Mead

VIP Member
    I carry both ways, however I find myself OC'ing more than CC'ing. There again I live in a state that is very OC friendly. I carry and mind my own business, I am oin no way confrontational about it, and have no desire to be. What you have to remember, is for every person OC'ing with their camera in hand waiting for their 1 minute of fame on You Tube, there are 20 who go about their business without the desire to make a name for themselves.
    Dumbledork and NYCrulesU like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I don't open carry and under the present administration and jaundiced views of the liberal MSM, I would recommend those in support of open carry to go easy. I am not against open carry and am opposed to any new laws our government tries to pass which conflicts with the 2nd Amendment, but let's not do anything to jeopardize all the progress we've made toward strengthening our 2nd Amendment rights. If you can carry concealed keep it to yourself. Lets not give the "ANTIs" anything to fight us with.

I personally doubt that I would even open carry in town around people even if it were legal to do so. I do strongly support your right to open carry if you so desire.

Michael

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I voted "no" but your question is faulty; we all support laws that don't allow open carry: seat belts, speeding, etc.; none of those "support" open carry. Perhaps supporting a law "bannings" OC would have been more accurate.

If OC were legal in FL, there are times I would OC, times that I would not. I;ve done it before in states that allowed it, and surprisingly, nothing happened. As far as antagonising the WI police, they are antagonised because they allow themselves to be antagonised. It's no different than antagonising the police by driving 35 in a 35 mph zone, almost breaking the law--but not quite. OC upsets people because they're not used to seeing it. They'd get over it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Anyone who is for a law prohibiting OC is at least in part anti-gun. Simple as that. You are advocating for the chipping away of our carry rights. You need to think about that.
    gunsnroses and tcox4freedom like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Anyone who is for a law prohibiting OC is at least in part anti-gun. Simple as that. You are advocating for the chipping away of our carry rights. You need to think about that.
    Looks like 5% of those polled here fall into that category.

By the looks of the current poll we've got basically 6 out of 117 that are in some way in favor of outlawing open carry.

That's a little over 5% of the total who took the poll, not a large number - but this being a defensive carry forum I'm a little surprised. I can only imagine what hte numbers would be on a non-gun forum.

Thanks for your honesty everyone, it's appreciated... and to those 5%, thanks for keeping it real - if it were 0% I'd wonder if people were really voting how they felt based on what I've read in the forums.

Please, keep the votes coming in - even if you have nothing to say about the subject, I'm genuinely interested and hope nobody gets offended. This really has been a great discussion, and again - I really do like all the participation this has gotten without becoming an "in before the lock" thread.

EdC
    I don't open carry, but wouldn't support a law that prohibited it.
    BTW, OldVet is right, I think the OP's poll question was meant to have been "Would you support a law that prohibited open carry?" but I don't think anyone really misunderstood it.

I am against open carry for myself from a protection standpoint. I'm 5'3" 130 lbs. If a BG knows I've got a gun, then he can plan his attack around that - I might loose my gun or get shot before getting robbed. The bg might also go elsewhere, but I don't like to gamble.

I prefer to keep it concealed so it's a surprise & I don't have to worry about getting shot in the back or whatever.

On the flip side, I would be strongly against a law that made it illegal to open carry. Sometimes open carry might be necessary for the weather or whatever you're doing. Some people prefer open carry. For me personally, sometimes when I'm hiking or doing something more active, my shirt might come up showing my gun before I yank it back down (I carry IWB, small of back). If open carry were illegal, I could be in trouble if someone saw the gun.

Also, I believe every American citizen has the right to keep & bear arms without the governments' consent (aka a permit). If you banned open carry, you just banned many citizens from bearing arms. Unless the government says they can bear arms (got a concealed carry permit).

So, no, I don't open carry & have no plans to. However, I would fight against any proposed law prohibiting open carry with every ounce of my energy!
    bmcgilvray, OD*, TN_Mike and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CountryGal View Post
    I am against open carry for myself from a protection standpoint. I'm 5'3" 130 lbs. If a BG knows I've got a gun, then he can plan his attack around that - I might loose my gun or get shot before getting robbed. The bg might also go elsewhere, but I don't like to gamble.

I prefer to keep it concealed so it's a surprise & I don't have to worry about getting shot in the back or whatever.

On the flip side, I would be strongly against a law that made it illegal to open carry. Sometimes open carry might be necessary for the weather or whatever you're doing. Some people prefer open carry. For me personally, sometimes when I'm hiking or doing something more active, my shirt might come up showing my gun before I yank it back down (I carry IWB, small of back). If open carry were illegal, I could be in trouble if someone saw the gun.

Also, I believe every American citizen has the right to keep & bear arms without the governments' consent (aka a permit). If you banned open carry, you just banned many citizens from bearing arms. Unless the government says they can bear arms (got a concealed carry permit).

So, no, I don't open carry & have no plans to. However, I would fight against any proposed law prohibiting open carry with every ounce of my energy!
    YES!!!
    TN_Mike likes this.

My issue with open carry folks is that they appear, almost without fail, to be among the...

How do I put this nicely..."Least well suited to be the Second Amendment Ambassador they claim to be".

In plain terms, ever one of them I've had exposure to has been dumber than a box of rocks, without any true understanding of the current legal playing field for the RKBA and a confrontational idiot who's idea of "Educating the public" is to scare them by walking around with some sort of AK pistol to provoke an incident with the police...

And all of them seem to think that their right to carry a gun trumps the right of other people to not have an illtemptered idiot with a 7.62x39mm firearm walking about looking for his chance to get into it with the cops.

I'd like to actually encounter or meet an open carry advocate with a good understanding of constitutional law and RKBA legalities (and I mean that in the academic terms, consistant with current Supreme Court cases as such cases are interpreted by the legal community, not someone stamping his feet saying "What part of shall not be infringed do you not understand!!" - See D.C. v. Heller...) who is articulate, polite, preferably able to hold a decent conversation and using a service sized, pistol caliber handgun in a proper holster.

Then, I'd be more in favor of open carry.

If you want to represent the gun community, go lobby the legislature.

If you want to open carry a handgun as you go about your daily life, rock on with your bad self.

But don't claim that you are "educating the public" when you need an education yourself.

Would I support a law banning open carry - No.

Do I want to sit in starbucks with people who are a more likely than not a walking safety violation on or off the range?

Take a guess.

We're all supposed to be in this togther, right?

So why aren't people who act in a manner which reflects poorly on us all taken to task for it?

Why do I have to support people who are going to cause a negative stigma cast on the rest of us gun people?

I don't and I won't.

This is a war for the future, and thems who screw up the war effort need to un...blank...their heads and get with the program.

Those who won't...

Well.

What happens to soldiers in battle who's actions are prejudicial to good order and discipline...
    wmhawth, bmcgilvray, OD* and 3 others like this.

MitchellCT:

You might want to join CTGunTalk.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Links