For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you. - Page 4

For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

This is a discussion on For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MitchellCT My issue with open carry folks is that they appear, almost without fail, to be among the... How do I put ...

View Poll Results: Would you support a law that did not allow for open carry?

Voters
411. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 3.65%
  • No

301 73.24%
  • I'm against open carry but support those who do so.

87 21.17%
  • Yes, but with exceptions for handicapped or those unable to carry otherwise.

8 1.95%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    My issue with open carry folks is that they appear, almost without fail, to be among the...

How do I put this nicely..."Least well suited to be the Second Amendment Ambassador they claim to be".

In plain terms, ever one of them I've had exposure to has been dumber than a box of rocks, without any true understanding of the current legal playing field for the RKBA and a confrontational idiot who's idea of "Educating the public" is to scare them by walking around with some sort of AK pistol to provoke an incident with the police...

And all of them seem to think that their right to carry a gun trumps the right of other people to not have an illtemptered idiot with a 7.62x39mm firearm walking about looking for his chance to get into it with the cops.

I'd like to actually encounter or meet an open carry advocate with a good understanding of constitutional law and RKBA legalities (and I mean that in the academic terms, consistant with current Supreme Court cases as such cases are interpreted by the legal community, not someone stamping his feet saying "What part of shall not be infringed do you not understand!!" - See D.C. v. Heller...) who is articulate, polite, preferably able to hold a decent conversation and using a service sized, pistol caliber handgun in a proper holster.

Then, I'd be more in favor of open carry.

If you want to represent the gun community, go lobby the legislature.

If you want to open carry a handgun as you go about your daily life, rock on with your bad self.

But don't claim that you are "educating the public" when you need an education yourself.

Would I support a law banning open carry - No.

Do I want to sit in starbucks with people who are a more likely than not a walking safety violation on or off the range?

Take a guess.

We're all supposed to be in this togther, right?

So why aren't people who act in a manner which reflects poorly on us all taken to task for it?

Why do I have to support people who are going to cause a negative stigma cast on the rest of us gun people?

I don't and I won't.

This is a war for the future, and thems who screw up the war effort need to un...blank...their heads and get with the program.

Those who won't...

Well.

What happens to soldiers in battle who's actions are prejudicial to good order and discipline...
    How about a litmus test to enact your constitutional right? You can pay a fee and get a shinny new card with your picture on it?

I'm sure you where born here in the United States.....but I don't think you should be considered a citizen until you take a test?

-ok...sarcasm off.

Believe in the rights of the people regardless of how you personnely feel about them. You share and enjoy the same rights!

Alot of folks cry about their rights all the time. I could give a damn less if they passed a law banning open carry, as long as they do not forbid carrying any other way. Way more important stuff in life to worry about anyway.
    gottabkiddin and sixsccw like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

"Why do I have to support people who are going to cause a negative stigma cast on the rest of us gun people?

I don't and I won't"

Go MitchelCT!
    gottabkiddin and AIRWAR like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    "Why do I have to support people who are going to cause a negative stigma cast on the rest of us gun people?

I don't and I won't"

Go MitchelCT!
    You dont. But you cant deny there rights because of it.
    smolck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Alot of folks cry about their rights all the time. I could give a damn less if they passed a law banning open carry, as long as they do not forbid carrying any other way. Way more important stuff in life to worry about anyway.
    got it. Its all about you.
    TN_Mike and Al Lowe like this.

I'm not attempting to deny rights; have no interest in denying rights. I just recognize the type of individual to whom MitchelCT is referring and they do more harm than good. Those who revere their Second Amendment rights could do without such individuals.
    AIRWAR likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    got it. Its all about you.
    Uh, hello! Yes it's all about me being able to exercise any of the other rights, such as the First amendment, heard of that one? If you don't like it, then don't read opinions on a public forum. Or, is it all about you?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Uh, hello! Yes it's all about me being able to exercise any of the other rights, such as the First amendment, heard of that one? If you don't like it, then don't read opinions on a public forum. Or, is it all about you?
    What rights are those...the ones you agree with and all the others are not valid?

Good night!!!!
    TN_Mike and Al Lowe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    What rights are those...the ones you agree with and all the others are not valid?

Good night!!!!
    Don't go to bed angry, lol. You need to understand that a few of us were raised in a time when it was considered impolite to wear a gun in public openly. And I still think it makes people look damn foolish. But, it's their right as you say. It's also my right to think and feel the way I do.

Think what you want, but I was sending money and on the frontlines of the 2nd amend rights while many here was still waiting on conception, so don't give me any of that self righteous BS lip service about not being on the right side.

Today's people run around like damn idiots wearing their guns in the open thinking they are some sort of representative for us. Well, noone speaks for me but me. But I, have to make excuses for some of these people who make us all look bad. Like when some jack legged nimrod argues with police, or shoots a hole in the damn sealing at walmart because he was exercising his rights.
    You all seem to forget that most of the country doesn't get into guns, yet expect to impose your ideology on them by force feeding it in the name of " educating the public".
    Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me.
    So if you want to walk around like Matt Dillion for everyone to see and probably wonder what's up with him, go ahead.
    But climb down off the high horse and stop cryin because others don't approve.
    wmhawth, SIXTO, Mike1956 and 4 others like this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Well, it 'was' a rather social discussion... :(

I do not open carry nor do I see the need or logic.

However, I would NEVER vote for a law outlawing it. That is counter productive for one, and it trods on the rights of others to be free and do as they see fit.

There are a lot of things I don't agree with (and don't do) but I don't think they should be outlawed just because I don't like them. That is a VERY slippery slope. Start down that road and where does it stop?

Keep in mind, if open carry is gone then your right to conceal is going to become more strict. I could see it becoming a law that if any part of your firearm shows that it would be considered open carrying.

Think about that for a moment, is that what you want? Some states are already that way... I'm THANKFUL every day that Minnesota is a 'carry' state, doesn't matter if it's open or concealed. I enjoy wearing an OWB holster with a shirt untucked and not having to worry if my gun shows when I pick up my kids or grab an item from the top shelf.

I just ask that you seriously consider the consequences... I understand how the few ruin it for the majority in open carry, I don't want to see the same happen here with the few ruining it for everyone.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Keep in mind, if open carry is gone then your right to conceal is going to become more strict. I could see it becoming a law that if any part of your firearm shows that it would be considered open carrying.

Think about that for a moment, is that what you want? Some states are already that way... I'm THANKFUL every day that Minnesota is a 'carry' state, doesn't matter if it's open or concealed. I enjoy wearing an OWB holster with a shirt untucked and not having to worry if my gun shows when I pick up my kids or grab an item from the top shelf.

I just ask that you seriously consider the consequences... I understand how the few ruin it for the majority in open carry, I don't want to see the same happen here with the few ruining it for everyone.
    Is open carry going somewhere?

I hope not... That was more 'what if' based than anything, just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Is open carry going somewhere?
    Depends. In Ohio I'd worry more than I do in Alabama. ALL gun owners/carriers need to realize one thing, the anti gun crowd is tireless in their ignorance. They fight our rights at every election, every lobbyist dinner, every back alley deal, every shady source, they are ALWAYS fighting to take down your right to own and carry a gun.

We must be just as vigilant, or we will wonder what happened. It'll happen slow, but it will happen........if we let it.
    Civil_Response and TN_Mike like this.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links