For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

This is a discussion on For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm Alot of folks cry about their rights all the time. I could give a damn less if they passed a law ...

View Poll Results: Would you support a law that did not allow for open carry?

Voters
411. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 3.65%
  • No

301 73.24%
  • I'm against open carry but support those who do so.

87 21.17%
  • Yes, but with exceptions for handicapped or those unable to carry otherwise.

8 1.95%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Alot of folks cry about their rights all the time. I could give a damn less if they passed a law banning open carry, as long as they do not forbid carrying any other way. Way more important stuff in life to worry about anyway.
    This is EXACTLY the type of attitude I was referring to when I said that if you consider yourself pro-gun but are anti-OC then you are at least partly supporting an anti-gun position.

How would YOU feel if I was for outlawing CC as long as OC was still ok to do? Being for or even ok with any form of carry being outlawed is only furthering the anti-gun agenda. How the hell can you not see that?
    thephanatik and tcox4freedom like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

I'm not anti-OC but if the OC-crowd has an image problem with their fellow gun owners due to the conduct of a sizable number of OC adherants within their midst (and they undeniably have an image problem, even with gun owners) then they may expect a measure of resistance to their "education" efforts with the population at large.

Think about it.
    OD* and MitchellCT like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I OC and CC I think OC should be almost as disceat as CC. I dont support ANY gun control laws, however, this isnt Tombstone AZ. I dont think I need to OC, my Super Redhawk 454 casull to go to Burger King. But that is me.
    MIA/POW , Bring em home or Send us back

If I were sitting in the same Burger King across from you and your 454 Casull in plain sight and minding your own business it wouldn't worry me one bit. It has everything to do with the behavior of the individual, nothing to do with the presence of a weapon.
    OD*, Majorlk, TN_Mike and 1 others like this.

I may be a little late to this party but, shouldn't there be another poll option that says, No, but I would not exert any effort to oppose a law banning it.
    Guest1 likes this.

I have'nt wanted to comment on this,so as not to "Stir" it up,but can't help it,I support O.C/C.C,I don't support Billy Bob,in his $5.00 holster,just cause he can,some people will carry O.C. not ever thinking about the safety of the weapon,as we all know thugs are more brazing these days,and just cause you O.C.does'nt mean your not a target,let's face it some people are dangerous enough to society,without carrying a firearm

Quote Originally Posted by SamF View Post
    I may be a little late to this party but, shouldn't there be another poll option that says, No, but I would not exert any effort to oppose a law banning it.
    I don't think that's true at all. I doubt any of us are remotely in favor of any additional gun laws. Anyone serious about preserving the RKBA is bound to be put off by the adolescent behavior of some of the attention seekers and the cop baiters but we certainly don't want another law to live with just to keep a few idiots from looking foolish. Good grief...we have enough laws already!!
    AIRWAR likes this.

Look at the poll, their are members that would support laws banning open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Those are Brady plants.
    Guest1, Majorlk and CountryGal like this.

I'm sure they're here, at a minimum reading.

It's more likely to be the snake you don't see that will bite you.

I'm sure they're here, at a minimum reading.

It's more likely to be the snake you don't see that will bite you.
    Some people oppose open carry without really thinking it through. It's usually a knee jerk reaction to an individual or individuals who seem to have the sole purpose of drawing attention to themselves while exercising their "rights". They yank the chains of law enforcement often enough that eventually law enforcement responds and then they complain to anyone who will listen that they are the innocent victim of an oppressive and draconian government out to strip them of their constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

We had one of those individuals in my state. He eventually succeeded in getting his handgun carry permit revoked by the state. I've not seen anything in the news about him for several months now.

Those individuals are rare. Although they garner a disproportionate amount of attention while they are carrying on with their shenanigans, they do not represent the majority of people who open carry. If people stop and think about it, they realize that. But, we are a society that doesn't stop and think often enough. We make snap judgements. The Duke University lacrosse scandal was an example of that.

I don't care how people carry as long as they carry safely. I would hope that they carry in a manner that presents gun owners everywhere in a good light, but I'm an old man and I don't always get what I hope for.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Open carry is just not for me, I strongly urge people not to give up the advantages of concealment. If there was a law against open carry I would be against it. We should have the right to decide how we carry.

VIP Member
    You'll have that in a free society.
    Bkrazy likes this.

Hey GNR... What's wrong with in the 21st century us gun toting Americans keep our guns covered so that we don't, ONE alert the BGs to just who is armed should they want to pounce and create havoc, and TWO, upset the folks out there wonder around planet earth without a clue that there's plenty of folks other that would just as soon steel, rob , rape and murder as look at ya. I say, keep your secret weapon a secret. JMO, but in some cases and I have no idea how many do verses who doesn't, but I think some like to open carry so others can see um doing it... Again my opinion, but this isn't the old west and like it or not, a lot of folks look at a gun as a icon of death and destruction and anyone that's got one without a badge must be up to no good. Not our fault for not wanting to draw unwanted attention to ourselves. All the OC supporters should focus their anger and frustration on the ones that really cause the mess, like the guy walking down the street with an AK strapped over his shoulder touting it's legal so he's gonna do it.... IMO, the guys an idiot, and he actually hurts the cause more then he helps it. End of story.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

WOW...some folks sound like they are antis in sheep clothing. I see no difference between a person wanting to remove ones right to carry or own a weapon and someone else wanting to tell one how you can carry. Both are trying to impose their beliefs on someone else. I am still looking for the clause in the constitution where you have the right to not be offended. I guess freedom and liberty is a pain in the butt when you cant dictate your beliefs on others.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links