For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

This is a discussion on For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let's throw this in the loop... What's worse: 1. Open carrying and leaving nothing to be discovered. 2. Carrying concealed and having an 'oops' moment, ...

View Poll Results: Would you support a law that did not allow for open carry?

Voters
411. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 3.65%
  • No

301 73.24%
  • I'm against open carry but support those who do so.

87 21.17%
  • Yes, but with exceptions for handicapped or those unable to carry otherwise.

8 1.95%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

Let's throw this in the loop...

What's worse:

1. Open carrying and leaving nothing to be discovered.
    2. Carrying concealed and having an 'oops' moment, meaning your gun is shown because you grabbed from the top shelf or (insert other common reason here).

Personally, I'd be more suspicious of the oops moment. I realize more people are likely to see your weapon open carrying, however the affects of an 'oops moment' might stir more questions. I think in general a lot of people assume someone open carrying is some sort of LEO, I'm not sure they'd get that impression if your gun was concealed but now visible - that gives more the impression of someone trying to hide something.

What are your thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I would say it is, yes.
    Now lets say he is carrying his rifle to the local indoor range for target practice? What then? Before my health failed I would on occasion throw my rifle over my shoulder and walk to the outskirts of town for some plinking.

Michael
    When you "threw the rifle over your shoulder" and went out for plinking, did you have television crews following you? Did you post stuff to the effect of "I'm going plinking with my rifle tomorrow and I'll just bet the cops stop me and infringe my rights. Y'all come and bring your cameras and recorders."

You're smarter than that. I know it. I'm not against open carry. I'm against jerks with guns behaving badly regardless of how they carry. But, just because I'm against it doesn't mean the jerks are going to stop doing it.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Let's throw this in the loop...

What's worse:

1. Open carrying and leaving nothing to be discovered.
    2. Carrying concealed and having an 'oops' moment, meaning your gun is shown because you grabbed from the top shelf or (insert other common reason here).

Personally, I'd be more suspicious of the oops moment. I realize more people are likely to see your weapon open carrying, however the affects of an 'oops moment' might stir more questions. I think in general a lot of people assume someone open carrying is some sort of LEO, I'm not sure they'd get that impression if your gun was concealed but now visible - that is more the impression of someone trying to hide something.

What are your thoughts?
    I'm fortunate enough to live in a state that allows you the option of carrying how you see fit. I carry a compact 1911 in an OWB holster the majority of the time. I throw a shirt, sweatshirt, or jacket over it to make it inconspicuous. It is by no means "concealed" by the strictest definitions. There are the tell-tale lumps, an occasional print, and if you follow me long enough to arouse suspicion you'll probably catch a glimpse of the bottom of the holster as I reach for something. I've been carrying a couple of years and have never had anybody say one word. Not one. Standing next to a cop with the light fragrance of Hoppe's #9 coming from a freshly cleaned gun...not a word. But, I'm not out to prove a point or educate the public.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I'm lucky to live in a state that is simply a 'carry state' as well... however that doesn't matter to anyone who doesn't know people can legally carry a firearm.

To those people, what would be more shocking - the plain open gun, or a once hidden gun that has been revealed?

I'm lucky to live in a state that is simply a 'carry state' as well... however that doesn't matter to anyone who doesn't know people can legally carry a firearm.

To those people, what would be more shocking - the plain open gun, or a once hidden gun that has been revealed?
    I don't know. I've simply not run into the problem. Once you start carrying, you start to notice others who carry, at least I do. I see people open carry, not many, but some. I watch them walk through department stores, grocery stores, the local Lowes or Home Depot and I don't see people freaking out and calling security. They just go about their business and nobody looks like they are even paying attention. Glocks being as popular as they are, most of the time it's a black gun in a black holster on a black belt on a pair of dark jeans. I'm not sure people even notice.

I've not had anybody say anything to me, but I wear a cover garment. As I said, it doesn't always do that good a job of covering, but I don't worry about it. I suppose if I kept playing with it, checking to make sure it was in the holster, rested my hand on the grip while waiting at the checkout, hung a CCW badge around my neck, and did everything else that I could think of to look like a suspicious character; then somebody might say something and I would have the right to be offended and complain to anyone who would listen.

Wait, you have the badge? I thought the sash was in this year?

Dang it! Nobody told me!

Wait, you have the badge? I thought the sash was in this year?

Dang it! Nobody told me!
    LOL...I opted for the badge because the sash kept getting tangled in my holster when I practiced my quick draw at the mall. Being a lefty, you could probably safely go with the sash.

VIP Member
    I voted, "no" on this poll and intend to vote against CA 11-0056, an attempt to make my state of CA "shall issue". I oppose consistently more laws that favor power in the hands of government to the detriment of individual liberty. I believe that test of a vote makes for a better country and one that the founders intended.
    Living in CA, I don't carry anyway, but in TN, in my somewhat limited experience, I chose not to open-carry due to issues of retention, sacrificing the element of surprise, and just keeping grey among neighbors, friends and family. None of this implies that I should prohibit or sidestep the natural right of others to open carry.
    CA 11-0056 does not correct October's ban of open carry in CA, albeit an unloaded open carry. It accepts other infringements that I can't stomach voting for as a compromise for "shall issue".
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

eb

Open carry is legal in Colorado for the most part as well.

I tend to think most people are fairly oblivious in general, however there is no question that an openly carried gun is going to be noticed far more often than a concealed gun. The open carry position that "most people don't even notice or care" I think is nothing more than providing a false sense of security or justification for ones choice to openly carry. Of course most people aren't going to stare at you or say anything to you, and pretend you don't exist... you've got a friggin gun!! Are you SO sure that all those people didn't notice?

I think for the anti's, the sight of a firearm in general, on anyone other than a uniformed LEO, is "shocking" and alarming. Why give them more opportunities to be shocked and alarmed by wielding the thing openly, and as such, more opportunity to wage a legal war to remove your right from shocking them in the future?

I'm still waiting to hear any well thought out and reasonable justification to carry openly in most public areas in the US. Given the number of people out to take away these rights, it just seems like a request to have that right removed out from under you. With so many good and reliable methods of concealed carry, and so many guns of various form factors, I just see no reason to "advertise". Open carry seems like an "in your face" approach, and while perfectly legal in some areas, that type of approach usually only works when you're already winning or in the majority...

Harryball and Al Lowe like this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Thanks for the insight Bubbiesdad, most helpful.

FWIW
    I've only openly carried a couple times, but have carried OWB (not overly concerned about a cover garment) more. I do typically carry IWB although I don't care for it much.

Just so everyone knows, I'm not a 100% open carry individual myself... not sure if I mentioned that yet or not so I wanted to get that out there since others were stating how they carry as well.

eb
    I carry OWB or IWB, but always concealed. The method depends on the gun. I like to carry an XD 45 compact, which is a fairly large gun, and as such IWB works better for that one so as not to "poke out" from under the clothes when moving around. I've warmed up to the Remora holster as of late, it never moves around, and can be positioned as desired...

The only time I've ever openly carried was when I was out hunting with some friends, in the middle of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I know it sounds bad to say this but. I am more afraid of my neighbors vote than I am of any firearms he has.

Michael
    You and me both!
    Thunder71 likes this.

sgb
    There was a time when concealed carry was considered unmanly. "This is the right guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States, and which is calculated to incite men to a manly and noble defence of themselves, if necessary, and of their country, without any tendency to secret advantages and unmanly assassinations." (a portion of a cite in Heller)
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Although I'm a firm CC'er, I do acknowledge the OC points and generally support those who wish to do so.

I do cringe at the memory of seeing a 'Joe Dirt' swaggering about with a G21 in his thigh rig (Seeing this in real life could turn just about anyone into an 'anti').

What I honestly, really want is "Virginia Tuck" carry. It removes the fashion statement that draws the toolbags like moths to a light bulb on a trailer porch, but still allows for a discreet carry method that allows for quick access. Oh well - I gotta dream...
    sixsccw likes this.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Links