For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you. - Page 9

For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

This is a discussion on For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Thunder71 Since some members here are quite open about their opinions against open carry, and have written reason upon reason why they ...

View Poll Results: Would you support a law that did not allow for open carry?

Voters
411. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 3.65%
  • No

301 73.24%
  • I'm against open carry but support those who do so.

87 21.17%
  • Yes, but with exceptions for handicapped or those unable to carry otherwise.

8 1.95%
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Since some members here are quite open about their opinions against open carry, and have written reason upon reason why they and others shouldn't do so, would you be against a law that did not allow open carry?

The way I look at it, if you're so openly against it there should be some 'yes' votes coming in - after all, you do provide fuel for the anti-gun groups (you do realize that organizations like the Brady Campaign read these forums, right). If even gun owners speak out against open carry it won't be long until your quotes are put to the test, if they aren't already.

So please, take a moment if you will and answer honestly - I'm genuinely curious, and this is an anonymous poll.

The way I look at it, if you're so openly against it there should be some 'yes' votes coming in - after all, you do provide fuel for the anti-gun groups

How so?

Let's throw this in the loop...

What's worse:

1. Open carrying and leaving nothing to be discovered.
    2. Carrying concealed and having an 'oops' moment, meaning your gun is shown because you grabbed from the top shelf or (insert other common reason here).

Personally, I'd be more suspicious of the oops moment. I realize more people are likely to see your weapon open carrying, however the affects of an 'oops moment' might stir more questions. I think in general a lot of people assume someone open carrying is some sort of LEO, I'm not sure they'd get that impression if your gun was concealed but now visible - that gives more the impression of someone trying to hide something.

What are your thoughts?

What's worse:

2. Carrying concealed and having an 'oops' moment, meaning your gun is shown because you grabbed from the top shelf or (insert other common reason here).

Personally, I'd be more suspicious of the oops moment

Why?

I realize more people are likely to see your weapon open carrying, however the affects of an 'oops moment' might stir more questions. I think in general a lot of people assume someone open carrying is some sort of LEO, I'm not sure they'd get that impression if your gun was concealed but now visible - that gives more the impression of someone trying to hide something.What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that the above statement is the stuff that makes the crops grow well.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Let's throw this in the loop...

What's worse:

Personally, I'd be more suspicious of the oops moment. I realize more people are likely to see your weapon open carrying, however the affects of an 'oops moment' might stir more questions. I think in general a lot of people assume someone open carrying is some sort of LEO, I'm not sure they'd get that impression if your gun was concealed but now visible - that gives more the impression of someone trying to hide something.

What are your thoughts?
    I carry all the time, and have gone to considerable effort and expense to ensure I never have those oops moments, thereby leaving everybody completely unconcerned about my LEO/BG status.
    Bubbiesdad and bmcgilvray like this.

I agree, some open carriers do seem to go looking for their next YouTube video - however I don't feel that is the majority, they just stand out unfortunately.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    But, they "choose" to stand out.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by SamF View Post
    I may be a little late to this party but, shouldn't there be another poll option that says, No, but I would not exert any effort to oppose a law banning it.
    Not opposing any law seeking to ban a form of carry is just emboldening the anti-gunners to go after CC next. Simple as that. You would be helping the anti-gun/anti-carry crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Some people oppose open carry without really thinking it through. It's usually a knee jerk reaction to an individual or individuals who seem to have the sole purpose of drawing attention to themselves while exercising their "rights". They yank the chains of law enforcement often enough that eventually law enforcement responds and then they complain to anyone who will listen that they are the innocent victim of an oppressive and draconian government out to strip them of their constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

We had one of those individuals in my state. He eventually succeeded in getting his handgun carry permit revoked by the state. I've not seen anything in the news about him for several months now.

Those individuals are rare. Although they garner a disproportionate amount of attention while they are carrying on with their shenanigans, they do not represent the majority of people who open carry. If people stop and think about it, they realize that. But, we are a society that doesn't stop and think often enough. We make snap judgements. The Duke University lacrosse scandal was an example of that.

I don't care how people carry as long as they carry safely. I would hope that they carry in a manner that presents gun owners everywhere in a good light, but I'm an old man and I don't always get what I hope for.
    You are talking about that Jerk who called himself Kwikernyou on the OC.org boards. He was walking around Nashville with a AK/Draco slung across his back if I remember correctly. He was a jackass and he get exactly what everyone was telling him was coming his way.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    WOW...some folks sound like they are antis in sheep clothing. I see no difference between a person wanting to remove ones right to carry or own a weapon and someone else wanting to tell one how you can carry. Both are trying to impose their beliefs on someone else. I am still looking for the clause in the constitution where you have the right to not be offended. I guess freedom and liberty is a pain in the butt when you cant dictate your beliefs on others.
    EXACTLY RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    As far as I am concerned, those who have no desire to defend OC are just as dangerous as the most rabid anti-gun loon.
    I agree completely.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Cool

I do both,what I feel like doing at the time.It's a freedom I enjoy.It's also nice to have people ask about it and trying it them selves.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I voted
    I'm against open carry but support those who do so.
    I'm not against the legality of open carry, I'm against it for me. I prefer concealment. I would never support any law against OC (Iowa is a carry state, though few have pushed the law and open carried).

If there were an OC "event" in my surrounds, I would gladly attend... but I would be carrying concealed. It is true that at one time CC was considered more "threatening" than OC. "Assassins" and criminals were the type of people who would carry concealed... But then, in those times we had duelling. For matters of "honor."

We no longer allow duelling with pistols or swords in defense of one's "honor."

OC is fine with me if that's what floats your boat. But if you're doing it to teach all the "sheeple," then my perception is that you are doing it from a perspective of being better than them... and you ain't. If you're doing it because it is your preferred method of carry, fine.

I don't like people who give out religious tracts to "educate" me, either. And I feel the same about them.. they are acting "superior" and they ain't.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Could it be that this is more of an issue with educating the general public?
    You bet it is, man - all of us here take it for granted that we each understand our motivation to carry in the first place. It's tough to grasp why so many sheeple don't get it. And it seems like the majority of them don't WANT to get it, causing even more frustration on our part.

I legally drive my car every day, and unless I do something wrong - nobody bothers me. If carrying a gun openly is legal, why is there any harassment in the first place
    Part of that, I believe, stems from the fact that your driver's license represents something (in every state) - that you studied a bit, trained and practiced some, and had to demonstrate at least marginal expertise before getting the license. On the other hand, more than a few of the relatively uninformed general sheeple know that not all carry permits are created equal - some permits represent that you were taught the penal codes + safety instruction + live fire practice, etc. Other permits mean you gave a sheriff $25 and Gander Mt $600. Makes the sheeple nervous, not knowing in each case what or who they're dealing with.
    The answer, I believe, is standardization in training (law and safe handling, not necessarily marksmanship), and both sides shutting up and moving on.
    Civil_Response and baren like this.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

I would never support a law that takes any honest, law abiding gun owners rights away. But at the same time, I do NOT open carry. To each his own.

smitty
    Glock 19 gen 4
    M&P 45c
    Mossberg Maverick 12g
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    This qualifies as confrontational behavior in my opinion. Your opinion may vary.

Gunman vows to continue carrying AK-47 to parks | Nashville City Paper
    Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    This guy is a selfish jerk, he has been banned on every forum he has been on because of his grandstanding.
    Selfish Jerk indeed but as I recall he got more than a few "attaboys" on the forum some months back from people who believed he was exercising his rights and that to not support him would be somehow unholy.

Yep. He believes his need to openly carry an AK in public is just as righteous as those here who support and practice OC. But, many of those same people condemn him. Two faced is what it is.

Actually I support his cause much more, because at least he has enough sense to openly carry something that will really do some damage.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    It's not him with a rifle on his back it was in his hands, and marching around. Honestly, its more of personal grudge. Tried talking to him once, was a complete @&$*?#3. He wants attention, he is the internet troll offline. So please don't defend him to me, he lies, and picks fights with everyone for the fun of it.
    NYCrulesU and TN_Mike like this.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Kwikrnu (Leonard Embody), that's who we are speaking about, is a nimrod. Plain and simple. He went about his "agenda" like an assinine fool and wound up with more attorney's fees than he can afford, permanently lost his carry permit (do you seriously believe they will EVER give him one again?) and in a short time has done more harm to the 2A than any anti ever could have.

Period.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    Kwikrnu (Leonard Embody), that's who we are speaking about, is a nimrod. Plain and simple. He went about his "agenda" like an assinine fool and wound up with more attorney's fees than he can afford, permanently lost his carry permit (do you seriously believe they will EVER give him one again?) and in a short time has done more harm to the 2A than any anti ever could have.

Period.
    Lenny OC'd to prove a point, but can't top the point on his head.

He has been banned from numerous discussion boards.

My vote was "NO" for the record. While I do not like OC myself, if that's what you prefer,(as long as you're not a Lenny type character), then do it.

Richard M Nixon
    Jeff Cooper

Still cant phathom people who want to or support removing the rights of other law abiding citizens. Along the same path, I dont drink so lets ban all alcohol. As a reformed smoker, lets ban that to. While we are at it, lets ban tattoos. Are my points becoming rediculous? Of course, but once you start removing individual rights because someone become offended or scared or just doesnt agree with you, they eventually get to something YOU believe in. I guess it is wrong at that point huh? This isnt about open carry IT IS ABOUT THE REMOVAL OF WHAT SOME OF US BELIEVE IS A RIGHT!! Guess what? Your "belief" that open carry is wrong is just that.

People say that open carriers get defensive. I say everyone should get defensive when others try to take away your rights. If I told you that concealed carry proved to me that you were stupid and walk in fear of people, I think you open carry bashers would most likely take offense. Concealed carry bashers are in a way worse than antis walking around. At least antis have a position. The "bashers" support your right to carry but look down their noses at the way you do it. They take on an air of superiority. They know better than you do becuase they are smarter and we as adults should know better. Open carriers, in their opinion, are show offs, immature and not worthy to carry in a way in which you dont approve of. The bashers would have open carriers walk in fear that we might upset, offend, aggravate, or scare the general public.

While I most carry concealed, I do on occasion carry openly. I am absolutely against those who want to remove my right to carry as I see fit as the law allows. All I can say is at least I know where an anti stands. For what it is worth, some people open carry because they dont believe in "asking permission" from the state to BEAR arms (at least here in NC) and it is a moral stance on their rights. They may not be as good or smart as the bashers but i respect their reasoning. If you cant support open carry, fine that is your stance but quit trying to EDUCATE me on how goofed up I am for doing so. I'm done.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I am opposed to open carry but would not support a law banning it.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links