Another OC acknowledged as a deterrent.

This is a discussion on Another OC acknowledged as a deterrent. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The police in Ohio even acknowledged it. Openly carried firearms do deter crime. What would have happened if he had been concealed? OC may have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Another OC acknowledged as a deterrent.

The police in Ohio even acknowledged it. Openly carried firearms do deter crime. What would have happened if he had been concealed?

OC may have prevented a crime/LEO encounter.

Well here is what happened to me last night:
    I went over to Youngstown Ohio around ten to take advantage of the lower gas prices. As I stepped out to insert my card, a car with three black males in their early 20s pulled up in a late model buick regal. Not to be stereotypical, but they were all dressed in typical banger attire, with one exception that really stood out to me: each one wore a black hat that was facing the right way and pulled down low. This struck me as odd. One went into the store and walked around and appeared to be looking at everything and nothing at the same time. I saw the guy inside throw a thumbs up to the guys outside. One guy got in the driver seat and started the car. The other guy started to walk toward the store entrance, walking about 5 feet away from me. As he walked by I saw him glance at me. I was turned strong side facing him.

What happened next, to my mind, can only be attributed to the fact that I was OC.
    As he drew parallel to me, he looked at me, looked at my firearm, looked at me again and stopped. He stared at me for about 5 seconds (I think) and I kinda stared back. He turned around and went back to the car, getting in the passenger seat. He got his cell phone, and ten seconds later the guy in the store came walking out. He looked at me as he passed by but didn't say anything. He got in the car and they left.
    More details at the source. alert! Put the coffee down before reading his exchange with the police.

2. Remove Ads

"Officer 1: That's going to stay in its holster, right?
    Me: It typically does unless I tell it otherwise."

Alternative reply: No, it typically gets out and does a buck-and-wing across the floor in front of me.

What a lousy exchange between officer and OC'er. Both could have been more professional.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Details!! Manufacturer, caliber, rig, etc....
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post

Alternative reply: No, it typically gets out and does a buck-and-wing across the floor in front of me.

What a lousy exchange between officer and OC'er. Both could have been more professional.
    Exactly.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Your lucky the one walking past you, that stopped and looked at youfor 5 sec didn't try to take it away from you, if their intent was to rob the store. He might have taught you were LE.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

The police in Ohio even acknowledged it. Openly carried firearms do deter crime. What would have happened if he had been concealed?
    Good story. Maybe the OC thing worked here. Maybe it could have turned out much differently.
    I guess the deterrent value of OC as well as the tactical pros and cons can always be argued either way. I have to do what makes tactical sense to me and that means that the only time the bad guy is likely to know I'm armed is just before the lights go out for him.
    gorilla45 likes this.

Administrator
    I have 0 issue with the conversation between the officer and OC'r. Whats wrong with it?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I have 0 issue with the conversation between the officer and OC'r. Whats wrong with it?
    I don't see anything wrong either. The cop just doesn't want the citizen to be handling the firearm while he is there. Not to say that the cop felt that the citizen was going to start shooting somebody. Look at it this way, some cops may be quite a lot worse and demand to take possession of the citizen's firearm until the ordeal is over.
    Majorlk, TN_Mike and BurgerBoy like this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post

Lets don't turn this into a thread bashing Uncle Mike's holsters.

Michael
    TheGiant and RemMod597 like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by sureshot1 View Post
    Your lucky the one walking past you, that stopped and looked at youfor 5 sec didn't try to take it away from you, if their intent was to rob the store. He might have taught you were LE.
    How many accounts of this happening can you document? It's reached mythical porportions.
    Majorlk likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    To be honest, no one really knows if his OC deterred a robbery or not. The only thing we know for a fact is that criminals fear coming up against an armed victim. This has been documented many times from interviews with convicted criminals. Carry however you feel comfortable with and is legal in your state.
    tcox4freedom and JerryMac like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Here is my take, from my understanding how the criminal element thinks.

It was not the gun itself that thwarted the possible crime about to take place. It was the perception that the only people who carry guns are BG's and cops. I'd wager that the thugettes saw the holstered gun and assumed the guy was a cop. These types do not care of even think about confrontation while carrying out these types of crimes. They only care about getting caught.
    dukalmighty likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If thug comes at me while i'm pumping gas,he will get doused,if he is dumb enough to discharge a gun while in a gassy environment I hope I can dive for cover as he shoots before his street name gets changed to flambo
    Majorlk likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

mel
    My take is the guy OC'ing went home to his loved one's.
    TN_Mike and Charles07 like this.

Similar thing happened to a friend of mine at a convenience store in Meridian Idaho last summer.

Not sayin it was, but, very similar.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links