Benefits to Open Carry? - Page 2

Benefits to Open Carry?

This is a discussion on Benefits to Open Carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My incentive and my mission is to protect mine and myself as effectively as possible. Open carry is not the method I believe to be ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Benefits to Open Carry?

VIP Member
    My incentive and my mission is to protect mine and myself as effectively as possible. Open carry is not the method I believe to be the most effective means for me to accomplish those ends.
    bmcgilvray and jdcjr like this.

Gunsnroses, Be a man and OC by your self. I do when I OC. I flip back and forth OC and CC. It depends where and what I am doing. I don't like being called a coward. I have been afraid many times but never a coward. Your flipping excuse for using the word "coward" was flimsy at most. You could have used a better term. I am trying to be polite.
    Welcome Aboard. Sorry for the heat.
    Semper Fi
    BurgerBoy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Implying any kind of link between CC and cowardice is arrogant and insulting. There's a variety of reasons why people choose CC that have nothing to do with the fear of confrontation. One of my reasons is that I often take my wife to medical appointments in hospitals, many of which have posted no guns (not enforceable by law, but sufficient grounds to be trespassed from the property).

Mostly I CC because I'm on a schedule and can't afford being delayed by panicky sheep or inquisitive LE. The rest of the time I CC because my IWB holster was already attached to my pants from yesterday. I take OC seriously for the reason I stated: being visibly armed makes you a representative of ALL gun owners. If I'm not mentally prepared to be a good representative, or I can't afford to spare the time for questions (which I'm pleased to say has never happened while OCing) then I won't do it.

OCers are a minority in the world of gun owners; they're also the highest profile target for gun grabbers. As an OCer, you need the support of the rest of the gun community and it's probably a good idea to NOT alienate them with implications of cowardice.
    So much nonsense in this post I don't even know where to begin, nor to I have the energy to address the many ridiculous statements.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    bmcgilvray +10

I got a bit emotional and wordy but I think we are both riding on the same=train of thought. I too tried to pointed out some verbal impotency.

The 2A needs too no doubt, be defended, but, there are many more that are reasonably going about it, then those that are not. And the are not`s need to chill and support more with their vote and not so much with their voices sometimes.

This an`t the Wild Wild West we are living in people. The times have changed. That is why some people are against CCW let alone OC. The numbers are coming around into our favor though, thanks to the support of some LEO`s and Mayors who are coming out and suggesting because of their budget cuts and having to layoff LE staff, that their responsible upstanding law abiding citizens legally get a gun, learn how to safely handle it, respect it, and take a class and get a CCW. Because they can't be their for us like they used to because of all these budget cuts.

I am in favor of, and a supporter of our 2A Rights. But there is a right way and a better way to win over those whom are not.

But because of the perception some people have of some of those that insist they must be able to OC, in the way that some present themselves who insist we have to be able to, they always trout out the 2A to defend their arguments and hide behind, and then the way they rant-and-rave on stomping their feet while hounding on about their believes, it is sometimes hard not to precept some of these supporters as "Historical Western Outlaw" want-a-be`s.

Quote Originally Posted by SamF View Post
    Lots of benefits to OC. Faster draw. Dress normal or properly. I don't have to dress like a slob with my shirt untucked. Don't have to wear jackets in the summer or a man purse. And, people tend to be a little more polite on the few occasions they notice. I've been doing it for years and have interacted with police on a number of occasions; I've never been stopped for it or delayed because of it.
    so shirt untucked is a slob?
    BurgerBoy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kurtsara View Post
    It was when I was growing up. But, as they say times change.

Michael
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Well California is about to enforce some funky new gun laws ... I think ... doing away with OC? But I think the only OC you can/could do there anyways was only if your gun was un-loaded???

And LEO`s can not tell by just looking at your OC gun if it is loaded or not, so as of Jan. 1, 2012 no more OC Is this true??

They are also working on an ammo law similar to the one in Illinois where you have to have a permit card of some kind to just buy ammo? And in California they will register your ammo purchase similar to when you buy a firearm???

You read sooooooo much around the WWW ... what is going on in the surf-coast area

Well, maybe not so much anymore, but it's a dead give away you're probably packing a concealed weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    Well California is about to enforce some funky new gun laws ... I think ... doing away with OC? But I think the only OC you can/could do there anyways was only if your gun was un-loaded???

And LEO`s can not tell by just looking at your OC gun if it is loaded or not, so as of Jan. 1, 2012 no more OC Is this true??

They are also working on an ammo law similar to the one in Illinois where you have to have a permit card of some kind to just buy ammo? And in California they will register your ammo purchase similar to when you buy a firearm???

You read sooooooo much around the WWW ... what is going on in the surf-coast area
    Actually, they're "forcing" OCers to OC long guns instead. The new law only bans OCing an unloaded handgun.

Of course, now they're facing a federal lawsuit about their ban on loaded OC, so who knows. Something to keep a close watch on.

In my mind the BGs always will have an advantage over us. I think the biggest advantage we have is the element of surprise. I'd hate to give that up by OCing. Has nothing to do with avoiding awkward situations with the sheep or with LEO. Nor does it have anything to do with cowardice, no matter how you define it.

Well, I've been watching this thread for a little bit now. I'll wade in....

On the issue of "surprise". This is amazingly over rated. I have OC'ed for quite a while. I have walked into a grocery story with a Glock 23 on my right hip in a Blackhawk SERPA and the spare mag on my left hip, wearing a white shirt and light tan pants. No way the gun was "blending in" with my clothes. I have watched peoples faces and saw that maybe one out of every 20 noticed that I was armed. OC or CC, if the SHTF and you are there armed, to almost anyone within sight it will seem like you suddenly had a gun in your hand. Surprise being a major plus to those that CC is largely a myth and something that people who only CC and rail against OC tell themselves to make themselves feel better about espousing, at least in part, and anti-gun/anti-carry mentality.

I find it interesting that there are quite a few people out there on our side who CC every day and who are dead set against any of us OC'ing. they rant against it. They have no problem being partly inline with the Brady's. Because that what they are doing you know? They are agreeing in part with the Brady bunch. And in doing so only aiding them as they can point to forums like this and say "See? Even many of their own allies say they shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun openly!" They tell us we are foolish for doing it. Yet, I have never seen or heard of an OC'er who rails against anyone who CC's. Never seen or heard an OC'er say you shouldn't be allowed to CC. Why are there those out there who would be fine with denying OC but don't seem to understand that OC is tied inexorably with CC? It is all the same right. If you allow part of it to be stripped, all of it will soon be gone. If OC were outlawed, it is just a slight tweak to carry it to its next logical step and get rid of CC as well. After all, how does that thin layer of fabric make your concealed gun less offensive to the gentile sheeple than my gun that is not covered? Once they make that slight leap in logic, then we all lose.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I too disagree with the element of surprise logic. That only works in an offensive situation. If a situation is bad enough that I need my gun I want it RTFN. Not on a belly band under a tucked shirt unless that is my ONLY option for carrying.
    TN_Mike, NYCrulesU and BurgerBoy like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goett047 View Post
    I too disagree with the element of surprise logic. That only works in an offensive situation. If a situation is bad enough that I need my gun I want it RTFN. Not on a belly band under a tucked shirt unless that is my ONLY option for carrying.
    No belly band, no tucked shirts, no surprises. What is considered fast with a retention-type open carry set-up?

With a SERPA its like drawing from a regular open top holster

Society may be more accepting of impropriety but that doesn't change the fact that it is still poor behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by DocPMD View Post
    In my mind the BGs always will have an advantage over us. I think the biggest advantage we have is the element of surprise. I'd hate to give that up by OCing. Has nothing to do with avoiding awkward situations with the sheep or with LEO. Nor does it have anything to do with cowardice, no matter how you define it.
    This surprise nonsense is the weakest link in the anti-OC argument. The OCer is accused of artificial bravado by using a gun to inflate his stature but the anti-OCer claims that he wants to surprise the BG with his gun. Am I the only one who thinks that this is some perverse and deadly form of entrapment? Wouldn't it be better to dissuade the BG from attempting the crime?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links