Benefits to Open Carry?

This is a discussion on Benefits to Open Carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well personally I could care less how you carry. OC or CCW as long as you are totally legal to do so. And not just ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Benefits to Open Carry?

Well personally I could care less how you carry. OC or CCW as long as you are totally legal to do so. And not just doing it for some macho fuzzy feeling! Heck I might even do it myself at times if I could. But we can not in my area. For the good or bad of it, or what ever.

But if as some of you have stated and, are on the train of thinking that they would rather be OC'ing in a SHTF situation, give this some thought too> don't you think that maybe; when whom ever decides to go bonkers and just start shooting that seeing you OC'ing a gun they might say to themselves, yo self ... that person has a gun standing over there, and once I start bangin um off they are going to start shooting at me so I think I better shoot them first!!

So there would be a good element of ... surprise !!!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamF View Post
    Society may be more accepting of impropriety but that doesn't change the fact that it is still poor behavior.
    This surprise nonsense is the weakest link in the anti-OC argument. The OCer is accused of artificial bravado by using a gun to inflate his stature but the anti-OCer claims that he wants to surprise the BG with his gun. Am I the only one who thinks that this is some perverse and deadly form of entrapment? Wouldn't it be better to dissuade the BG from attempting the crime?
    I don't want to surprise, alarm or startle anyone, hence my pistols always remain concealed.
    smolck likes this.

Society may be more accepting of impropriety but that doesn't change the fact that it is still poor behavior.

This surprise nonsense is the weakest link in the anti-OC argument. The OCer is accused of artificial bravado by using a gun to inflate his stature but the anti-OCer claims that he wants to surprise the BG with his gun. Am I the only one who thinks that this is some perverse and deadly form of entrapment? Wouldn't it be better to dissuade the BG from attempting the crime?
    This one has me flabbergasted. It brings up visions of bad guys in court making the case that they were victims of entrapment because the armed citizen who took them down hadn't made them aware ahead of time that he was armed. Of all the arguments made for open carry this one takes the blue ribbon for most ridiculous.
    Last edited by wmhawth; December 11th, 2011 at 09:56 AM.

I find it funny that you think of a shirt not being tucked in as impropriety.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Surprise being a major plus to those that CC is largely a myth and something that people who only CC and rail against OC tell themselves to make themselves feel better about espousing, at least in part, and anti-gun/anti-carry mentality.

I find it interesting that there are quite a few people out there on our side who CC every day and who are dead set against any of us OC'ing. they rant against it. They have no problem being partly inline with the Brady's. Because that what they are doing you know? They are agreeing in part with the Brady bunch. And in doing so only aiding them as they can point to forums like this and say "See? Even many of their own allies say they shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun openly!" They tell us we are foolish for doing it. Yet, I have never seen or heard of an OC'er who rails against anyone who CC's. Never seen or heard an OC'er say you shouldn't be allowed to CC. Why are there those out there who would be fine with denying OC but don't seem to understand that OC is tied inexorably with CC? It is all the same right. If you allow part of it to be stripped, all of it will soon be gone. If OC were outlawed, it is just a slight tweak to carry it to its next logical step and get rid of CC as well. After all, how does that thin layer of fabric make your concealed gun less offensive to the gentile sheeple than my gun that is not covered? Once they make that slight leap in logic, then we all lose.
    +1
    Well said, I agree on all accounts.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I would only point out further that the second amendment talks about the right to keep and bear arms. No where in that amendment does it spell out the manner in which one must or even should bear the arms. Carry of arms is carry of arms be it concealed or openly. It is all the same right being exercised. Why some on our side would be for doing away with one mode of exercising a right that they profess to love and cherish bewilders me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    Well personally I could care less how you carry. OC or CCW as long as you are totally legal to do so. And not just doing it for some macho fuzzy feeling! Heck I might even do it myself at times if I could. But we can not in my area. For the good or bad of it, or what ever.

But if as some of you have stated and, are on the train of thinking that they would rather be OC'ing in a SHTF situation, give this some thought too> don't you think that maybe; when whom ever decides to go bonkers and just start shooting that seeing you OC'ing a gun they might say to themselves, yo self ... that person has a gun standing over there, and once I start bangin um off they are going to start shooting at me so I think I better shoot them first!!

So there would be a good element of ... surprise !!!
    Assuming the person going bonkers even notices. In my experience, the vast majority doesn't even see my weapon when I'm OCing. And anyone who is going bonkers is not about to think rationally in any event.

OK I'm grabbing a can of worms and looking around for a can opener?

Amendment II
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

When I read this I picture a modern-day group of walkers coming at us carrying rocket-launchers. When our Forefathers wrote the above they carried single-shot flint-lock loaded through the muzzle muskets and similar musket type handguns and those musket-rifles were as long as Ben Franklin was tall, they are better known today as black-powder firearms. No 6-round revolvers no 6 let a lone 33-round semi-autos that fit in a pocket no assault rifles that can be hidden under a t-shirt no etc modern-day weaponry. Back then, I don't think they could very well have CC-ed one of those it must of all been all OC. Yo Mr. Jefferson why the powder pouch hanging from your neck? OH you can see that?

When people do go bonkers and start shooting up stuff they seem to pick out a target like this recent one at the VA College, he shot a LEO. You don't think these kooks don't look around first? What they just think hhummm here's a good spot and just pull out their gun and start shootin away? And about 99% of these individuals are not legally allowed to have a firearm in their possession in the first place are they? So LE and all the tree muggers should really work on that issue. So Mr. Al Lowe ... you have experienced this first had?

If some BG confronts you and your OC-ing what, what they "doesn't see" your big oh 44mag hanging off your belt? So when "they puts" a gun in your face or to the head of your loved one's and sez "hay you show me the money hunny or I pull the trigger!" and because your OC-ing now your going to out-draw this said BG? What are you some Wild Wild West Hugh O'Brian now?? But if this said BG comes up to you and doesn't know you got a what ever you can CC in your pocket and just thinks you are digging out your wallet to hand over and you pull out a pocket-rocket and stick it in up their nose I'll bet they lose their blather control! Hum in ah Hum in ah Hum in ah ... Ya think?? Oh did I say blather? I meant bladder.

OC vs CC = if some scumbag knows I have a firearm he is going to approach me a lot differently "if at all" but if they do not then they could pull a knife or just pretend to have a weapon, or OK maybe point a firearm at me, but when I do pull out a gun from where ever and they had no idea I could, they could / I said could \ simply turn and run away!!

You think OC is right for you and you can do it responsibly and want to show off that $,$$$,$$$.$$ Gold pistol have at it. But you do have a responsibility to do it responsibly, and if you think CCW is the way to go you still have a responsibility to do it responsibly too.

Instead of worrying so much about fighting over OC vs CCW you should be upset about what is currently taking place in places like California and Illinois with their Gun Laws.

Oh G&R ... if they did have OC in Tampa, FL would you only do it with a group? Or do they allow OC-ing in FL?

Quote Originally Posted by hrufrdr1 View Post
    I live in Springfield, MO, where it is technically legal to open carry. What is my incentive to do so? Don't get me wrong: if I had my choice, we could all open carry, and devil take the hindmost! But what do I gain? Making the 'sheep' nervous? Unwanted/undeserved LEO attention? Because I can? I carry openly on my property and in my car--why anywhere else? Just asking!
    Aside from the many Pro's of OC that have been listed, how about preserving your rights while you still have them? If your in MO and talking about unwanted/undeserved LEO attention, then it's already beginning! My home state (MA) has terrible gun laws and it's all thanks to people hiding there guns for to long and then not standing up for themselves after the fact. Cops can only do so much if your not breaking the law! When and if people call in to the cops and they show....then leave when they can't do anything to you is when it starts to sink in to peoples heads that there's nothing wrong with a guy carrying a gun on his hip! The sheep aren't worried about our "feelings" when they protest and do everything in their power to take out rights away. Why the hell would we care about theirs?

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    OK I'm grabbing a can of worms and looking around for a can opener?

When people do go bonkers and start shooting up stuff they seem to pick out a target like this recent one at the VA College, he shot a LEO. You don't think these kooks don't look around first? What they just think hhummm here's a good spot and just pull out their gun and start shootin away? And about 99% of these individuals are not legally allowed to have a firearm in their possession in the first place are they? So LE and all the tree muggers should really work on that issue. So Mr. Al Lowe ... you have experienced this first had?

The last time I looked, LEOs where uniforms. Most OCers do not. That could be why the LEO at VT was shot. If they look around at all, it's for the obvious threats to them, the LEOs for one.

When I worked as a security guard in the Chicago area, many moons ago, I was working in a bowling alley. (Yes, the bowling alley wanted armed security). On one particular night, there were a couple of drunk and disorderly type fellows who were bugging this one family, to whom the ex-girlfriend of one of the drunks, was a member of. I politely informed them, their presence was no longer desired, and that they should vacate the premises, before I'd be forced to contact local law enforcement. During the time I was following them out, they chatted loudly among themselves, saying how since I only had a nightstick, they should turn around, take it from me, and beat me up. (Their language was a bit more colorful). I followed them to the door, and through it, without saying a word. Once we were all outside, they got a little braver, and decided to follow up on their plan. I simply pulled out my .357 magnum revolver, and held it muzzle down, and said to them, "Are you blind drunk, as well as stupid?" When they realized I did have a gun, they got in their truck and left.

Administrator
    OK - I had to delete about 10 posts from this thread.
    If you cannot comply with the forum rules and remain civil then you are dooming every "open carry" thread to eventual deletion.

Important: New Open Carry Forum - Please read
    This new forum is being established in response to those of you that want a place to discuss open carry, in those States that legally allow it, without leaving this forum.

This is, as most of you know, a deviation of our previous policy of discouraging open carry threads. The policy was put in place several years ago when there seemed to be a confrontational tone to many of those threads. Like everything, though, things change in time, including DefensiveCarry.

While our policy has been changed and we now encourage the posting of threads regarding open carry, we will continue enforcing our rules regarding civility within the forum. This forum will not allow the endless debate of "us vs them". We are all gun owners that believe in the right to carry, either openly or concealed and it's time that we start understanding that we are all on the same side. We are all responsible gun owners that follow the law whether we agree with them or not.

In establishing this new forum, I am asking our members to help "self-police" it by using the report feature should you see a thread heating up. If the decision to include open carry in our topics turn into a disaster, this forum will be removed and we will go back to the way things previous to this change.

As always, enjoy the forum!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links