Does open carry stop criminals...

This is a discussion on Does open carry stop criminals... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In this story it did not, In fact the OCer died..... Teen homicide suspects have criminal histories | Richmond Times-Dispatch...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Does open carry stop criminals...

In this story it did not, In fact the OCer died.....

Teen homicide suspects have criminal histories | Richmond Times-Dispatch
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

2. Remove Ads

Wow that is a seriously bad story. I personally do not OC, but do most people that carry this way use a holster with retention to prevent this kind of situation? I would assume Mr. Tyler was not using such a holster.
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

Very unfortunate. Thought and prayers to the families.

When I open carry it is in a Serpa Blackhawk CQC retention holster. AND, situation awareness is firstmost important regardless of how you carry or not carry.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    A serpa could be difficult to operate or require two hands if you're not the one wearing it unlike my Fobus that only has retention via a rubber spacer. It works well, but if you yank it out it is coming out, so I wish they made a serpa for a Walther PPS. I personally only OC when hunting, outside working around the house or just around the home. Pretty much I always conceal when I am out in the public because I don't want people to know I have a gun. I've always believed that OCing would have more chance of making me a target than actually deterring a situation, and would chose to keep that element of surprise.
    wmhawth, RockStrongo and JerryMac like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    I've pretty much worn a groove in my hip so that I prefer IWB these days. I even like it for hunting because there's nothing for the brush to grab.

This is the first story I've seen in a long time of a person being targeted for their gun. Of course, I've always known it could happen. But I still strongly support OC and hope my state allows it eventually. I'm not sure if Virginia has the death penalty, but if they do I hope these creeps are tried as adults and put to death.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I've pretty much worn a groove in my hip so that I prefer IWB these days. I even like it for hunting because there's nothing for the brush to grab.
    Same here. I don't even own an OC holster.

VIP Member
    My prayers go out to the families affected by this tragedy.

Thanks for posting this HB. Not much to comment on for now but I am sure it will be used as an example for a long time to come.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

The guy grabbed his gun THEN he chased him into the store? What's wrong with this picture? Also yeah if you're OC-ing you need a retention holster.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

There is absolutely no way to quantify that question. Who knows how many instances went unreported--or even noticed.
    Chief1297 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

There is absolutely no way to quantify that question. Who knows how many instances went unreported--or even noticed.
    There are a lot of folks that think having one on your hip is a deterrent to crime, at least thats what I have been reading. It would seem to me, that BGs are not scared and OCers could be targeted more. This specific case is the main reason I do not open carry.
    sixsccw and JerryMac like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I personally consider open carry amateur carry.
    IWLAFART likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Get ready for the avalanche.....
    JerryMac likes this.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I personally consider mouse avatars childish.

As to the OP, you will find stories going both ways. I doubt you will ever see a definitive answer one way or the other on the subject.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Truly a sad story. I believe this is the first actually incident of an OC'er being robbed, and tragically killed with his gun. There are some people out there that are not afraid to get in a fight, however most criminals out there only pray on weak victims. There are still far more stories out there of OC preventing crime there than is of OC'ers being targeted for their gun. This tragically sounds to me like a case of the wrong holster and lack of training. The benefits of OC'ing still outweigh the risk to me. I will continue to OC for as long as it is comfortable for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links