Alabama Open Carry

Alabama Open Carry

This is a discussion on Alabama Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just looked at the recent reciprocity map, and I could have sworn MN and AL had an agreement in place. Now doing a little due ...

Thread: Alabama Open Carry

Alabama Open Carry

Just looked at the recent reciprocity map, and I could have sworn MN and AL had an agreement in place. Now doing a little due dilligence I find MN/AL don't have an agreement.

So what are we looking at in regard to open carry in Alabama?

I do not know about the reciprocity as it stands regarding OC. However, just realize in Alabama you do not have to have a permit to OC BUT you have to have a concealed carry permit to carry a loaded gun in the car. So if you are going the OC route, once you get into your vehicle the gun must be unloaded and stored away from your ammo.

Compared to some states, AL doesn't have all that great a reciprocity. I solved that problem by getting an UT permit. If I did it now, I'd probably go the AZ route, since that gives you a few more states and much less training requirement.

smolk is correct in that a permit is not required to OC; however one is required to either CC or carry in a vehicle. Your MN permit won't work in AL, so I'd invest in an UT or AZ permit before you come to AL.

A lot of good info here: Alabama Open Carry Community - Index

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    Compared to some states, AL doesn't have all that great a reciprocity.
    I've heard it is because it is a may issue state. I have also heard it is because we don't require any training. I wish I knew, does anyone out there know?

Mostly because of the training issue. Alabama does not require any type of training whatsoever before it will issue a pistol permit, many other states, don't like that.

Check out Alabama Reciprocal Gun Law Chart, and you'll see lots of "Reciprocity not available due to more stringent (State name here) laws"..
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

I can kind of understand other states not having an agreement with Alabama. I just walked in the sheriff's office, handed the lady $20, and 10 minutes later she was taking my picture and I was walking out the door. But what about getting a UT or AZ permit? Do they issue to people who do not live in their state? If that's the case, fantastic. Due to Alabama's reciprocity laws, it appears I can't carry out of the southeast hardly.

Both UT and AZ issue to non-residents. UT requires an AL CWP now (as of May), they didn't require it before then. I got mine in April. UT requires an UT-specific class, costs is about $65.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd go for the AZ permit, about the same cost, no specific training required and very slightly better reciprocity than the UT permit.

ETA: The AZ permit won't work for MN, sorry.

Good luck.
    Last edited by FTG-05; December 19th, 2011 at 09:38 AM.

There are quite a few states out there that require full reciprocity, or none at all. I know Minnesota is fairly selective in who they offer reciprocity to, as they require similar training, background checks, etc. For some states, that just allow anyone to obtain a permit, without any training or background check, Minnesota does not honor those permits. In those cases, the other state follows suit. I believe this to be the case when it comes to Alabama.

Hope this helps.
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

Quote Originally Posted by ecrist View Post
    There are quite a few states out there that require full reciprocity, or none at all. I know Minnesota is fairly selective in who they offer reciprocity to, as they require similar training, background checks, etc. For some states, that just allow anyone to obtain a permit, without any training or background check, Minnesota does not honor those permits. In those cases, the other state follows suit. I believe this to be the case when it comes to Alabama.

Hope this helps.
    Minnesota does not play well with others! MN does not recognize my IA Resident permit so I had to get a MN non resident at the tune of $100

Quote Originally Posted by yanks_178 View Post
    Minnesota does not play well with others! MN does not recognize my IA Resident permit so I had to get a MN non resident at the tune of $100
    That is crazy. I never knew that MN didn't recognize IA. I am thankful for IA for being so nice as to recognize MN.

Thank you to the rest of the responders to my OP.

I have to get a UT permit to finally realize more freedom.

Sponsored Links