Open carry states ; list? - Page 2

Open carry states ; list?

This is a discussion on Open carry states ; list? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am sure you all are smart enough to do your research, but be aware that just because a state listed on that map is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Open carry states ; list?

I am sure you all are smart enough to do your research, but be aware that just because a state listed on that map is OC doesn't mean you shouldn't check the laws around OC. In Alabama (my state) you can OC with no permit, but the second you enter a vehicle with a loaded firearm you must have a CC license whether the pistol is openly carried in said vehicle or not. Stupid, maybe, but law nonetheless. I am sure other states probably have little nuances like that as well.
    Last edited by smolck; December 16th, 2011 at 09:53 PM.
    Majorlk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I guess I just want people to understand that Utah is a VERY OC friendly state. Maybe even "gold star" material
    thanks for the info, I'll be visiting UT in a few weeks and plan on bringing my gun along, I probably will not be OCing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledork View Post
    You're the kind of guy that would complain about carrying a 10 pound gold brick 100' from the bank to your car.

I dont think I was complaining at all, just pointing out as others have that they shouldnt rely solely on info from the link posted.

Interesting link, but some of the info needs to be updated. For one thing, Ohio now allows carrying concealed in establishments that serve alcohol as long as the establishment has not posted and as long as the individual does not drink alcohol nor has had any alcohol to drink.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by dbrow6272 View Post
    Minnesota is an open carry state, but I would not carry in that manner. This is liberal land, especially in the "Metro" area where I live. Maybe when I go to my lake home where people are way different I may consider it but normally I always conceal. If it isn't seen i'm not the target!
    Minnesotan's need to quit bad-mouthing our own state. I've been carrying openly here for a few years now, and I've had NO problems. None at all. And I carry in all the best, and all the worst places. Every where from the local library (in a building with a court house *GASP*) to 1st Ave and 6th St at 2am. The only problem you would have is yourself.

Also, http://www.handgunlaw.us is another great place for this sort of information. Gary works hard to keep the information up to date.

Cheers.
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

Careful about relying on these maps. I noticed several errors!

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Careful about relying on these maps. I noticed several errors!
    Certainly you've pointed them out to the appropriate web master so they can fixed, right?
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I had completely forgotten about this site. Thanks, JD!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

WY Constitutional Carry is misleading. Constitutional Carry is for WY residents ONLY.

Im from PA and i can tell you that it is legal here to open carry. But usually only hunters in the woods carry like that because guaranteed you would get harrassed by the cops if you walked around town with a sidearm on your hip! I think gun laws are bull crap we the people should be able to carry any gun in anyway at any time!!!

I am more comfortable CCing, but I appreciate WA State's OC option in case Mr Steyr shows when I reach for something on the top shelf at the store.
    Better to perish in the fight for freedom than live to see defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by dbrow6272 View Post
    Minnesota is an open carry state, but I would not carry in that manner. This is liberal land, especially in the "Metro" area where I live. Maybe when I go to my lake home where people are way different I may consider it but normally I always conceal. If it isn't seen i'm not the target!
    In my Minnesota class the instructor told us I wouldn't tell in the metro area if you are pulled over that you have a permit. They may take it because they can! I stay out of the twin cities area as much as possible. Very liveral there and their vote is what puts the state wide elections to the liberal side!!

Their Iowa law isnt right, their is no open carry in Iowa. Although they did pass a shall issue status last year the sheriff told me when I applied for mine, when it was still may issue, it was not an open carry state. No other state honors their permit either, you can take the test online, without shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by 1hogfan83 View Post
    Their Iowa law isnt right, their is no open carry in Iowa. Although they did pass a shall issue status last year the sheriff told me when I applied for mine, when it was still may issue, it was not an open carry state. No other state honors their permit either, you can take the test online, without shooting.
    When are people going to learn to not ask about the law from law enforcement officers - and then spreading the answer as if it's the last definitive word on the subject.

This took about 2 minutes to find and I don't even live in your state (bottom of the first page) and C&Pd below (emphasis added): http://www.dps.state.ia.us/asd/SF2379_FAQ.pdf Note that this source is the Iowa Department of Public Safety, Division of Administrative Services, i.e. the people in IA that administer gun permits in IA.

"QUESTION: Under the new law, do I have to carry my handgun concealed?
    ANSWER: Iowa law has not changed in this regard. You may carry concealed or you may carry openly; however, most permit holders
    carry concealed to avoid making it obvious that the person is armed, thus avoiding unnecessary attention, concern, or alarm."

And the bigger issue is this: It's up to each responsible gun owner to know and understand the firearm laws of their state. The "responsible" part of that sentence means you go find out the actual law and not depend on hearsay.

Here are the actual laws for IA for firearms/weapons: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/DOCS/ACO/...hapter.724.pdf

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links