Open carry states ; list?

This is a discussion on Open carry states ; list? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice link JD. Thanks. Originally Posted by sigmanluke Per the link provided by JD, the Utah link is slightly misleading. It states that the minimum ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Open carry states ; list?

Nice link JD. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Per the link provided by JD, the Utah link is slightly misleading. It states that the minimum age to OC is 18, which is true, however it also states (in parenthesis) that a valid permit is required, which is not true. Anyone 18 or older may OC without a permit if the gun is "Utah unloaded" (2 actions from firing). The permit is only require to carry a "loaded" (chamber loaded) gun OC.

I also find it interesting that those states in yellow are called "gold star open carry states" which I can only assume are considered the "best" by the makers of the map, then, in orange are the "open carry friendly states" which would be the next best. In green there are "licensed open carry states" which Utah is included in. While this is not technically true, I guess that due to requiring a permit to OC with chamber loaded, they are considering Utah to require a permit.
    Utah is the ONLY state I can find that protects gun rights on school campuses. Some states are "not statutorily prohibited" and some are "generally legal", but if you are caught carrying you can still face "academic sanctions". Utah statute specifically protects you from these "academic sanctions".

I guess I just want people to understand that Utah is a VERY OC friendly state. Maybe even "gold star" material
    I always carry 2 steps from firing. Draw & aim.

2. Remove Ads

I have looked at some threads and "searched for this answer. I am a Colorado resident and I enjoy OC. I frequent Utah a very gun-friendly state, but it states Licensed-Only OC, would me CO residence and no OC permit, allow me to OC in Utah or no?

"Summary
    Utah allows unlicensed open carry of a firearm that is at least 2 actions from firing. For example, a semi-auto may have a full mag but the chamber must be empty. Permit holder may open carry as well, but their firearms may be fully loaded."

--I have found this info, does it pertain to non-residence as well?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TopGunRMNP View Post
    "Summary
    Utah allows unlicensed open carry of a firearm that is at least 2 actions from firing. For example, a semi-auto may have a full mag but the chamber must be empty. Permit holder may open carry as well, but their firearms may be fully loaded."

First off, IANAL. Since your CO permit is recognized in UT my guess is you would be considered licensed carrying for OC purposes. I'd check with the UT State Police to verify it though.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hobobum View Post
    but it looked to me as if it would take a week of reading leagal-ese that I don't always understand, so.........
    thanks
    Be careful & take heed my friend.
    Depending on opinion and/or the internet for factual information can be quite risky.

Carrying is a huge responsibility. Taking the time to read the "legal-ese" is (your) responsibility.

Also, keep in mind, general OC or CC does not give you the entire truth...You must be aware of local ordinances that have the "weight of law."
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Quote Originally Posted by revjen45 View Post
    I am more comfortable CCing, but I appreciate WA State's OC option in case Mr Steyr shows when I reach for something on the top shelf at the store.
    Alot of states have wording in their CC laws that address this type of instance. An accidental showing of a concealed weapon like the example you gave is NOT considered "brandishing"...notice I said "ALOT" and NOT "ALL".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TopGunRMNP View Post
    "Summary

YES, Utah does not differentiate between residents/non-residents with gun laws. Anyone (resident or not) who can legally possess a firearm may OC in Utah, even without a permit (but without a permit it must be "Utah unloaded".
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Montana. We can open carry at 14!

In God and Glock we Trust

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links