Open carry states ; list?

This is a discussion on Open carry states ; list? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; does anyone know which states allow open carry, and if they are also gun-friendly? I know the internet has a lot on this, but it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Open carry states ; list?

Open carry states ; list?

does anyone know which states allow open carry, and if they are also gun-friendly?
    I know the internet has a lot on this, but it looked to me as if it would take a week of reading leagal-ese that I don't always understand, so.........
    thanks

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator

Great link JD!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

PERFECT , thanks

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by hobobum View Post
    PERFECT , thanks
    You're welcome.

Iowa Information is a bit outdated. Iowa has been shall issue for almost a year now.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkx4 View Post
    Iowa Information is a bit outdated. Iowa has been shall issue for almost a year now.
    well, nobody's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    well, nobody's perfect.
    I agree, but if there is one mistake there are more, and not having the current information can get you in alot of trouble. Laws change quickly, and I understand how hard it would be to keep a site like that updated.

Nice link. Opencarry.org usually does a pretty good job.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

this site makes the same mistake every site makes, while NJ law permits OC for people with pistol carry licenses NJ rarely issues licenses, the reality in NJ is that few if any carry legally, concealed or OC

Good link but they have a big job keeping it current. As info, Tennessee is neither a OC or CC state. Our law is for a Handgun Carry Permit--the legislature didn't specify which way. Also, carry now is allowed in any place that serves alcohol BUT you can not have any thing to drink--nada, zip, taste, etc. Local parks can opt out of the state law allowing carry so watch out because they weren't specifcally required to post signage. . The correct worded sign or a gun buster sign have weight of law in TN everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by mlkx4 View Post
    I agree, but if there is one mistake there are more, and not having the current information can get you in alot of trouble. Laws change quickly, and I understand how hard it would be to keep a site like that updated.
    You're the kind of guy that would complain about carrying a 10 pound gold brick 100' from the bank to your car.

CowboyColby likes this.

Minnesota is an open carry state, but I would not carry in that manner. This is liberal land, especially in the "Metro" area where I live. Maybe when I go to my lake home where people are way different I may consider it but normally I always conceal. If it isn't seen i'm not the target!
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready" TR

VIP Member
    Per the link provided by JD, the Utah link is slightly misleading. It states that the minimum age to OC is 18, which is true, however it also states (in parenthesis) that a valid permit is required, which is not true. Anyone 18 or older may OC without a permit if the gun is "Utah unloaded" (2 actions from firing). The permit is only require to carry a "loaded" (chamber loaded) gun OC.

I also find it interesting that those states in yellow are called "gold star open carry states" which I can only assume are considered the "best" by the makers of the map, then, in orange are the "open carry friendly states" which would be the next best. In green there are "licensed open carry states" which Utah is included in. While this is not technically true, I guess that due to requiring a permit to OC with chamber loaded, they are considering Utah to require a permit.
    Utah is the ONLY state I can find that protects gun rights on school campuses. Some states are "not statutorily prohibited" and some are "generally legal", but if you are caught carrying you can still face "academic sanctions". Utah statute specifically protects you from these "academic sanctions".

I guess I just want people to understand that Utah is a VERY OC friendly state. Maybe even "gold star" material
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Kansas is not right, yes you OC- per the state- but in some towns it's a no-no

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links