"See That Man? He's Going To Shoot You!"

This is a discussion on "See That Man? He's Going To Shoot You!" within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the correction should have been made... yes but but you should have taken off you belt and handed it to her and said "this is ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: "See That Man? He's Going To Shoot You!"

the correction should have been made... yes but but you should have taken off you belt and handed it to her and said "this is the right way to deal with him"
    Dumbledork and RMS like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    But, he wasn't concealed at that moment, which is perfectly fine. It wasn't a "Put yourself on display...." He was carrying in a perfectly legal manner of HIS choosing. He posted his story in the OPEN CARRY section of the forum. I just can't figure out why the cc crowd here trolls this portion of the forum so often. Every thread seems to draw someone to espouse their cc gibberish to let us OC'ers know how much better cc is. We don't go to your concealed carry section and stir you guys up.

In my opinion of the op's actions and not having ever had a situation like this happen to me... I think it would have been better to reduce the comments to a milder state. but, I'm not so sure I could have done that either and may have done and said the same thing. Also may have notified the store management of her comments just to be proactive to anyone listening nearby that didn't know how the event started
    Open carry is public display, no matter how disparaging you may find that observation to be. This is a defensive carry discussion board. Does calling me a troll somehow make your point of view more legitimate?
    Dumbledork and Vaquero 45 like this.

Display in the sense that it was there. Your post came across to me that you felt it was an intentional "put yourself on display". there is a difference between just being there and being on display. If I am driving my car it is not on display. If I am open carrying my 1911 it is not on display.

Yes, it is a defensive carry discussion board. There is a Concealed Carry section and an Open Carry section. I just find it amazing that the cc crowd comes in to the oc section to espouse that their way is better. I don't think the oc crowd goes into the cc section and claims that cc'ers have to hide behind whatever. Seems like every thread has that happen here. That is the definition of trolling. Sorry to rant today. Didn't get my coffee this morning.

So, Mike, how about a cup of coffee with me this morning? Moxie or Starbucks, You can cc, I'll oc and we'll both enjoy a good coffe and talk about guns, fishing or whatever. Well, next time you're in the area or I am in yours anyway.
    Dumbledork and thieltech like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Display in the sense that it was there. Your post came across to me that you felt it was an intentional "put yourself on display". there is a difference between just being there and being on display. If I am driving my car it is not on display. If I am open carrying my 1911 it is not on display.

Yes, it is a defensive carry discussion board. There is a Concealed Carry section and an Open Carry section. I just find it amazing that the cc crowd comes in to the oc section to espouse that their way is better. I don't think the oc crowd goes into the cc section and claims that cc'ers have to hide behind whatever. Seems like every thread has that happen here. That is the definition of trolling. Sorry to rant today. Didn't get my coffee this morning.

So, Mike, how about a cup of coffee with me this morning? Moxie or Starbucks, You can cc, I'll oc and we'll both enjoy a good coffe and talk about guns, fishing or whatever. Well, next time you're in the area or I am in yours anyway.
    Marion County, Ohio is a very long way from Nampa, Idaho, but thanks for the offer. I am drinking a cup of Old Bisbee's Cerro las Ranas del Salvador as I type. I try not to put too much emotional attachment to particular words. Unless one's car is parked in the garage with the door down, it is on display, subject to the commentary of blue light shoppers wherever one may go. With a firearm, it is unrealistic to expect everyone to react with discrete decorum by pretending they do not notice.
    INccwchris likes this.

I guess it is dependent on "What the definition of ..." display is. And, not going about with the thought that no one will notice.

Gotta go, lots to do today with my 1911 "on display".

All have a great day today and Merry Christmas!
    thieltech likes this.

I respect your right to open carry if you state allows it.....I live in Texas where it is not allowed.

There has been talk about allowing open carry in Texas, but even if passed I don't think I would do so for two reasons:

1) IMO one of the biggest advantages to concealed carry is that the "bad guy" doesn't know you are armed. If he sees you're armed, he may just shoot you first or take your weapon....... in any case open carry removes your element of surprise.

2) I've read and seen several videos on Utube where in some states were OC is allowed, the armed citizen still receives quite a lot of harassment from law enforcement and private citizens. Not saying this is right because it's not, but OC does put it out there for everyone to see.

Again, don't misunderstand where I'm coming from. I fully believe we have the right to be armed under the 2nd amendment, but I just don't see a real advantage to open carry.....

I live in Texas where it is

Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    IMO one of the biggest advantages to concealed carry is that the "bad guy" doesn't know you are armed. If he sees you're armed, he may just shoot you first or take your weapon....... in any case open carry removes your element of surprise.

*facepalm

Administrator
    I think the OP did fine. Try wearing a uniform and have people say stupid crap like that all the time... Like
    "see that officer?, I'll have him throw in in jail" to their kids- Way to go brainy ac. Or the ever annoying "I didn't do it" or "arrest him" Whatever... what a way to show off your unimaginative and lack of intellect brain.

When people do that to their kids, I'll almost always go out of my way to be extra nice and engage the kids with a friendly conversation and out the parents as meat heads. That way, they'll remeber the friendly officer that made them laugh, and not hide from me when they are lost etc.
    Dumbledork, ks kid, RMS and 5 others like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I am not usually one to interfere with a person's methods of dealing with there children but, I don't think I could have walked away from this one either.

Good job.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

Distinguished Member
    I don't even see this as an OC issue, it's not like the lady was freaked out by it. Instead she was threatening violence on her child from a stranger. IMHO, that is not cool and I think the OP did just fine. She needs to suck it up and learn how to discipline and not attempt to bestow her problem upon someone else, even if hypothetically.
    SIGguy229, pfries and Dumbledork like this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I don't even see this as an OC issue, it's not like the lady was freaked out by it. Instead she was threatening violence on her child from a stranger. IMHO, that is not cool and I think the OP did just fine. She needs to suck it up and learn how to discipline and not attempt to bestow her problem upon someone else, even if hypothetically.
    It is not an OC issue as I see it either but if the woman had responded in kind to the OP's comments and the situation escalated to a full blown verbal confrontation witnessed by other shoppers it could well have become an OC issue with a life of its own. I don't open carry myself but if I did I would try to steer clear of conflict and drama in places like Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledork View Post
    This what what I heard last night at my local Walmart. I was there with my girlfriend, doing some Christmas shopping. I don't generally like to open carry in Walmart, but after walking around for an hour, my coat got too hot, so off it came. I got some looks, but no issues, until we got to the toy section. Some lady had a couple of kids with her. One of them, who looked to be about 4 or 5, was acting pretty horribly, just screaming, kicking his feet, and carrying on. I'd expect that from a toddler, or a kid still in diapers, but not a kindergartener. I just ignored it and kept walking. The lady was trying to hush the kid, without much success, then she saw me walking past, and told the kid, "See that man? If you don't shut up, I'm going to tell him to shoot you! Then you'll be quiet, won't you!"

That bothered me. It bothered me a lot, and I stopped and told her so. "Lady," I said to her, "if you can't handle your kid acting like a brat, that's your business, but don't use me like a damned boogeyman. I don't know you from Adam, and I don't need you using me to terrify your kid, for Christ's sake." My girlfriend thought it was funny, and that I may have overreacted, but I was really pissed.

I normally don't get mad when a stranger walks up to me and put their hands up and says, "Don't shoot!" I can tell they're joking. But this really got under my skin. What kind of person does that to their kids?
    You did the right thing Great Job

I'm sure I would have felt similar to you. I bet all she remembers of her "bad day" was her kid being bratty and being confronted by a man with a gun. Seeing how young kids tend to be afraid of stern talk from a stranger, I probably would have looked at the kid and told him "Santa was watching" and "he better 'mind' his mother."

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Whenever I acted like that brat, my mom hauled me outside the store and straightened me right out. I loved her all the more for it, too!
    My mom must have been mean, she beat on the spot if I looked like I was out of line.

I did it with my kids and and my oldest (who has 3 under 9) said she would never do that to her kids. She has had a change of heart and takes care of business. The kids are all well mannered.

I think you handled it ok. The lady was having a bad day and elected to bring you into it with a poor message to her kids. Sad thing is, those kids will remember that day and see guns as bad things.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links