"See That Man? He's Going To Shoot You!"

This is a discussion on "See That Man? He's Going To Shoot You!" within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ks kid I think you handled it ok. The lady was having a bad day and elected to bring you into it ...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: "See That Man? He's Going To Shoot You!"

Quote Originally Posted by ks kid View Post
    I think you handled it ok. The lady was having a bad day and elected to bring you into it with a poor message to her kids. Sad thing is, those kids will remember that day and see guns as bad things.
    My feeling is..Why handle it at all?

2. Remove Ads

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.
    wmhawth, carracer and Dumbledork like this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

This reminds me of a story that was published in the Readers' Digest many years ago....Probably the 60's.

A LEO was having lunch in a diner when he heard a mother tell her kid "Tommy, if you don't eat your peas, I'm going to have that officer arrest you."

The officer finished his lunch then approached the other table. "Jimmy", he said,"I'm 6 foot four and weigh 250 pounds and I NEVER ate a pea in my life!"

The story stuck to me all these years.

I wouldn't have got that upset. I would have just smiled and kept walking. You cant control what people say or what they may think, but you can control how you react to it. You run the risk of the woman causing a scene because you approached her and gave her a piece of your mind "Mr. bad ass with a gun walking around with it all exposed in a public place." Then the manager would ask you to leave and that store would have a "no weapons" policy.

Just my initial thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    I wouldn't have got that upset. I would have just smiled and kept walking. You cant control what people say or what they may think, but you can control how you react to it. You run the risk of the woman causing a scene because you approached her and gave her a piece of your mind "Mr. bad ass with a gun walking around with it all exposed in a public place." Then the manager would ask you to leave and that store would have a "no weapons" policy.

Just my initial thoughts.
    Well, the part about the store having a No Guns policy won't happen. Walmart's corporate policy has always been to follow the laws of whatever state that particular store is located in. There have been instances, not involving me, that customers have complained about people open carrying, and the managers have always refused to ask the person with the gun to leave. A manager might have intervened, but with the witnesses that were present, and there were a few besides my girlfriend, I doubt I would have been asked to leave.

This was an issue once for me at Starbuck's. One of the few times a person has ever caused a scene relating to me open carrying happened in one. A woman saw me with a gun on my hip, and began to give me attitude, calling me a bunch of names not fit for this forum. When I ignored her, she approached the manager of Starbuck's, demanding that she kick me out, but the manager refused to do so. "Ma'am, he's sitting down, drinking coffee, and reading a book. I saw you approach him, and harrass him. He doesn't have to leave." This is why, despite the fact that I don't really care for their coffee, I give them my business.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Put yourself on display, expect to get noticed.
    Noticed fine. Used to scare a kid not fine. I OC all the time it is my RIGHT please all you people who don't believe in OC don't berate those of us who do. It is like me saying if it is legal for you to OC and you don't your just plain stupid for not doing it. This is the most stupid debate ever carry how you want to when you want to but don't look down on people who don't feel the same way.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Like Mike1956 said "Put yourself on display, expect to get noticed" I think both his and my statements are good feedback. This would have been a NON- issue if you were concealed.
    You want him to conceal why? He is perfectly legal to OC. Wander if CC is so effective why do LEOs not do it on duty hmmmmmmmmmmm

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    One more reason for the list....

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Noticed fine. Used to scare a kid not fine. I OC all the time it is my RIGHT please all you people who don't believe in OC don't berate those of us who do. It is like me saying if it is legal for you to OC and you don't your just plain stupid for not doing it. This is the most stupid debate ever carry how you want to when you want to but don't look down on people who don't feel the same way.
    I hear what your saying. I fully believe in the right to OC. However, I dont believe you should walk around just waiting for someone to say otherwise to you.

I dont know who said it, or even if it was this forum but......"when you holster your weapon, leave your attitude in the safe."
    wmhawth likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    I hear what your saying. I fully believe in the right to OC. However, I dont believe you should walk around just waiting for someone to say otherwise to you.

I dont know who said it, or even if it was this forum but......"when you holster your weapon, leave your attitude in the safe."
    No attitude with me and I don't walk around waiting on someone to tell me different. If you read this thread and many other in the OC forum people post comments that say if you don't want to be confronted to OC. My point is I should NOT be confronted or made to feel like a second class citizen for observing my rights. The people who choose to OC are not the bad people. We have folks on this forum who say you need to CC to keep the upper hand I have asked many for proof of this none to be found as of yet. When the good folks of DC stat trying to suppress a persons rights by saying what you are doing is NOT the right way it just irritates me.

VIP Member
    To the op you did the right thing. Educating the sheep is the only way.

VIP Member
    Like I said, expect to get noticed. What is so insulting about that?

VIP Member
    No attitude with me and I don't walk around waiting on someone to tell me different. If you read this thread and many other in the OC forum people post comments that say if you don't want to be confronted to OC. My point is I should NOT be confronted or made to feel like a second class citizen for observing my rights. The people who choose to OC are not the bad people. We have folks on this forum who say you need to CC to keep the upper hand I have asked many for proof of this none to be found as of yet. When the good folks of DC stat trying to suppress a persons rights by saying what you are doing is NOT the right way it just irritates me.
    OK, it is your right to OC anywhere and everywhere you want to, and nobody should say anything about it. Unfortunately, that isn't how it sometimes works.

VIP Member
    To the op you did the right thing. Educating the sheep is the only way.
    Calling people sheep probably isn't going to make them particularly amenable to your method of education.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    OK, it is your right to OC anywhere and everywhere you want to, and nobody should say anything about it. Unfortunately, that isn't how it sometimes works.
    With the attitude in the firearms community that CC is the only way to go and for the firearm community to bow down to the heat of open carry haters then we will never gain any ground. I say that your attitude that open carry is bad hurts all firearm carriers.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links