Do You Remember the 1st Time?

This is a discussion on Do You Remember the 1st Time? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my permit about 3 weeks ago. I have had handguns for around 15 years or so. Once I got my permit I started ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Do You Remember the 1st Time?

I got my permit about 3 weeks ago. I have had handguns for around 15 years or so. Once I got my permit I started carrying my SW990L .45. About as concealed as I can get it. Still prints some. I cant get use to the IWB nope cant do it, cant stand it. Its just not for me.

2. Remove Ads

I carry IWB cross draw. About 30-45 degree cant depending on which hand gun I am carrying that day. It seems to be best for me in the truck and out walking around. But I'm new to CCW so I'm certainly no expert.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Congratulations on your permit and taking immediate responsibility.
    ~ Sigsi Paige

Full size Glock was my first choice.

Always a 2a supporter, but 4 minor thoughts made me a CC permit carrier, and also an NRA member.

1) One way to support 2a rights was to be a permit holder in and of itself. Numbers matter.

2) The regional power outage. I watched neighbors argue about a guy taking a bucket of water out of a large lake to flush his toilet. Guy with the bucket had not paid his access lot dues (was unemployeed). It did not get to out of hand beyond words, but all during those few days, in different situations, I heard people acting and talking in a way the put an edge on things.

3) BTK killer. I've been mugged, and honestly, I would rather give up my wallet then kill. Was mugged when younger and I did not have credit cards and a lot of cash. Also, I carried my driver's lic seperate. Now days, a mugging is more than the cash and wallet. ID theft is more common, very time consuming, and likely costly. Also muggings were getting more violent, and the indifference to human life taking or injury for $20 was shocking. Then the BTK killer. He torchered as family watched. While such a thing could happen even when armed, I wanted to at least have the peace of mind knowing I was prepared as I could be to stop such a thing.

4) Politics. While it felt like the country was supporting 2A, it also felt that it was an issue sometimes compromised on. Bush / Gore put it on my radar, as regardless of politics state or federal, it was a close election, and pre-heller, it was difficult to know coming down the pipeline of court cases, what the SCOTUS might say. While it might not be an issue if something anti-2a was passed, I wanted to be on the list of grandfathered, if grandfathering mattered.

Never became a true CC until I purchased my snub. The Glock is a gun I can't say enough positive things about, but when it comes to me and CC, the snub is the firearm that keeps me armed. I still OC / CC glocks based on the situation, but 95% of the time, it is a snub.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

My first carry gun was a Taurus PT-99, 9mm. I still have the gun and I often look at it and wonder how in the world I lugged that boat anchor around all that time.

The first time I carried it was in 1991 sometime. I don't remember where we went or what we did. I do recall feeling like everyone was looking at me, but in reality they weren't.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    ...The first time I carried it was in 1991 sometime. I don't remember where we went or what we did. I do recall feeling like everyone was looking at me, but in reality they weren't.

That seems to be a very persistent feeling for the first few times of carrying. I have heard many people say that they feel like they are carrying a glowing beacon of sorts.
    ~ Sigsi Paige

1976,I was stationed at RAF Bentwaters/Woodbrige in England,I was a USAF Security Policeman,Sidearm was a Model 15 38 spl Combat Commander loaded with 158 grain lead round nose,Rifle was an M16A1,also qualified on the M203 grenade launcher and M60 machine gun.After leaving the USAF I worked Security until I applied and was hired as an LEO,I carried a S&W model 39 off duty and a Model 686
    4" on duty loaded with Winchester Silver tips
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Sigsi Paige View Post
    Do you remember the first time that you decided to carry?
    Do you remember that first purchase and that first time you walked out the front door - and the responsibility you felt?

What helped you with your decision?
    What were your thoughts?

Tell us about it!
    The first time I decided to carry, I was living in a small apartment in a quiet neighborhood about 15 years ago. The apartment was in a house that had been split into three apartments. I lived upstairs, in the smallest unit. I had my 3 month old daughter that weekend with me. I wasn't a "gun guy" at that time. I was just indifferent to them. I had a shotgun my father gave me in the closet, and a box of shells next to it. It was an old Mossberg 500. I'd never shot it, or even loaded it.

Two girls lived next door to me. They were barely out of their teens, and had pretty wild parties nearly every weekend. The guests, over time, grew rowdier, and more and more often, they were the "urban", gangster types. More and more often, I found someplace to be on the weekends. This weekend, though, I had my daughter over. They were being loud, and I'd gone over twice to ask the girls to ask their guests to try and keep it down. The last time I'd asked, I had to call the police to break the party up. This time, the girls basically slammed the door in my face. I could hear them making fun of me, and calling me a bunch of filthy names. One of the guys asked them if they wanted him to come over and "teach me a lesson". I called my dad up, and asked him how to load the shotgun. When I was done with that, I laid it next to the bed, and laid down. This was around 10PM. Around 3AM, I got woken up by gunshots, and screaming. I immediately thought that the guy who I heard earlier was in my room shooting at me, but no one was there. I still heard screaming, now that I was wide awake, so I realized that I probably heard the shots, too. I checked on my kid, then I pushed her crib into the closet, pushed a file cabinet in front of it then went to check to see what ws going on. There was broken glass by my front door, and then I saw a bullet hole in my hallway. A girl was still screaming, and I could hear more panicking voices, too, then people running down the stairs, and someone screaming to call an ambulance. I peeked through my door, directly into the girls' apartment, and one of the girls was laying on the ground, covered in blood, and some guy was holding her in his lap. Some kid started banging on my door, asking for help. I yelled at him to get away from my door, or I was going to shoot through it. I called the police.

The cops showed up about 10 minutes later, and took everyone's statements, everyone who was still there. I spoke to them through my door, after explaining that my daughter was still sleeping. How she managed to stay asleep, I'll never know. The next day, I found out the girl died a few hours after getting to the hospital, and the guy that threatened me was the one who shot her, after getting into an argument with her over drugs. She was leaving her own apartment to go buy more beer, and he shot her in the back.

The guy was a local dealer, and gangster, and was wanted by the police already. I thought to myself, if they've been looking for this guy for over a year, and couldn't find him, I wasn't going trust them to do it anytime in the near future. I took my daughter back to her mother's house, and went and bought a handgun, and applied for a license to carry it. I knew how to use a 1911, because of my father, so that's what I bought. I lived in a quiet neighborhood, and a drug related murder happend less than 20 feet from where I was sleeping...where my baby was sleeping.

I called my landlord the following Monday, and told him I was moving out, ASAP. He was upset, as we were on good terms, and I was an excellent tenant, but he understood. He was looking to sell the house, anyway, and now this incident lit a fire under his ass, so to speak.

I didn't feel any sense of responsibility when I walked out of the store with my gun, anymore than I did previously. It was just something I hadn't thought about, and one incident brought the thought to the fore. As far as carrying a gun, I didn't give it that much thought, either. I started just sticking in in my pants behind my back, like my father did, until a friend of mine suggested a holster. I wasn't really interested in "gun gear" until recently. Even open carrying wasn't much of a big deal. No one said I couldn't do it, so I did it. It did become a thing, until it did.
    thieltech likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jwnewman View Post
    Carried for the first time this friday. Dec. 23rd. Got cc permit the 22nd. Glock 30. Wont leave hone without it now.
    Congrats. Glock 30 for me, too.

I've only been carrying since 2007. I was buying a pistol and the gun shop guy said I'd have to wait 48 hours for a background check before I could pick it up. If I had a concealed carry permit, I could have it in five minutes. So I paid the ten bucks and got the permit. Been carrying since then. Still have a lot to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledork View Post
    The first time I decided to carry, I was living in a small apartment in a quiet neighborhood about 15 years ago. The apartment was in a house that had been split into three apartments. I lived upstairs, in the smallest unit. I had my 3 month old daughter that weekend with me. I wasn't a "gun guy" at that time. I was just indifferent to them. I had a shotgun my father gave me in the closet, and a box of shells next to it. It was an old Mossberg 500. I'd never shot it, or even loaded it.

Two girls lived next door to me. They were barely out of their teens, and had pretty wild parties nearly every weekend. The guests, over time, grew rowdier, and more and more often, they were the "urban", gangster types. More and more often, I found someplace to be on the weekends. This weekend, though, I had my daughter over. They were being loud, and I'd gone over twice to ask the girls to ask their guests to try and keep it down. The last time I'd asked, I had to call the police to break the party up. This time, the girls basically slammed the door in my face. I could hear them making fun of me, and calling me a bunch of filthy names. One of the guys asked them if they wanted him to come over and "teach me a lesson". I called my dad up, and asked him how to load the shotgun. When I was done with that, I laid it next to the bed, and laid down. This was around 10PM. Around 3AM, I got woken up by gunshots, and screaming. I immediately thought that the guy who I heard earlier was in my room shooting at me, but no one was there. I still heard screaming, now that I was wide awake, so I realized that I probably heard the shots, too. I checked on my kid, then I pushed her crib into the closet, pushed a file cabinet in front of it then went to check to see what ws going on. There was broken glass by my front door, and then I saw a bullet hole in my hallway. A girl was still screaming, and I could hear more panicking voices, too, then people running down the stairs, and someone screaming to call an ambulance. I peeked through my door, directly into the girls' apartment, and one of the girls was laying on the ground, covered in blood, and some guy was holding her in his lap. Some kid started banging on my door, asking for help. I yelled at him to get away from my door, or I was going to shoot through it. I called the police.

The cops showed up about 10 minutes later, and took everyone's statements, everyone who was still there. I spoke to them through my door, after explaining that my daughter was still sleeping. How she managed to stay asleep, I'll never know. The next day, I found out the girl died a few hours after getting to the hospital, and the guy that threatened me was the one who shot her, after getting into an argument with her over drugs. She was leaving her own apartment to go buy more beer, and he shot her in the back.

The guy was a local dealer, and gangster, and was wanted by the police already. I thought to myself, if they've been looking for this guy for over a year, and couldn't find him, I wasn't going trust them to do it anytime in the near future. I took my daughter back to her mother's house, and went and bought a handgun, and applied for a license to carry it. I knew how to use a 1911, because of my father, so that's what I bought. I lived in a quiet neighborhood, and a drug related murder happend less than 20 feet from where I was sleeping...where my baby was sleeping.

I called my landlord the following Monday, and told him I was moving out, ASAP. He was upset, as we were on good terms, and I was an excellent tenant, but he understood. He was looking to sell the house, anyway, and now this incident lit a fire under his ass, so to speak.

I didn't feel any sense of responsibility when I walked out of the store with my gun, anymore than I did previously. It was just something I hadn't thought about, and one incident brought the thought to the fore. As far as carrying a gun, I didn't give it that much thought, either. I started just sticking in in my pants behind my back, like my father did, until a friend of mine suggested a holster. I wasn't really interested in "gun gear" until recently. Even open carrying wasn't much of a big deal. No one said I couldn't do it, so I did it. It did become a thing, until it did.
    great story ! and i applaud u on protecting ur little girl .. u did all the right things a good dad should !
    " Innovations are what i leave behind for history "

Once a family - your family is in the picture - things change!
    ~ Sigsi Paige

When the Oklahoma city bombing happened ......it just triggerd me for some reason.I sold that pistol several years ago in a small gun safe purge.I was a ......let's see how do i say this 'scofflaw' for awhile.I was in a national guard unit at the time of the bombing ,baby on the way been married a sort time purchased a home recently so i didn't want to be a defenceless target while in uniform so on the way home and to duty while i had my greens on i carried.Not to long after that i applied for my permit and i have been carrying ever since.I will also add that i did not realize this was the open carry sub-forum and no i did not run around in uniform with a gun on, it was concealed.
    The easy way is always mined.

VIP Member
    I made the decision to get my CHL the day my bicycling companion and best friend was found dead in a ditch two miles from my house under circumstances which were acceptable to everyone except me.

Not my first gun, but got my GWL and first real carry weapon (G19) in Nov 2008 (lots of new carriers right around that time i suspect). Been carrying every day since.
    I am a hard-working self-employed conservative Christian white male gun owner. How else can I tick you off today?

My first was a smith and wesson sigma series 9 mm back in 04, gave it to my dad since he travels alot
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links