Do You Remember the 1st Time?

This is a discussion on Do You Remember the 1st Time? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you remember the first time that you decided to carry? Do you remember that first purchase and that first time you walked out the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Do You Remember the 1st Time?

Do you remember the first time that you decided to carry?
    Do you remember that first purchase and that first time you walked out the front door - and the responsibility you felt?

What helped you with your decision?
    What were your thoughts?

Tell us about it!
    ~ Sigsi Paige

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I had bought my first handgun in 06 I think it was. It was really a spur of the moment thing. I had extra birthday cash, I went into the sporting goods store looking for a new set of shoes. I happened to see the gun section and walked around over there. The I just decided to buy one. The guy at the gun store suggested I get a LCTF. I kind of brushed it off until one early morning while I was delivering newspapers a shady character appeared from the shadows asking for change. I quickly said no and got back in my car and out of there in a hurry. That morning I was at the court house filling out my LCTF app. The rest as they say is history.

Thanks for the post!

Do you still have your first handgun?
    ~ Sigsi Paige

tts
    I remember my first purchase -- it certainly changed how I think about and train with firearms. Wanting to learn as much as possible about firearms safety, tactics, and responsible ownership, I purchased many books / training programs on the subject.

Carrying a firearms meant that I'd be held to a higher moral standard than most citizens and it was a responsibility to take seriously. I spent the next few years of my life learning about my weapon and studying the works of others (written, spoken, in-person training, etc.). To this day, I still continue to learn and expand upon my knowledge.

My first new handgun was a Smith and Wesson Model 39 9mm. Gave it to my daughter several years ago so she could take a concealed class with her own gun. First concealed carry was my full size Colt 1911. My son got it for Christmas this year. Also bought him the same class. First open carry was a Ruger P89 I had for about 6 months. Eventually traded and purchased its way to a Ruger LC9 for cc. Currently looking for a replacement 1911!

Oh, yes I do! It was May of 1970 and I had just graduated from the State Police Academy, I guess it's a little obvious if your in full uniform!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I remember the day I decided to begin carrying, Aug 25 1992! The day after Hurricane Andrew swept through S. Florida as one of only 5 Category 5's to hit them mainland since record keeping began. We were in Broward Cty, about 60 miles north of homestead where the eye crossed and devasted everything. We had no electricity, water, or even street signal light for 5 days. Crime within a month shot up 400%. I already had a .22 Buckmark, which was pressed into action, but within a week I picked up a S&W 686 .357 with a two inch barrel. Comforting certainly not comfortable! Swapped out the chunky wood grips for some synthetic Hogue. Most I remember is thinking how heavy that sucker was too carry, lot of time in the briefcase and glove box. Emotionally, I felt more calm, more in control and prepared. Still have the Smitty, and occasionally it gets into the rotation in backwoods OC, saddlebag BUG, glove box. Just no IWB action! No way!
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

VIP Member
    June 1975 no decision involved, had scanner duties that day. Went to Command Post picked up Model 10 S&W 2” and three rounds of beanbags and three rounds of hollow point ammo and headed out to airplane.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Carried for the first time March on 2011 since Iowa passed the new law. Had my G22 since 2001. Then bought a G33 right after I got my permit.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

I just bought my first handgun last month, an LC9. I sent in my CCW application last week.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    I just bought my first handgun last month, an LC9. I sent in my CCW application last week.
    Congratulations!
    ~ Sigsi Paige

It was in 1965. I was a young Navy guy stationed in northern Maine. I spent a lot of my free time hiking and climbing in the pretty country side around the base. When I found that open carry was perfectly legal, I went to town and bought a revolver and holster. I don't remember what brand or caliber it was. I do remember it had a long barrel. I walked out of the shop with it hanging on my hip and walked down the street to a small restaurant where I ate lunch. I window shopped around the small town for a few hours and I remember no one even giving me a second look. The only responsibility I felt was to be safe like my dad taught me.
    thieltech likes this.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

I was 15 the Summer of 1979, I bought a Uberti "Remington New Model Army" .44 cal cap-n-ball revolver and have been shooting handguns ever since.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Around 1997, I think. Did not carry with any regularity until last February. Now I always carry.

Carried for the first time this friday. Dec. 23rd. Got cc permit the 22nd. Glock 30. Wont leave hone without it now.

Sent from my Motorola Photon with Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links