Brandished a weapon

This is a discussion on Brandished a weapon within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A local guy was charged for brandishing a weapon when he pulled out a gun, for which he had a permit, to show those with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Brandished a weapon

Brandished a weapon

A local guy was charged for brandishing a weapon when he pulled out a gun, for which he had a permit, to show those with baseball bats threating him that he could respond. How is that possible? I know it depends on the locality, but that seems crazy.

Update: Instead of baseball bats like I remembered, it turned out to be rocks. He had a child in the car, but he was also being a real jerk and driving 75 on a street with children.

2. Remove Ads

If he was being approached and threatened with baseball bats by multiple (even just one) assailanfs, the cop that arrested/charged him with brandishing is a moron.

Link to story? Not enough information to make a judgment...
    Spade115 likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    If he was being approached and threatened with baseball bats by multiple (even just one) assailanfs, the cop that arrested/charged him with brandishing is a moron.
    Depending on circumstances and if everything is as it appears - the LEO could charged (in civil court) with false arrest - if you got a sharp attorney.It is the policy of most law enforcement agencies that with the authority given comes responsibility to the citizens that entrusted you and that is why public servants (yes - that includes LEO's and FF's) are held to a higher standard. If not, then the citizens of the community or state must replace those in charge and install professional standards.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post

&apos;Super Dell&apos; Schanze charged with .. | The Salt Lake Tribune

He was being a jerk, driving 75 on a street with kids. I don't defend him at all for that action. What I remembered as baseball bats was actually rocks according to the story. I wasn't there, all I know is what I read. Who knows how it went down.

He was aquitted of the charge however, but didn't get off the hook for driving so fast.

'Super' Dell Schanze acquitted of brandishing gun

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sames1 View Post
    A local guy was charged for brandishing a weapon when he pulled out a gun, for which he had a permit, to show those with baseball bats threating him that he could respond. How is that possible? I know it depends on the locality, but that seems crazy.
    Hard to say what it depends on, given the inordinate absence of details.

'Super Dell' Schanze charged with .. | The Salt Lake Tribune

He was being a jerk, driving 75 on a street with kids. I don't defend him at all for that action. What I remembered as baseball bats was actually rocks according to the story. I wasn't there, all I know is what I read. Who knows how it went down.

He was aquitted of the charge however, but didn't get off the hook for driving so fast.

'Super' Dell Schanze acquitted of brandishing gun
    Regardless of how the guy was driving, the residents had no right to get in their cars, chase him, corner him and then threaten him with deadly weapons (Rocks).

I'm curious as to how he managed to stuff a 10mm Glock into his pocket though.
    Eagleks and Spade115 like this.

Speeding and being a jerk is one thing and defending yourself and family is different, gun laws are gun laws and traffic laws are traffic laws, he violated traffic laws not gun laws...I agree some people shouldn't carry or own firearms but we all have the right to self defense.
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

the problem is he didn't call the cops first so now it's their word against his and there are more of them that there is of him and one of them made the ph call. some states allow brandishing and some don't .......... texas does

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    By being a jerkwad, whippin down the street with kids on it, he brought it all upon himself.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Agreed, something seems screwy.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

While it's easy to understand the confusion as to why the heck the LEO did what he did. There are always two sides to every story and with out a story link and knowing the other side (as to if the gunman instigated the confrontation or not). I know I sound a little liberal right now (I hate that), but more information is needed.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

mkh
    The guys sounds like a real jerk.

He shouldn't have been speeding nor should he have lied to the police. But it doesn't sound like he was brandishing but rather defending (or :getting ready to defend") himself.

Update: Instead of baseball bats like I remembered, it turned out to be rocks. He had a child in the car, but he was also being a real jerk and driving 75 on a street with children.
    This probably has a lot to do with the charge.

Not everyone out there carrying a gun is necessarily an "upstanding citizen". Permit or not. Sorry to say, but there are an awful lot of goofballs and jerks walking around with CCH's.

True in so many aspects of life--act or look like a slimeball, get treated like a slimeball.

I don't know if that was the case in this instance or not, but sounds likely.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    the problem is he didn't call the cops first so now it's their word against his and there are more of them that there is of him and one of them made the ph call. some states allow brandishing and some don't .......... texas does
    The fact remains all of them chose to get in their cars, chase him down and confront him. None of which is in their pervue. They could have called the police from the get-go not played traffic vigilante. Their very presence "surrounding" the guy should be enough to corroborate his part of the story. It seems the neighborhood self-proclaimed traffic enforcers don't dispute any of that.
    Eagleks and ep1953 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links