Open carry issue that I have had in Indiana

This is a discussion on Open carry issue that I have had in Indiana within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few friends and myself frequent a local truck stop about two to three times a week. I've never had any issues until a recent ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Open carry issue that I have had in Indiana

Open carry issue that I have had in Indiana

A few friends and myself frequent a local truck stop about two to three times a week. I've never had any issues until a recent trip (Typically I carry my judge. We all know this gun is nearly impossible to not spot from a mile away). Open carrying is pretty typical here. I usually see at least I other person open carrying. Some other customers complained to her that I had a gun. I was approached by a waitress who told me that I had to put my gun in my vehicle if I wanted to stay in the establishment. There was nothing posted anywhere about not carrying, and informed her that something should be posted in the future. So we left. One of my friends knew the owner and tried to get something done, but failed. So after about three weeks we decided to go back tonight. This time I left my gun in the car, but left my holster on my side. As soon as I walked in the door the same waitress approached me, told me that I caused all kinds of problems and I had better not be carrying, and if I was I need to leave now.

The issue that I have is not being asked to leave. I know that they are with in their rights to do so. My question is can they play favorites and choose who can stay? Also shouldn't it be posted that they don't want guns carried in? I've been trying to find info on this since the incident earlier this month but haven't really been able to find much. Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. Remove Ads

If the law states that if you are asked to leave failure to do so is trespassinfg,If you have a problem with it then why are you spending money there?
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Hey Bubba,
    I have to agree with Dukalmighty. While you raise a good point about posting signs and favorites and I understand it may not "seem" right... it is easy to get caught up in a "game" of who is going to win! You want to carry... and you are able to carry! You win! They don't want guns in their place (even the owner stands by this decision) then do not take guns in the place. As a IND permit holder we have to take the high road. We cannot get into spats with people about the small stuff. Moreover, if any establishment spoke to me as you have stated I would be happy their business was doing well enough to invite paying customers to leave and NEVER go back! Long story short... don't risk anything over a p*****g match. In time you can have a good laugh looking back... knowing you are staying safe with you permit and weapon at your side.
    tkruf, TN_Mike, wmhawth and 6 others like this.
    NRA Member
    XD 9 EDC
    Ruger LC9 with Crimson Laser BUG
    Marlin 30/30

We reserve the right to refuse service BLA BLA BLA.....find another greasy spoon....and hide that stupid pistol
    CVarner likes this.

sgb
    Yup, they have the right to refuse service .......... you have the right to spend your money elsewhere.
    CommonMan101 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Private property, forget the signage, you got a verbal. Comply or find another place to eat is the easy answer.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    What truck stop has a restaurant worth disarming over? I never open carry, but as an over-the-road trucker for twelve years, Crazy D's in Plymouth, Indiana (no longer there...thanks for nothing, Pilot) had the ONLY restaurant I would ever disarm to to enter. They had the best steak for the money ever. Now there is a Subway in its place, just like the ones down the road. Take your business down the road.
    carracer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmith View Post
    We reserve the right to refuse service BLA BLA BLA.....find another greasy spoon....and hide that stupid pistol
    While I agree that the owner can pick who he wants to serve and there isn't anything wrong with that, the comment about hiding that stupid pistol is a dumb one for sure. This is the open carry part of the site. if you have something against open carry, may I suggest you stay off this part of the forum.

Bubba, I understand your feelings here but it is private property and they can pick and choose what people they serve and what behavior they allow on their property. I would print out one of the many examples of the "No guns = No Money" cards and I'd go in, unarmed and hand it to the manager. I'd also mention that you belong to several web forums and groups and will be spreading the word to all the members that they should avoid his establishment as they are obviously not welcome.

If you do not belong to them I suggest you also head over to INGunOwners - Indiana Gun Owners Community and Hoosier Gun Club - Powered by vBulletin and Indiana Shooter as well and join up and let everyone know about this. And don't be shy about naming the place and giving the address. Fellow shooters in Indiana need to know about an anti-carry business out there so they don't have the same bad experience that you did.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Open carry only entices the idiots to harass you.

Don't Ask -- Don't Tell. Don't answer questions. Smile -- Order -- Eat --- Pay --- Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by larrylandon View Post
    Open carry only entices the idiots to harass you.

Don't Ask -- Don't Tell. Don't answer questions. Smile -- Order -- Eat --- Pay --- Leave.
    Larry that is your opion. While many might agree, this is the open carry section and people have the right to carry anyway they choose.

Back on topic. I agree no guns no money. Follow TN Mike advice post the name and ask everybody to call or email or stop in with a card and politly say. Oh my 4 buddies and I were looking to eat but since you refuse people who are legal to carry and have cleared backround checks on a state and federal level we will be leaving now and walk out.

The owners will get the point soon enough.
    carracer and TN_Mike like this.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Eat somewhere else
    carracer likes this.

This time I left my gun in the car, but left my holster on my side. As soon as I walked in the door the same waitress approached me, told me that I caused all kinds of problems and I had better not be carrying, and if I was I need to leave now.
    This almost sounds as if they don't like you for some reason, with or without your gun. At any rate, I never saw anything about a truck stop or truck stop food that would warrant any effort on my part to change them. Is it possible they aren't worth your time?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Larry that is your opion. While many might agree, this is the open carry section and people have the right to carry anyway they choose.
    Except in places which expressly forbid it.

Why, yes, I'll leave, can you point me in the direction of a "good" resturant?
    carracer, TN_Mike and Gun Bunny like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I'm also of the find another place crowd. Also I wouldn't bring up the "Sign" issue as once it is posted it also applies to the CC crowd. I feel we all bear responibility as gun owners and I don't want to jeapardize the other guy regardless of how they carry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links