What do you think OC'ers?

This is a discussion on What do you think OC'ers? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Back in the day, a ways back in the day, western days to start with. People (some/many good/bad) used to carry their guns on their ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: What do you think OC'ers?

Administrator
    "Back in the day, a ways back in the day, western days to start with. People (some/many good/bad) used to carry their guns on their hips/OC and it was just part of their everyday life."

Actually when towns started springing up in "The Old West" it was considered to be more civilized and proper to carry the personal self-protection firearm hidden from public view.
    Many Western towns ultimately did not permit the open display of firearms but, it was assumed that nearly all men were carrying a protection firearm concealed.

Just a bit of historical fact.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OhioCatter View Post
    I've read a lot of threads on OC'ing and see you almost get the same debates every time. I know some are for it and for others it's just not for them. I respect everyone's views/opinions on this so this is not meant to start a heated debate. My question is for how you think(OC'ers/CC'ers) the public looks at OC'ers and the acceptance of it.

Back in the day, a ways back in the day, western days to start with. People (some/many good/bad) used to carry their guns on their hips/OC and it was just part of their everyday life. In history you have your outlaws (yahoos) that were shoot em all up but you just didn't hear about your average joe's running around and shooting each other or innocent people for no reason. Do you think this plays a part of how society looks at guns and people who carry them either concealed or openly? I would like to focus a little (all comments welcome either way) more on the OC part of this question.

I'm sure there are many more who CC than OC and thats fine ( I respect what people feel is best for them). In my opinion, and my opinion only, I think that if society is re-introduced to OC/(CC) by law biding citizens who present themselves professionally, no yahoo stuff, that OC'ing could be seen as just a part of everyday life. With what seems to be more people trying to or actually OC'ing do you think that we will ever reach this point? Being able to OC with out all the stereo-types, bad guy, tough guy with a gun, he's gonna shoot us all up, here comes trouble, wanna be cop, and so on.
    I thinks it more a function of where you live and the culture of your area than anything else. I live in rural AZ and OC infrequently, CC mostly. I frequently see others OC'ing and quite frankly, I don't think anyone ever notices, and if they do, it's likely that they are gun folk too and are checking out the hardware.

YMMV

I'm no cowboy or a butt headed kid but I am someone who open carries every day. I don't do it to do harm or intimidate, I do it to send a very clear message. I operate a business where I sometimes have large sums of cash in the shop and lots of foot traffic. I feel as though my firearm being on my side in plan sight, as well as several of my employees who open carry is the best deterrent I can get against an armed robbery or a break in. If I was a bad guy looking to hold up someplace and I walked in and saw 5 or 6 people with sidearms, I would go on down the road to the place with a Gun Buster sign.
    TN_Mike and CommonMan101 like this.

Given that most of us on this Forum are enthusiasts, asking us what we think the public thinks about OC is interesting to say the least. Nonetheless, for a more representative set of answers have you considered asking this on a non-gun related forum? If you do, I would truly be interested in the responses. I really have no clue what John Q Public thinks, or if they even think, or merely react with emotion?

I CC 99.9% of the time. I do not think that OC is wrong. I do however object to someone doing it to get a rise or cause a disturbance. Virginia is an OC state w/out a permit. However, the one place where you would think you should be able to OC and rarely even have anyone object or raise a fuss, would be in the woods, while hiking, however National Forests are a no no for OC in VA, only CC with a permit is allowed. Do they think we might frighten the wild life, by OC'ing?

I'm all for both CC and OC. Each one I suppose has it's place. I do wish that our society was not so gun shy, and more criminal shy. I feel like if our government were to quite putting in so much effort into making it harder on the law abiding citizen, and spent more time making it harder for criminals, things would be different. They fail to see that our laws already make it a crime for criminals (those who have a record) to own/possess a firearm. That doesn't stop them from doing it, and making all these laws that limit the ability of law abiding citizens to buy, own, and carry firearms, does nothing to stop the criminals, nor does it permit us to protect ourselves.

It's already been proven that no gun zones (cities, states, etc.) have a higher rate of crime. Why? Because the BG's don't care about laws, have their guns, and will use them to commit crimes. They know that the poor helpless law abiding citizens are defenseless because our government has made it hard for those people to purchase, own, and carry firearms for protection.

I would bet, that if they did away with "all" anti-2A laws so there were "no" gun laws, other than one... "Against the law to use a firearm during the commission of a crime" or two...."possession of a firearm by a convicted felon", other than that.. no gun laws. No background checks to purchase, no handgun permits. OC or CC in any state without harassment from law enforcement. Let ....oh... how many law abiding people are there in this country? .. start CC/OC without question, without permits, without laws saying you can't carry here or there. No such things as Gun Free Zones.... WE WILL SEE HOW FAST CRIME RATES FALL.

Condition the to just get used to seeing law abiding citizens OCing. When they call in MWAG, the response should be, "and....?" until they get it that it's not illegal. They will eventually come to realize and will pay it no mind.

The BG's will be the ones not knowing if their next victim to be will be the one the puts them in the ground.
    OhioCatter likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "Back in the day, a ways back in the day, western days to start with. People (some/many good/bad) used to carry their guns on their hips/OC and it was just part of their everyday life."

Actually when towns started springing up in "The Old West" it was considered to be more civilized and proper to carry the personal self-protection firearm hidden from public view.
    Many Western towns ultimately did not permit the open display of firearms but, it was assumed that nearly all men were carrying a protection firearm concealed.

Just a bit of historical fact.

State v LR Speller; NC. I guess we do things different in the "Wild East." It's kind of funny how this is viewed; different times, different areas, different opinions of carrying firearms. We have several NCSC cases in NC that show CC in a very negative light. That said, I sure do prefer having both options.

"As to the surest inhibition that could be put upon this practice deemed so hurtful as to be the subject of express mention in the organic law of the state, the legislature has seen fit to enact that at no time, and under no circumstances, except when upon his own premises, shall any person carry a deadly weapon concealed about his person, and it is the strict duty of the courts, whenever an occasion offers, to uphold a law thus sanctioned and approved. But without any constitutional provision whatever on the subject, can it be doubted that the legislature might by law regulate this right to bear arms--as they do all other rights whether inherent or otherwise--and require it to be exercised in a manner conducive to the peace and safety of the public? This is as far as this statute assumes to go. It does not say that a citizen when beset with danger shall not provide for his security by wearing such arms as may be essential to that end; but simply that if he does do so, he must wear them openly, and so as to be seen by those with whom he may come in contact. The right to wear secret weapons is no more essential to the protection of one man than another, and surely it cannot be supposed that the law intends that an unwary advantage should be taken even of an enemy. Hence it takes no note whether the secret carrying be done in a spirit of foolish recklessness, or from a sense of apprehended danger, but in either case declares it to be unlawful."

STATE v. L. R. SPELLER.
    carracer likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I believe in "the old west" and around the turn of the previous century concealed carry was considered underhanded and ungentlemanly

Seems to me that the more you open carry the more people get used to it and it becomes no big deal. The problem in Ca. was the result of a few high level politicians and LEO that had a "you will obey me" attitude. Didn't matter that it wasn't causing panic in the streets. Didn't matter that many large corporations allowed it in their facilities against the pressure of the Brady bunch. The Brady's knew who they could count on and that was the legislature.

The majority of the problems that arise from open carry are the result of over aggressive and "you will obey me" leo. There are a few panic people but they are in the minority just as are the "look at me" in your face oc people. Probably 99% of the time oc is without issue and gets better with each responsible legal open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioCatter View Post
    From reading suntzu's post these are the type of people (kid with AR) who have no right carrying a gun or even be allowed to own a gun. They give a big negative to the rest of society about guns in general and that carries over to thoes who choose to OC/CC or own guns period. People have to be educated about guns, guns are not a evil thing, it is thoes who are evil that come into possesion of them. I hope for the sake of all of us and thoes who choose to OC that someday it will be seen differently and OC'ers will not catch as much flack as they do. I have always stated that I will more than likely CC at all times but on the same hand I would also like to try OC'ing a few times just to see both sides of the fence. Where I live I can see my OC encounters now Hello- 911 - we have a guy with a gun at XXXXXXXX send someone right away. LEO shows up, guns pulled, and I end up face down. This is by no means my intention to have to happen to myself. I feel we all (OC'ers and CC'ers) need to work together (regaurdless on how we choose to carry) to get peoples perspectives changed about guns in general and for thoes who choose to carry whether OC or CC.
    Really? No RIGHT? And just who determines his rights to possess and bear arms? You may not like his reason, or attitude (I don't either), but as long as he is lawfully carrying and has the right to freedom of expression, neither you nor I can infringe on it. What we can do is to educate him on what his demeanor does for those who are constantly fighting against the anti-gun people. I believe the middle part of your post promoted this; however, the last sentence doesn't square with the first.

I OC most of the time. Other times I carry one OC, and another is CC. Some I know OC-only as a personal protest against the requirement to obtain permission to CC. Others CC to maintain the "Ah-HA!" factor.

OCing has afforded me opportunities to educate the non-carrying public, and occasionally some of my gun-toting brethren. I hope I provide a positive example of a responsible, armed citizen.

I think it opens you up or exposes you to some things that could be avoided by the more discretion of CC, and I think alot of people who OC either have not given thought to some of these things, or simply choose to ignore them.

I do understand the need to OC where CC is not permited.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Its funny the way some folks react to the choices that others make. The reactions many have to open carry is much the same reaction many have to riding a motorcycle without a helmet. For them not choosing to open carry or go without a helmet is not good enough. They will not be happy until others are forced to do the same.

Michael
    TN_Mike, carracer and BurgerBoy like this.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Given that most of us on this Forum are enthusiasts, asking us what we think the public thinks about OC is interesting to say the least. Nonetheless, for a more representative set of answers have you considered asking this on a non-gun related forum? If you do, I would truly be interested in the responses. I really have no clue what John Q Public thinks, or if they even think, or merely react with emotion?
    That is a good idea, I go to a few fishing sites so i'll try to make a post there somewhere in one of the forums and see what type of replies I get. It's still an outdoors forum but maybe not everyone there is for CC or OC or even guns in general. I'll try to do it tonight or in the am.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I posted a question on another site that is probably 80% fishing talk 15% misc talk and 5% gun talk. I'm curiuse to see what types of replies I get, and i'll have to try to find another forum somewhere where there is little to no gun talk at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    It's all a matter of exposure. If you live in an area where people OC, people generally are used to it and not alarmed. I live in a suburb of Phoenix and OC is neither rare nor common; I see people carrying openly on occasion, and have yet to see anyone frightened by it. I lived in a suburb of Hartford, CT for years and enough people would be absolutely freaked out if they saw someone not in uniform carrying a sidearm into the Safeway or Pizza Hut.

It's the same in many other areas of life. If you're the first guy with a sailboat or a canoe where everyone else runs a powerboat, you attract a lot of attention. If you wear a bowtie when everyone else is wearing regular neckties, it catches people's eyes. It's just human nature.
    It's much the same story in Tucson. People here either don't notice a person OC or don't even care about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Why would OC be viewed negatively in the public's eye?

1) Movies/TV.
    2) Media Sensationalism.
    3) Politics and State Law.
    4) The Education System.
    5) The Police. The public thinks they can rely on the police to protect them. They don't understand that it is the police who respond to crime, and (in most cases) do not prevent it, at all.
    6) The Concealed Carry crowd. Yep, even our own are against open carry in many ways. Whether it's not as "tactical" or they downright disagree with it - because of the public's reaction. Possibly, it's appeasement, but I'm not entirely sure.
    Well put and I agree.

In West Tennessee OC is pretty common. I never had a bad experience. Saw many others doing it and none of us ever freaked anyone out. Mainly because the folks who live there know people carry, both openly and concealed, and it is a part of live. Nothing to get excited about.

I understand there are parts of the country like that and other parts where everyone has been brainwashed into believing that anyone with a gun is a criminal. So maybe it does boil down to a regional thing. Maybe there are just regions of America that are more easily fooled into believing stupid things than others.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Another interesting FYI for our newer members is that DefensiveCarry.com (before that named CombatCarry.com) - Years Ago - was originally set up as an Internet site dedicated to legal Concealed Carry only.

Sooooo....most of our long time original members are/were Concealed Carry people always participating in what was their Concealed Carry forum from the onset.

Back then when members joined DefensiveCarry.com and wanted to discuss Open carry we would send them over to OpenCarry.org which was a comparatively dead site w/ regard to site traffic and activity.

After much debate (on high) a decision was made (much later on) to allow (on a trial basis) an Open Carry discussion category or sub-forum on DefensiveCarry.

Initially that did not work out very well and things constantly became very heated.

That is partly why some of our member base is very strongly opinionated regarding the topic of Open Carry.

I'm not saying that is good or bad but, only making a statement of fact as to why there are some very strong oppositional opinions to Open Carry to be found here.

Because Cats were allowed to compete in what was originally and exclusively a Dog Show. <~~~~

But, see how much we "all have grown" these days and notice how civil and respectful our Open Carry/Concealed Carry discussions are now-a-days.
    gasmitty likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links