What do you think OC'ers?

This is a discussion on What do you think OC'ers? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read a lot of threads on OC'ing and see you almost get the same debates every time. I know some are for it and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: What do you think OC'ers?

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar

What do you think OC'ers?

I've read a lot of threads on OC'ing and see you almost get the same debates every time. I know some are for it and for others it's just not for them. I respect everyone's views/opinions on this so this is not meant to start a heated debate. My question is for how you think(OC'ers/CC'ers) the public looks at OC'ers and the acceptance of it.

Back in the day, a ways back in the day, western days to start with. People (some/many good/bad) used to carry their guns on their hips/OC and it was just part of their everyday life. In history you have your outlaws (yahoos) that were shoot em all up but you just didn't hear about your average joe's running around and shooting each other or innocent people for no reason. Do you think this plays a part of how society looks at guns and people who carry them either concealed or openly? I would like to focus a little (all comments welcome either way) more on the OC part of this question.

I'm sure there are many more who CC than OC and thats fine ( I respect what people feel is best for them). In my opinion, and my opinion only, I think that if society is re-introduced to OC/(CC) by law biding citizens who present themselves professionally, no yahoo stuff, that OC'ing could be seen as just a part of everyday life. With what seems to be more people trying to or actually OC'ing do you think that we will ever reach this point? Being able to OC with out all the stereo-types, bad guy, tough guy with a gun, he's gonna shoot us all up, here comes trouble, wanna be cop, and so on.

2. Remove Ads

I think if you OC because you have to (transport of firearm) or just because you want to is fine. I do not like when folks OC to just prove a point that it is their 2nd A right. What is mean is an incident I saw in NH over the fall. In a National Park loaded with leaf peepers (tourist) a college age kid had an AR not on a sling with a magazine it. A couple stopped him and asked why he was doing that in public. Now, this couple was anti 2A and trying to start something. But this kid was hoping for this confrontation. He said I came here to show everybody I can do what I want or something to that effect. Point is, he was being a jerk and was trying to get a rise out of people.

Personally, I feel that all anti-gun individuals hate all guns, they just see the OC ones and don't see the CC ones. So they react when they see any gun! Therefore the OC crowd catches most of the flack!
    tkruf and TN_Mike like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

What does a dog think?
    Dadsnugun and Chief1297 like this.

I just returned from eating at a very popular local restaurant in Marietta, GA; so popular that it was the feature subject on the Food Network just weeks earlier. LOTS of families, especially multi-generational extended clans eating brunch. Same thing I was doing with my family. It's not my usual haunt but I drop in when I'm in town because the food is excellent and the service is impeccable. I'm positive that there was 75-100 people actively sitting /eating and others coming/going constantly.

Did anything happen after I was seated at my table in the middle of the dining area? No. When a person who is armed doesn't behave as if they're consciously aware of the gun on their side other people pick up on it and go with the flow, if they notice at all. There wasn't any stares, hushed comments, concerned staff, worried glances, or visits by local LEO. I am just a man having a meal with his wife and child that happened to have a 1911 and two spare mags along for the ride. What does that all mean? I opine that people in certain parts of the country average people don't have a conniption at the sight of a man openly carrying a sidearm if otherwise his actions or demeanor gives no cause for concern. Further, those people amongst the local population that aren't accustomed to encountering the armed citizen are reassured by the lack of excitement from the natives when such a man is in proximity. That is my experience.

Once again, it largely depends on where one lives. In some areas of the country, no amount of positive exposure to the openly armed citizen will be able to lift the years of conditioning to fear firearms away from the public conscious. Sadly, the machine is far too well run and maintained.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

The days when a person was free do to most anything he wanted so long as it did not directly harm others is long gone. Now you must be able to prove that your need to do something outweighs the fear others might have when they watch you do it. That your right to do something does not infringe on others rights not to see you doing it.
    Your right to eat butter must not interfere with another persons right to prevent heart disease in all human beings.

Michael
    mr.stuart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioCatter View Post
    I've read a lot of threads on OC'ing and see you almost get the same debates every time. I know some are for it and for others it's just not for them. I respect everyone's views/opinions on this so this is not meant to start a heated debate. My question is for how you think(OC'ers/CC'ers) the public looks at OC'ers and the acceptance of it.

Back in the day, a ways back in the day, western days to start with. People (some/many good/bad) used to carry their guns on their hips/OC and it was just part of their everyday life. In history you have your outlaws (yahoos) that were shoot em all up but you just didn't hear about your average joe's running around and shooting each other or innocent people for no reason. Do you think this plays a part of how society looks at guns and people who carry them either concealed or openly? I would like to focus a little (all comments welcome either way) more on the OC part of this question.

I'm sure there are many more who CC than OC and thats fine ( I respect what people feel is best for them). In my opinion, and my opinion only, I think that if society is re-introduced to OC/(CC) by law biding citizens who present themselves professionally, no yahoo stuff, that OC'ing could be seen as just a part of everyday life. With what seems to be more people trying to or actually OC'ing do you think that we will ever reach this point? Being able to OC with out all the stereo-types, bad guy, tough guy with a gun, he's gonna shoot us all up, here comes trouble, wanna be cop, and so on.
    I have been one of those that has said, if you can cover it then do so. I am not against OC, it really is a regional thing as far as acceptance. The bold portion of your statement would be great if it is doable. I do not think that we will ever be able to get society as a whole, to accept OC. I live in an OC state and even here, in some citys you will get busted down. Once again Im not saying its wrong. Its just a fight that I do not believe anyone can win at least on a national level....

From reading suntzu's post these are the type of people (kid with AR) who have no right carrying a gun or even be allowed to own a gun. They give a big negative to the rest of society about guns in general and that carries over to thoes who choose to OC/CC or own guns period. People have to be educated about guns, guns are not a evil thing, it is thoes who are evil that come into possesion of them. I hope for the sake of all of us and thoes who choose to OC that someday it will be seen differently and OC'ers will not catch as much flack as they do. I have always stated that I will more than likely CC at all times but on the same hand I would also like to try OC'ing a few times just to see both sides of the fence. Where I live I can see my OC encounters now Hello- 911 - we have a guy with a gun at XXXXXXXX send someone right away. LEO shows up, guns pulled, and I end up face down. This is by no means my intention to have to happen to myself. I feel we all (OC'ers and CC'ers) need to work together (regaurdless on how we choose to carry) to get peoples perspectives changed about guns in general and for thoes who choose to carry whether OC or CC.

Thank you for yor post Harryball, it's nice to see people like yourself posting here that see it both ways (OC/CC) and have no problem with thoes who choose to OC. You support the way you carry but yet at the same time you support thoes who choose to OC as well. This is the begining to change, even on a small note, and i'm sure OC'ers appreciate that you see it both ways. You may also be correct that we will not see OC'ing accepted on a national level but every little step forward is a success for all of us and OC'ers.

sgb
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson.

Florida had licensed Open Carry up to 1987 when we became the first shall issue State. Since then we've had only limited open carry, something we're working to remedy. The left's war against the 2nd amendment is unwavering and will never cease, we must constantly strive to expand ALL avenues of our gun rights. The best defense is a strong offense.
    Bullet1234 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Why would OC be viewed negatively in the public's eye?

1) Movies/TV.
    2) Media Sensationalism.
    3) Politics and State Law.
    4) The Education System.
    5) The Police. The public thinks they can rely on the police to protect them. They don't understand that it is the police who respond to crime, and (in most cases) do not prevent it, at all.
    6) The Concealed Carry crowd. Yep, even our own are against open carry in many ways. Whether it's not as "tactical" or they downright disagree with it - because of the public's reaction. Possibly, it's appeasement, but I'm not entirely sure.

Combine the above three with ridiculously manipulated statistics against firearms, in general, and you get...

A public distaste of firearms, an absolute misunderstanding of the Second Amendment, and the belief that only certain people in power should have access to a gun. "Out of sight, out of mind" is not a valid argument against open carry, while allowing concealed carry.

...IMHO, of course.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    My only concern with OC is only that it could cause stores and restaurants that currently allow it to come under pressure by the anti-gun crowd to ban them altogether. Every now and then I see an OC at Walmart or when I am out to eat with the family. In a country where the majority is often ruled by the minority I believe that little whinning would be required from the anti-gun types before we law abiding types would be leaving our weapons in the car while we eat and shop.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    My only concern with OC is only that it could cause stores and restaurants that currently allow it to come under pressure by the anti-gun crowd to ban them altogether. Every now and then I see an OC at Walmart or when I am out to eat with the family. In a country where the majority is often ruled by the minority I believe that little whinning would be required from the anti-gun types before we law abiding types would be leaving our weapons in the car while we eat and shop.
    It hasn't happened here and we've ALWAYS had open carry. In fact, signs still don't carry weight in GA.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The days when a person was free do to most anything he wanted so long as it did not directly harm others is long gone. Now you must be able to prove that your need to do something outweighs the fear others might have when they watch you do it. That your right to do something does not infringe on others rights not to see you doing it.
    Your right to eat butter must not interfere with another persons right to prevent heart disease in all human beings.

Michael
    Explain that to the ACLU.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It's all a matter of exposure. If you live in an area where people OC, people generally are used to it and not alarmed. I live in a suburb of Phoenix and OC is neither rare nor common; I see people carrying openly on occasion, and have yet to see anyone frightened by it. I lived in a suburb of Hartford, CT for years and enough people would be absolutely freaked out if they saw someone not in uniform carrying a sidearm into the Safeway or Pizza Hut.

It's the same in many other areas of life. If you're the first guy with a sailboat or a canoe where everyone else runs a powerboat, you attract a lot of attention. If you wear a bowtie when everyone else is wearing regular neckties, it catches people's eyes. It's just human nature.
    rgbiker and JerryMac like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links