What is your favorite way to OC?

This is a discussion on What is your favorite way to OC? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I OC my SA XD40 in a blackhawk at about 3:30. I don't even feel it there most times even getting in and out of ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What is your favorite way to OC?

I OC my SA XD40 in a blackhawk at about 3:30. I don't even feel it there most times even getting in and out of my truck and buckling seat belts

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Just my opinion but I don't see the thigh rigs being at all practical for civilian carry.
    I've considered one for hiking, since I carry a pack. But then I'm in shorts and it probably will not work. The SERPA stands out far enough to work the waist belt behind it, so that's what I have been doing. I could not see myself wearing on to the store though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I don't open carry very often, but when I do, it is with a 700 Remington XCR in a .308 with a Leupold Mark II 6-18.
    I'm about the same... either a Beretta Silver Pigeon carried at port arms, or a CMMG AR slung on a VTAC.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I only OC when I am trout fishing and hiking on NC gamelands. I carry a full sized 1911 at 3:00 in a leather pancake holster. Shirt tail out but tucked behind the pistol.

When fishing and hiking, I also use a lanyard. Due to the treacherous terrain, crawling up and over boulders, climbing up and sliding down steep ridges, waterfalls, etc. I want the extra security in case my pistol becomes unholstered.

Once I am headed back to civilization, I simply cover my pistol with my shirt tail and remove the lanyard and go back to CC.
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    When I do get to OC- typically gun shows (and, of course, always unloaded ) I use my cheap and easy Black Hawk OWB holster @ 3 o'clock with extra mag pouch on the front. Or, I just strap on my shoulder rig and call it a day. One of my coats will cover the Black Hawk holster, and I can throw a shirt or vest over my shoulder rig and pretend nothing happened.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Not a thigh rig. I think civilians who carry in thigh rigs just make it obvious they are carrying to try to be a bad*** and look like fools. Just my opinion but I don't see the thigh rigs being at all practical for civilian carry.
    Lets be honest though. Isn't PART (not all) of the reason why we OC is for the intimidation factor? And you have to admit they are very practical. Better weight distribution and never get in the way of sitting or driving. Just my opinion.
    Family first, that's why I carry.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    It's funny I don't see it as part of an intimidation factor. I would OC as discretely as possible and go on my way like I didn't even have it on. If someone is intimidated by me OC'ing, that just means that they have not been educated yet.

I only OC in the woods and where it is legal. For hiking it's usually an old High Standard. 22. In bear country or hiking in the Olympics with recent cougar sightings I'll carry something larger like a .357 or a .30-.30.

When I do OC there's a good chance I'll have a pocket pistol concealed as a backup.

Aaron

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I am currently carrying a LC9 in a Desantis holster. I love this set up. It is light, compact and comfortable. I am wearing OWB with a shirt or jacket as cover. I do not expose my carry weapon. I suppose in the warm season this will be my carry as well. IWB is uncomfortable to me and was a factor in me making the decision to move this direction. Plus, I can still carry IWB if I want.
    NRA Member
    XD 9 EDC
    Ruger LC9 with Crimson Laser BUG
    Marlin 30/30

I OC a S&W M&P .40 cal in a black hawk serpa paddle
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Senior Moderator
    The few times I've OCed it's always been in a quality leather belt holster around the 3:00 - 4:00 position.

As a matter of fact, I think this is the last time I went out while legally required to carry openly by Virginia state law as we were going out to eat at a place that served alcohol. Virginia has since changed that law but it's pretty much how I carry openly if I have to.

I only open carry in back country, mountains or the desert. Here are a couple of rigs I use openly for field carry.
    Attached Images

Kahr MK9 in a Silent Thunder STX around 9:00 (lefty) and a PM9 in a Galco ankle holster.

I've got a bunch of them that I rotate through. If I had to site a common factor amongst them, its that all the holsters are carried on the belt at 3 o'clock and none have snaps or other retention devices. 1911s, striker fired guns, and revolvers all make the cut. Lately I've been packing an alloy Para 1911 commander in a PTG kydex open top holster with two spare mags in a double mag carrier weak side largely because its an ideal compromise between weight and available firepower. However, if I had to say which sidearm gets the most recess outside the safe, hands down it would have to be those from the Glock family.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Around town, I rotate between a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro and a Hayes. I do own a leg rig for when I am out in the yard or in the woods/on a horse.

As to the intimidation factor, my goal is to not draw attention to my OC but primarily for comfort. I oOC mostly in the summer whe I am in shorts and T-shirts.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links