Chief Deputy Brad Stanley of the Forsyth County, NC Sheriff's Office says....

This is a discussion on Chief Deputy Brad Stanley of the Forsyth County, NC Sheriff's Office says.... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This from the Chief of police in Milwaukee WI flynn.jpg...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Chief Deputy Brad Stanley of the Forsyth County, NC Sheriff's Office says....

This from the Chief of police in Milwaukee WI

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
    Stanley pointed out that the state does have a law against "going armed to the terror of the people." What that means is you can be charged with a violation if your carrying of a weapon scares the daylights out of folks.
    THAT is the problem. This silly statute allows someone to feel quaky about others carrying firearms, and LE is thus fully authorized to take down upstanding citizens because of it. Totally unjustified, of course. The only way to change it is to stiffen the statutes to specifically proclaim brandishing/menacing as deliberate, intentional waving around a firearm at others in a threatening manner, and to specifically disallow mere carrying in any fashion as grounds for stopping or arrest. Until the gross non-definition of the GATTTOTP statute is erased from the books, harassment of this sort will remain the prerogative of the next anti-gunner who gets hired.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 11th, 2012 at 08:58 AM.
    OldVet likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ccw9mm, you have to remember that many of the laws in NC are "Jim Crow" based and will not be changed until forced to do so by a higher power than the typical legislature.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    The Deputy needs to hit the books in NC to find out what constitutes a violation of the GATTTOTP law. A holstered firearm does not constitute an arrestable offense under that statute. There is case law on this and he should know better.
    You have missed the point . They know the law they have chosen like so many other to ignore it and enforce they own rules. Happens here often.
    Milwaukee COP will we take you down arrest you and make you fight to get your gun back.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    You have missed the point . They know the law they have chosen like so many other to ignore it and enforce they own rules. Happens here often.
    Milwaukee COP will we take you down arrest you and make you fight to get your gun back.
    OK, here is another point. If you allow them to get away with it, they will. The police are not allowed to break the law in arresting you. Not only do you fight to get your gun back but you through in false arrest, etc. If citizens say nothing. they get nothing. Just the way it is.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Sure the police have a right to ask you questions. Just as you have the right to ignore them and keep on walking so long as you are not being detained. The best way to stop this type of behavior by officers is to not play their game, stopping and playing along in the interest of being "civil" in cases like this does little other than justify the officers actions in their mind and the behavior will continue.

A simple "Am I being detained officer?" when you are questioned in this manner should be sufficient, and if they insist upon pressing the issue shut up and lawyer up. A couple of lawsuits should correct the behavior and the attitude of the chief deputy I would imagine.

All of this is why I CC. Concealed means concealed. What the LEO doesn't see can't hurt me. You can't help what any one individual does or thinks, but you can work to change laws you don't like. NC now has its first Republican-majority government since the 1880's and I'm hoping they revisit the "carry in establishments that serve alcohol" clause that was defeated this summer.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
    In Forsyth County North Carolina the Police have chosen to harass law abiding citizens who choose to exercise their constitutional rights. Its bad enough that the county is doing everything it can to circumvent a new state law expanding concealed carry rights to parks but now they are intentionally trying to threaten OCers with the help of The Winston Salem Journal.

Stanley pointed out that the state does have a law against "going armed to the terror of the people." What that means is you can be charged with a violation if your carrying of a weapon scares the daylights out of folks.

"Most likely, people will call law enforcement and they will confront you and ask why you are walking down Main Street with a gun," Stanley said. "If I see a guy walking down the street and he has a gun, I will be inquisitive."

Action put off on guns-in-parks issue | JournalNow.com

Please read this article and tell me what I missed.

Tracer

he is a power hungry nutcase, all abt self and throws employees under the bus on a regular basis....
    So you know what this is all abt, he's

playing politices with the community leaders of the liberial left in Forsyth County and City of Winston Salem.

Welcome to North Carolina the Kalifornia of the South.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    THAT is the problem. This silly statute allows someone to feel quaky about others carrying firearms, and LE is thus fully authorized to take down upstanding citizens because of it. Totally unjustified, of course. The only way to change it is to stiffen the statutes to specifically proclaim brandishing/menacing as deliberate, intentional waving around a firearm at others in a threatening manner, and to specifically disallow mere carrying in any fashion as grounds for stopping or arrest. Until the gross non-definition of the GATTTOTP statute is erased from the books, harassment of this sort will remain the prerogative of the next anti-gunner who gets hired.
    I don't know what the law is there, but "here" ..... brandishing is not seeing a gun, it's using it in an "threatening " manner. Holstered, is not a threatening manner by any means.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    NC has clear case law on GATTTOTP in State v Huntley. The problem is, people either don't know, don't care, or don't understand. OC in NC is in no way, shape, or form GATTTOTP. Period, end of story. I've been looking for a case of GATTTOTP that has been successfully prosecuted on an OC'r in NC for about 4 years. Nothing. Came close with one, but they changed the charge because GATTTOTP did not fit. And that guy was actually breaking the law. That said, GATTTOTP is routinely used as an add on charge to folks already acting foolish with a weapon.

And Oldvet is spot on with his assessment too. I'm hoping our new leadership might help to work out some of these issues. That last 2 years have been good for us as far as gun laws changing. With another long session coming up it will be interesting to see if we make more progress.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    When the good Chief Deputy and his department have to hand over large sums of cash for lawsuits involving harrassment and violation of state law and constutional rights, he'll get educated in a hurry.
    I like it...OC can be an income producing activity! I hadn't thought of it in that manner.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    NC has clear case law on GATTTOTP in State v Huntley. The problem is, people either don't know, don't care, or don't understand. OC in NC is in no way, shape, or form GATTTOTP. Period, end of story. I've been looking for a case of GATTTOTP that has been successfully prosecuted on an OC'r in NC for about 4 years. Nothing. Came close with one, but they changed the charge because GATTTOTP did not fit. And that guy was actually breaking the law. That said, GATTTOTP is routinely used as an add on charge to folks already acting foolish with a weapon.

And Oldvet is spot on with his assessment too. I'm hoping our new leadership might help to work out some of these issues. That last 2 years have been good for us as far as gun laws changing. With another long session coming up it will be interesting to see if we make more progress.
    This says my point in a lot of threads, such as the "inevitable" lawsuit everytime you defend yourself with a firearm and such. Yes, the possibility exists, but I don't find the reality of it supported.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links