Open Carry Wal-Mart

This is a discussion on Open Carry Wal-Mart within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My brother-in-law open carrys at our local Walmart, and it's not even technically legal in MS because the law states that your gun must be ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Open Carry Wal-Mart

My brother-in-law open carrys at our local Walmart, and it's not even technically legal in MS because the law states that your gun must be "partially" concealed. He's never had any problems from Walmart staff or LEO's as far as I know.
    Last edited by QKShooter; February 12th, 2012 at 04:16 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I open carry in Wal-Mart here in GA with no problems.

While company policy may be in favor of allowing law abiding armed citizens in accordance with state law, it is not wise to dismiss the wishes of a manager or representative of a particular business simply because you believe them to be against "company policy". These businesses reserve the right to refuse service to anyone at any time. Individual store management, and even your front line employees all have the right to refuse and all act as representatives of the company in question with that authority.

This is not to say you should not fight the good fight and engage corporate on such issues... (I do as well), but I would not argue or otherwise partake in debate on the spot for fear of arrest under a trespass law or other such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
    My brother-in-law open carrys at our local Walmart, and it's not even technically legal in MS because the law states that your gun must be "partially" concealed. He's never had any problems from Walmart staff or LEO's as far as I know.
    Sorry to be OT, but this isn't correct. He has to have a permit if his gun is partially concealed, which some believe to include a gun in a holster in plain sight. There is no law against carrying a gun that is not concealed. I only mention this because you are also a MS resident.

As to WalMart, I have OCed at several different ones and have never had any problem. They were usually on quick runs though, not spending more than 15 or 20 minutes in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
    It would seem to me that a holster would conceal a portion of the gun, therefore it would be "partially" concealed. That being said, I would have no desire to be the test case

YMMV

Edit: OOPS, didn't see the post before mine..........My bad

I have been in boycot mode for almost 3 years at wal-mart, not concerning a ccw issue, but man have I saved a lot of money buying at local stores and paying a little more, for what i do buy, but not buying so much I did not intend to buy. I support local, over big box stores whenever possible....
    carracer likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosha View Post
    Has anyone contacted Wal-mart about allowing open carry in their stores ? I have contacted our local Wal-Mart (Fallon Nevada). The manager said "NO WAY NEVER GOIN TO HAPPEN" in this store. I thanked him for his time and response and went on my way. He told me Concealled Carry was permitted.
    how would he know?

I live in NC & travel the state from coast to coast & love stopping at different Wal-Mart stores while I am . I ALWAYS OC in every Wal-Mart that I stop in & so far I have not had any problems. I do every once in a while have people ask me the standard questions like am I a cop or is that a real gun but other than that I haven't had any issues OC'ing in Wal-Mart stores here in NC.
    Firegoddess

I've open carried in Walmarts in Tennessee and Indiana. Never had a problem.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I've OC'ed in Walmart in WA with no staffers making mention of it. A fellow customer did though, he suggested I cover up.

Quote Originally Posted by moosha View Post
    Has anyone contacted Wal-mart about allowing open carry in their stores ? I have contacted our local Wal-Mart (Fallon Nevada). The manager said "NO WAY NEVER GOIN TO HAPPEN" in this store. I thanked him for his time and response and went on my way. He told me Concealled Carry was permitted.
    It happens daily here. No big deal

Contacting the corporate offices of Walmart will fix the problem. They will tune up the manager of your local store and you will have no more trouble. Corporate policy is to allow whatever is allowed by law in the community surrounding the store.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    "As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.

For more information or further assistance, please contact your local stores management for assistance."
    -----------

That's called private property rights.

If you argue with the store manager and he calls the cops you WILL be LEAVING or be charged with TRESPASSING at the least.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I open carry just about everywhere I go. Never been asked to leave a WalMart, Target, Best Buy, or anywhere else.
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

All the WalMarts I've been to in my state don't allow weapons at all. But hey rules are made to be broken. The Super WalMart I go to I'm sure people were carrying something.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links