Open Carry Wal-Mart - Page 3

Open Carry Wal-Mart

This is a discussion on Open Carry Wal-Mart within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by moosha Has anyone contacted Wal-mart about allowing open carry in their stores ? I have contacted our local Wal-Mart (Fallon Nevada). The ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Open Carry Wal-Mart

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moosha View Post
    Has anyone contacted Wal-mart about allowing open carry in their stores ? I have contacted our local Wal-Mart (Fallon Nevada). The manager said "NO WAY NEVER GOIN TO HAPPEN" in this store. I thanked him for his time and response and went on my way. He told me Concealled Carry was permitted.
    Seen open carry a few times in Nashville area walmarts

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Walmart Corp's policy is ..... if it's legal in the state to do so, it's ok to do so in their stores.

IF the Mgr told you "NO" , advise Walmart Corp in Bentonville, Ark of that.... and ask for confirmation. You will soon get an email back telling you ... "the Manager has been informed of Corp policy" , and you will have no issues. They have been "quick" to educate Mgrs and employees ... when the subject has reared it's head.

His comments to me suggest, that he is not aware of what the local / state laws are.
    If you go anyway without emailing the Corp office, then take a copy of the law with you "highlighted" .... and then just ask them "isn't Walmart Corp policy...... and here's a copy of the law for you " .
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
    All the WalMarts I've been to in my state don't allow weapons at all. But hey rules are made to be broken. The Super WalMart I go to I'm sure people were carrying something.
    How have you come to this info? Is it posted? I don't know the intricacies of Ohio law. But if OC or CC is legal locally you could contact corporate and have them address the store Mgr. Banning weapons is something individual stores are not able to do.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Well, this topic has been hashed out a lot and the bottom line in Nevada is, it's well within their rights to not allow open carry. If you refuse to leave you can be arrested for trespassing. As with anyone's private property, they have that right.

For the record, Nevada is technically not an OC state. Nevada has no specific law regarding OC one way or the other. That's probably best right now.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

you can't carry anywhere you want....you have to respect the wishes of private property owners....if they do not want you to carry a firearm in their store don't go in...they have the right to forbid it....your rights do not necessary override the rights of others....I would like to carry everywhere, even in courthouses...but unless I want to break the law I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Well, this topic has been hashed out a lot and the bottom line in Nevada is, it's well within their rights to not allow open carry. If you refuse to leave you can be arrested for trespassing. As with anyone's private property, they have that right.

For the record, Nevada is technically not an OC state. Nevada has no specific law regarding OC one way or the other. That's probably best right now.
    Nevada IS an open carry state. Open carry is permitted by default as there are no laws forbidding it. It is concealed carry that is regulated.

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Nevada IS an open carry state. Open carry is permitted by default as there are no laws forbidding it. It is concealed carry that is regulated.
    That is the same here in Ohio. As stated before though they do have the last say if you are OC'ing in the store to ask you to leave or remove your weapon. I just always CC to avoid problems despite OC is much more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Walmart policy is they abide by the laws of the state the store is located in. I OC in Walmart all the time. Nothing has ever been said about it.
    This was my experience OC'ing in Walmarts in the Garner, Clayton, Raleigh Area in NC for two years. I have nothing but praise for the PD in those areas, all of my interactions were positive and respectful of my rights.

Only store I was ever asked to leave was a Harris Teeter. (Its always wise to comply without comment)
    firegoddess likes this.

Open and concealed a lot, especially at Wal-Mart! Only had 1 person say something to me it was a Department Manager, she said "OMG tell me that's not a real gun" I said "it sure is, doesn't do me or my family any good if its needed and its not real" she said "tell me then, that its not loaded" I said "ma'am its loaded and is holstered, an unloaded weapon does me and my family no good if I need to use it, Open Carry is allowed in NC and the store is not posted as banning firearms there fore it is legal for me to open carry here."

She said "okay if you say so" She went back to stocking shelves a few isle's over. Been back several times and nothing else has ever been said. This was at the "new" Wal-Mart on Geer St (not the safest, I conceal there now). I go to the one in Briar Creek (too busy most of the time) or the one in Morrisville (near the new Sams) never had a problem at the others, had the few "quick" double takes or people that stare at your hip kind of thing but nothing alarming.
    firegoddess likes this.
    I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
    I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating
    myself for failing to be prepared.

I was at the local Wal-Mart in Kannapolis NC and was asked to leave and was told if I return with my OC they would call the police. The problem I have with this situation was they waited till after I had spent over 300+ on a gun purchase/amo with 2 managers and 1 employee helping me to say something. I was in the store for almost 2 hours and was not once asked about my OC till I was walking out the store.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Back in 2009 I was confronted by an assistant manager of my local Walmart when he saw me open carrying. I sent an email to corporate via their website and the next day received a phone call from my local store manager.

Look for my post, but here's the response in a nut shell...

Well gang...I missed the phone call, but received a lengthy voice mail from the Collierville Walmart store manager. He must have apologized 5-6 times for the mis-informed asst mgr that confronted me while open carrying in the store last week. He stated that Walmart's policy welcomes anyone in their stores that is legally licensed to carry a handgun open or concealed.

He said the asst mgr should have never approached me and questioned why I was wearing a handgun and was 100% wrong telling me that it was against Walmart's policy. He stated he had a meeting with the asst mgr and other associates to make sure they clearly understood the policy. He went on to state that WM does have a policy against associates arming themselves while at work and that he hoped I'll continue to shop at Walmart.
    carracer likes this.
    Proud NRA member

If it is legal to open carry in your state, then it is legal to open carry in a Walmart. If the manner in which you open carry is such that it disturbs other customers in the store, then the manager has the right to ask you to leave. It's still his store. That's the reason Walmart made him a manager...to manage things. That shouldn't be all that hard for people to understand, but at 42 posts we are still discussing open carry in Walmart.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

If your state is an OC state, then just walk right in, and if asked to leave, then you contact Corporate and get the main office on them. Next time they won't hassle you. You shouldn't have asked.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Richz28 View Post
    I was at the local Wal-Mart in Kannapolis NC and was asked to leave and was told if I return with my OC they would call the police. The problem I have with this situation was they waited till after I had spent over 300+ on a gun purchase/amo with 2 managers and 1 employee helping me to say something. I was in the store for almost 2 hours and was not once asked about my OC till I was walking out the store.
    Fiendish ********. They take your money then shove you out. Smart business but fiendish. Just carry concealed and avoid the problem or don't go back.

Just OC at Starbucks -- they seem to have less of an issue with it than Wal-mart (Which is just hilarious.)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links