Open Carry Wal-Mart

Open Carry Wal-Mart

This is a discussion on Open Carry Wal-Mart within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone contacted Wal-mart about allowing open carry in their stores ? I have contacted our local Wal-Mart (Fallon Nevada). The manager said "NO WAY ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Open Carry Wal-Mart

Open Carry Wal-Mart

Has anyone contacted Wal-mart about allowing open carry in their stores ? I have contacted our local Wal-Mart (Fallon Nevada). The manager said "NO WAY NEVER GOIN TO HAPPEN" in this store. I thanked him for his time and response and went on my way. He told me Concealled Carry was permitted.

If im not mistaken they follow the laws in each state....Is nevada an OC state?
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by moosha View Post
    Has anyone contacted Wal-mart about allowing open carry in their stores ? I have contacted our local Wal-Mart (Fallon Nevada). The manager said "NO WAY NEVER GOIN TO HAPPEN" in this store. I thanked him for his time and response and went on my way. He told me Concealled Carry was permitted.
    I've seen open carry in Walmart. Nothing happened.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I don't care what any manager say's,I by authority of the Ala Governor's office and the U.S.Attorney General can carry anywhere I want.
    sauto and gottabkiddin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    This. The manager has zero authority to make corporate level decisions. I've been through this. I was told by a Asst. Mgr. that he would have not let me in if he would have seen me carrying, I was leaving BTW. It took some phone calls and emails, but I have OC'd with him working several times and he does not say anything to me. If it's legal to OC, it's legal to OC at walmart. BTW, you will not get anything in writing from corporate but that's the policy. I ended up talking to the Asset Protection Mgr to resolve my issue.
    sauto likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    I don't care what any manager say's,I by authority of the Ala Governor's office and the U.S.Attorney General can carry anywhere I want.
    LOL, you should clarify that for the OP....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

That's been my understanding of Walmarts corporate policy.

If you want to go to the trouble, email their corporate office and quote the person you spoke with. Making sure you ask for a definitive answer.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

There is a thing called Private Property ,you have to follow the rules/laws the property owner has set in place. Unless you are some sort of L.E.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    This. The manager has zero authority to make corporate level decisions. I've been through this. I was told by a Asst. Mgr. that he would have not let me in if he would have seen me carrying, I was leaving BTW. It took some phone calls and emails, but I have OC'd with him working several times and he does not say anything to me. If it's legal to OC, it's legal to OC at walmart. BTW, you will not get anything in writing from corporate but that's the policy. I ended up talking to the Asset Protection Mgr to resolve my issue.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    There is a thing called Private Property ,you have to follow the rules/laws the property owner has set in place. Unless you are some sort of L.E.O.
    That is true, However Corporate makes this choice for walmart, not the individual managers....

If it's legal to OC, it's legal to OC at Walmart... What would be the difference anyway "IF" it was concealed? It's still on you.... What kind of pistol/revolver do you carry? He MUST BE intimidated by it
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

That is true, However Corporate makes this choice for walmart, not the individual managers....
    Winner winner, chicken dinner.

If the manager asks you to leave, do it otherwise it's tresspassing. And you will be dealing with LE. But follow up with corporate because they don't have that authority. They are going beyond what corporate allows them to do. This is not a private property issue, it's a corporate policy issue.

If you own the property, set the rules, and pay the bills; then yeah you can toss anyone for OC'ing. And even thought the Mgr has control over the property, they are breaking company policy by asking you to leave if OC is legal in the state.
    JerryMac, SIGguy229 and Eagleks like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I'm reading an archive from The High Road (2007) that says the new Walmart policy is to let district managers decide on the firearms policy in their stores. I don't know if that is true or not. I'll keep snooping around and post what I find out.

A bit more Google came up with this tidbit that looks authentic...

I posted this twice since it is common question. This is what i just got from corporate Wal-Mart today Oct. 19th 2011 for future reference:

cstreply@wal-mart.com
    Thank you for your message.

Dear My Name,

There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally permitted by their state to carry the handgun.

As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.

For more information or further assistance, please contact your local stores management for assistance.

Sincerely,
    Walmart Customer Care

http://qwww.opencarry.com/forums/sho...ed-to-firearms.
    JerryMac likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

it's walmart and not bugerking you can't have it your way. respect them and they will respect you

VIP Member
    Walmart policy is they abide by the laws of the state the store is located in. I OC in Walmart all the time. Nothing has ever been said about it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    They ask you to leave at our nearest walmart

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links