Starbucks responds - Page 5

Starbucks responds

This is a discussion on Starbucks responds within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Toorop How so? The same arguments for open carry of a pistol can apply to a long gun. I find all the ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Starbucks responds

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    How so? The same arguments for open carry of a pistol can apply to a long gun. I find all the little jabs and cheap remarks sad as you can't explain the difference.
    I explained it just fine... it's a perception thing.

How about an example. What perception do you have of the Westboro Baptist Church? After all, they're exercising their right to free speech and freedom of religion...
    Dumbledork likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    How so? The same arguments for open carry of a pistol can apply to a long gun. I find all the little jabs and cheap remarks sad as you can't explain the difference.
    I am starting to smell a troll with you now.....

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I am starting to smell a troll with you now.....
    Nah, from his other posts, I think he just doesn't understand how the perception game works. People usually use an alt to troll anyway, and he does enough legitimate posting to not be an alt or a troll.

At least I hope so... I hate feeding trolls :)
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

I just sent this to Starbucks. Waiting for a response.

Please pass this on to those in charge.
    I understand there will be a boycott of your stores on February 14th, 2012 by an anti- Second Amendment group. Your company supports my right to carry a properly licensed concealed handgun on your property and they don't like that. I understand your desire to stay out of the fray and just sell coffee. But, please know that I appreciate your stand for the law of the land and although I'm not a Starbucks customer, I plan to visit my local store on Feb. 14th and purchase plenty of coffee as a counterpoint to the so called boycott. From what I can see, a lot of other pro second amendment folks are going to be doing the same. It's our way of saying, "thank you."
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "If you only knew the power of the dark side!" - Darth Vader

I plan to go to Starbuck's on the 14th. I'm not a huge fan of their coffee (Krispy Kreme for me), but I do apprecfiate what they're doing, not buckling under the pressure from the Brady Campaign and their ilk. My daughter loves their hot chocolate, anyway, so maybe I'll just have a couple of those.

Maybe I'll open carry my ninja sword and AK47.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledork View Post
    I plan to go to Starbuck's on the 14th. I'm not a huge fan of their coffee (Krispy Kreme for me), but I do apprecfiate what they're doing, not buckling under the pressure from the Brady Campaign and their ilk. My daughter loves their hot chocolate, anyway, so maybe I'll just have a couple of those.

Maybe I'll open carry my ninja sword and AK47.
    Don't forget your Segway... all the Mall Cops are driving them these days
    Dumbledork likes this.

-- John F. Kennedy

Defending America...one mall at a time.

Couldn't resist... :)
    Dumbledork likes this.

-- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post

Couldn't resist... :)
    Please stop digging through my personal photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledork View Post
    Please stop digging through my personal photos.
    Okay... that was funny.

In all seriousness though, I hope people realize that showing up somewhere looking all militant is going to be playing right into the hands of the gun-grabbers here. Especially since the regular Starbucks crowd tends to be a little on the hippie-liberal side of things who may have never been knowingly exposed to a person carrying a gun in their lives.

Please, if you really believe that showing up with your AR-15 and a Beretta in a thigh-holster to a Starbucks is a good idea, familiarize yourself with the concept of the Overton window. Not the book by Glenn Beck (though that is a good read if you like thrillers), but the socio-political concept. While I agree that we should be able to carry whatever we want wherever practical, by jumping straight to doing it we'll end up turning public opinion against us. Ultimately, we'll be doing more harm than good.

We need to go about our business just like I was always told to behave in church: don't try to go to people, make them want to come to you. If you feel like open carrying, fine, but do it in an unobtrusive and diplomatic way.

-- John F. Kennedy

I know that, even though I am not a huge fan of their coffee, I think it tastes burnt to me, I will be going into the Starbucks close to where I work and buying a large coffee to support them on the 14th. That's the day the anti-gun nuts have picked to boycott them.

I support with my dollars the businesses who recognize and respect my right to self defense.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I know that, even though I am not a huge fan of their coffee, I think it tastes burnt to me, I will be going into the Starbucks close to where I work and buying a large coffee to support them on the 14th. That's the day the anti-gun nuts have picked to boycott them.

I support with my dollars the businesses who recognize and respect my right to self defense.
    Try the new Blonde Roast, it's a much milder flavor.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Just remember folks, in the long run, and I do not mean one day, if the pennies in the till are higher on the "right" than on the "left" that is who Star will support. Quite frankly I am amazed that somehow this liberal-based company is actually in the middle of this.

I explained it just fine... it's a perception thing.

How about an example. What perception do you have of the Westboro Baptist Church? After all, they're exercising their right to free speech and freedom of religion...
    I dislike the Westboro baptist church and I hate their message. But the fact is that I am happy they choose to exercise their rights and I would defend their right to do so happily. I don't have to like the message nor do I have to listen. And I can voice my own message denouncing theirs.

But the fact is that open carrying a rifle is legal in some states and so is open carrying a pistol. I don't see the difference in perceptions as people will see a gun. Not to mention that if you are trying to draw attention to your protest, a rifle is easier to see than a pistol on ones hip. Wouldn't we want more people to see the protestors?

Okay... that was funny.

In all seriousness though, I hope people realize that showing up somewhere looking all militant is going to be playing right into the hands of the gun-grabbers here. Especially since the regular Starbucks crowd tends to be a little on the hippie-liberal side of things who may have never been knowingly exposed to a person carrying a gun in their lives.

Please, if you really believe that showing up with your AR-15 and a Beretta in a thigh-holster to a Starbucks is a good idea, familiarize yourself with the concept of the Overton window. Not the book by Glenn Beck (though that is a good read if you like thrillers), but the socio-political concept. While I agree that we should be able to carry whatever we want wherever practical, by jumping straight to doing it we'll end up turning public opinion against us. Ultimately, we'll be doing more harm than good.

We need to go about our business just like I was always told to behave in church: don't try to go to people, make them want to come to you. If you feel like open carrying, fine, but do it in an unobtrusive and diplomatic way.
    Perhaps the Starbucks crowd is in your area, but I know in my locale it is mostly business folks and local entrepreneurs, more clean-shaven boring conservative types hang out at my local Starbucks. I think it is silly to say that there really is a one size fits all crowd. And who cares what they think anyway as Starbucks said they are cool with open carry as long as it is legal.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links