Open Carrying in Urban/Downtown Areas

This is a discussion on Open Carrying in Urban/Downtown Areas within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by wmhawth I do not. I live in a state where open carry is legal however I limit my own open carry to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Open Carrying in Urban/Downtown Areas

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I do not. I live in a state where open carry is legal however I limit my own open carry to mostly wilderness areas.

a. I do not wish to draw attention to myself.

b. The usual arguments for OCing in public don't apply to me as I carry only for self defense and have no interest in making a statement, educating the public, or hoping an openly displayed gun will serve as a deterrant to crime.

c. I believe there is a tactical advantage to surprise. If I'm required to produce my pistol in self defense I want it to be unexpected by the bad guy.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tactilame View Post
    if I were to interact with the cops I'd gladly inform them that my ID/permit are right upstairs. If they were uneducated about the legality of OC in Ohio, I'd gladly let them know about it while complying with their requests. :)
    I don't know about the laws in your state but in most places you MUST have your permit and ID on you when you are carrying your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    I don't know about the laws in your state but in most places you MUST have your permit and ID on you when you are carrying your gun.
    Many states are OC without a permit, and unless driving there is no requirement to have your "identity papers" on you at all times.
    DaveH likes this.

I also OC in Boise often. Never had a sour look. One guy stopped me and wanted to know more.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

I have seen people open carrying in Cinci. . . They were also standing in front of a crack house in the middle of the ghetto when we got lost trying to get to Julian's Hibachi. . . Other than that I've never really seen anyone open carry. Most people I notice are wearing a jacket to cover which is what I do when I'm not carrying IWB.

VIP Member
    I'm pretty much the same way. I don't really do it for attention, but in this neighborhood I feel safer with my firearm on my person, and often when unloading groceries (no off street parking) or other items up to my apartment, I toss my wallet (and therefore my CCW permit and DL) in the drawer because I feel more comfortable being out on the street without any cash/credit cards/etc. The transition from concealed to open carry is natural because, being winter time, it just involves me taking off my jacket. I suppose I could keep my permit/DL in my pocket and leave my wallet inside, but I just prefer this system I guess.

And as I'm not OC'ing to make a statement or draw attention, if I were to interact with the cops I'd gladly inform them that my ID/permit are right upstairs. If they were uneducated about the legality of OC in Ohio, I'd gladly let them know about it while complying with their requests. :)
    While I question the wisdom of what you are doing, here are some suggestions which may save you heartache later on.

1_ Make absolutely certain that when you OC it is absolutely clear that you are doing that and not some murky concealed carry
    that slipped. That way, assuming you are right and OC is legal where you are, there will be no confusion. It will be clear
    what you did is lawful.

2_ Since you are not concealed carrying, but you are carrying, I think it would be prudent to have some ID on you. It need not
    be your CHL or your DL but something to show an officer should one decide to talk to you. You don't have to have ID as far as I
    know, but probably you would make the inquiring officer more instantly comfortable if you had it and could present it.

3_ In many states you can get a state issued ID for a few bucks and a tiny bit of trouble ( a trip to the DL office). It is a handy
    thing to have as a second form of ID if you need one, and it isn't a big deal if it gets stolen. Just keep it on you all the time.

4_ I can see a situation happen where you get yourself tangled up mentally and accidentally leave with it concealed, but without
    either DL or CHL on you. That is a downside of continually changing things up the way you do and taking your wallet in and out of your pocket. Sooner or later you will absentmindedly mess up. While a state issued ID won't absolve you of violating any
    law that requires you to carry a DL or a CHL, at least you will have something with you to validate who you are so the officer can check your claim that you indeed are a licensed driver, or are indeed are a CHL holder. You may still have to face some
    charge or other -- I don't know Ohio law-- but things will likely go smoother for you.

When I was a young man it was technically illegal for a male to leave home without his Draft Card in his possession. While that law was not generally enforced at all, I had heard stories of big roundups of the hapless during WWI. For that reason I got
    in the habit of never leaving the house without my wallet. I realize of course that leaves you open to getting it stolen; so I do
    see your point. But, given the totality of things and the way the world works, you should probably have a state ID on you when
    you open carry. My opinion only; and I'd be really interested to hear what an Ohio LEO like Sixto has to say on this.
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Hopyard,

Thank you for the insight. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to make the transition to carrying my CCW and DL on my person at all times, separated from my wallet. That way when I toss my wallet in the dresser there's no extra step to insure I have those things on me. And when I have OC'd, I always make sure it actually IS open carry. I keep my shirt tucked in and my gun in a blackhawk serpa holster on my belt on my hip. When CC'ing in this weather, I just put on my long winter coat which covers it sufficiently, but I'm sure I'll have to change my system in the warmer months anyway so I will take your advice to heart.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

The funny thing is that I used to play World of Warcraft, so I'm used to encountering spambots advertising gold. But, I never expected to run into one here!
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

Here in sunny AZ, its kind of a non-issue, you see it frequently, even in the major cities. No one seems to notice, as it should be.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Many states are OC without a permit, and unless driving there is no requirement to have your "identity papers" on you at all times.
    If anyone is interested in a bit of info on "stop and identify", including the states with various versions of it. NC has no such law. It's good info to know, even if you don't use it. As everything, dig deeper than wiki if you plan on using the info during a stop.

Stop and identify statutes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I have OCed in and around Harrisburg, PA, Philadelphia, Lexington, KY, NoVA, Portland and Bangor ME with no issues. All legal.

VIP Member
    I won't be a jerk so long as no one tries to jerk my FNX-9 from its holster ;)
    I, for one, prefer a dbl retention holster when OCing.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I avoid going downtown, unless no choice.
    Not even for VCDL Lobby Day?

Or does that fall into the no choice catagory -- as the legislators aren't going to be concentrated somewhere else?

It works for me.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Virginia for one.

In Virginia, OC is the only way to carry legally for someone under the age of 21.

And folk do.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I'm pretty much the same way. I don't really do it for attention, but in this neighborhood I feel safer with my firearm on my person, and often when unloading groceries (no off street parking) or other items up to my apartment, I toss my wallet (and therefore my CCW permit and DL) in the drawer because I feel more comfortable being out on the street without any cash/credit cards/etc. The transition from concealed to open carry is natural because, being winter time, it just involves me taking off my jacket. I suppose I could keep my permit/DL in my pocket and leave my wallet inside, but I just prefer this system I guess.

And as I'm not OC'ing to make a statement or draw attention, if I were to interact with the cops I'd gladly inform them that my ID/permit are right upstairs. If they were uneducated about the legality of OC in Ohio, I'd gladly let them know about it while complying with their requests. :)

Move to a safer neighborhood and find a safer area to shop for groceries!!!

I mean seriously, it is that bad that you do not carry your wallet and think that the best option is to OC??? How much is your life worth to you? Pay the higher rent and move.

If there is an area you wouldn't go without a gun - DON'T GO THERE PERIOD!!! You are asking for trouble.

I am against OCing for the million reasons that have been posted before. Do a search and you will get more than you ever wanted to know about peoples opinions on OCing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links