Open Carrying in Urban/Downtown Areas - Page 3

Open Carrying in Urban/Downtown Areas

This is a discussion on Open Carrying in Urban/Downtown Areas within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TrailWolf Move to a safer neighborhood and find a safer area to shop for groceries!!! I mean seriously, it is that bad ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Open Carrying in Urban/Downtown Areas

Quote Originally Posted by TrailWolf View Post
    Move to a safer neighborhood and find a safer area to shop for groceries!!!

I mean seriously, it is that bad that you do not carry your wallet and think that the best option is to OC??? How much is your life worth to you? Pay the higher rent and move.

If there is an area you wouldn't go without a gun - DON'T GO THERE PERIOD!!! You are asking for trouble.

I am against OCing for the million reasons that have been posted before. Do a search and you will get more than you ever wanted to know about peoples opinions on OCing.

Moving isn't really an option right now, considering I just moved into this place a little under a month ago. And believe me, this place is a major step up in terms of safety compared to the last place.

As for not carrying my wallet when moving things in, that's more of a left-over habit from the last place I lived, and it just makes me feel more comfortable, it has little to do with feeling safe. It's hard to explain, but it's become a strange psychological OCD sort of thing. There are really very few areas I wouldn't go without a gun, and I never venture to those parts of town anyway. And that's pretty irrelevant anyway considering I'm almost always carrying, I don't pick and choose where to carry based on how safe I'll feel there. When I mentioned I felt safer with my weapon on in this neighborhood, I was just trying to imply that this isn't a perfectly safe neighborhood. But it's not in the ghetto by any means.

I've done plenty of searching. I've been lurking this forum a lot longer than I've been posting. My question was specifically about OC'ing in urban/downtown areas, which, in searching, I did not come across a lot of info about.

I actually love this neighborhood, it's vibrant, full of life, eclectic, and there's plenty to do. And believe it or not, my rent is pretty high as it is :)
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I, for one, prefer a dbl retention holster when OCing.
    I don't really need one at the moment considering my gut hangs over my gun a little as it is

However, since I've been hitting the gym a lot more often, I might look into that.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I don't think it is an issue in Richmond when I used to live there. Although I personally never open carried there, I have known one co-worker who does that on his own time and also witnessed 2 men open carrying. One of them, I talked to, as I noticed him carrying in Long John Silvers. I asked him if any cop gave him any problems. And he said he never had any issues w/ authorities. And the customers and employees at that establishment didn't even notice.

FL is not OC, not that I would anyway. You can't OC in the worst area of any town but you can OC going to & from fishing. Funny.

Open carry is quite legal here, but would raise eyebrows in a big way. It is neither discouraged or encouraged. I have absolutely no problem witth open carry. I choose not to do it to avoid the inevitable headaches.

As much as I love my right to Open Carry, both in Washington and Arizona, where I lived prior to moving to Washington, it can draw a lot of unnecessary attention and that is not a good thing.

Remember that carrying is for protecting lives and property, so ultimately it really doesn't matter which way you carry.

But what if, for some reason, you don't have a concealed permit, yet live in a state that allows open carry?

I personally don't have a problem living in a world where open carry didn't draw unnecessary attention and was the norm, but you know how "the general public" is, generally irresponsible and ignorant. You'd be likely to draw the wrong kind of attention.
    Everyday, amateur gun enthusiast. Active duty, Army.
    Read my gun blog!
    MyGunDiary.com

I OC every now and then. i CC the vast majority of the time though. I usually just OC after a range trip or shortly before one, or if I have not bothered changing holsters since going to the range. I have never had any real issues. I've only noticed strange looks ~2x. And I believe both were on the first day I ever OC'd. I like OC and CC, both have there pros and cons. I enjoy OC because of comfort and ease of access. But CC for the whole surprise factor (if I ever would need it). If its legal in your area do like people have said before me, be polite and respectful, I think that's the biggest factor with any controversial thing. It's how people view you. People don't freak out when they see a cop with a gun (most anyways) because they don't see them as a threatening person. So pretty much... do what you want, just consider everything.
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

Never had a problem OC'ing in Down town Memphis or here in Indianapolis. It has been a complete non-issue.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I OC and CC depending on what my interpretation of the threat is. In crowds, I generally have it concealed but not always. Sometimes when in a rural area, I have a jacket on thereby concealing my weapon. In NC, I can do both and i do and I am usually the one determining my method of carry. I may as I get older and unable to implement effective retention techniques conceal more than I do now but that is a call I will have to make at a future time.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links