Michigan OC Question

Michigan OC Question

This is a discussion on Michigan OC Question within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to the OC/CPL discussion and do not have a CPL as of yet (Take the course on Feb 11th), but I have ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Michigan OC Question

Michigan OC Question

I am new to the OC/CPL discussion and do not have a CPL as of yet (Take the course on Feb 11th), but I have been around firearms for years (including military). I have a question regarding Michigan OC law & Vehicle transport.

I am probably misreading the law in Michigan, but I believe there are specific times you can transport your weapon. They are basically like to & from ranges, cleaning/repair, moving etc.

So if that is the case, what legal ramifications are there if someone has their weapon stored properly in their vehicle and they are going to the park or something (not to shoot, but plan on open carrying), or to a restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol etc., and is pulled over. Wouldn't this be an issue?

I am curious as I would like to support open carry, but also do not want to create issues for me getting a CPL just because I am transporting a firearm so I can open carry it.

Thanks in advance.
    - Andy

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    In Michigan without a CPL you can have have a loaded weapon in the car period. For open carry you would have to drive to where you are going, uncase the weapon and then carry it openly.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    In Michigan without a CPL you can have have a loaded weapon in the car period. For open carry you would have to drive to where you are going, uncase the weapon and then carry it openly.
    I think you mean..."you cannot"...
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; January 31st, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
    oneshot likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Here is the website for Mi opencarry... Michigan Open Carry, Inc. | Nothing to hide!

Here is my nephews page here at DC.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/members/spec.html

He is very active with opencarry in MI.

Please PM him with Questions and concerns.
    He is a law student @ U of D Mercy and would like to someday specialize in 2nd amendment.
    He also works, so it may take a day or two to get a response from him.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Thanks for the info. I know it is illegal to conceal or carry a loaded weapon in Michigan. I think I was able to get the answer. My concern was if it was legal to open carry, yet, transporting a firearm was illegal, how do people go from point A to point B, but it looks like the "to" and "from" law was expanded. Thanks again for the info.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    750.231a Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2); definitions.
    Sec. 231a.

(1) Subsection (2) of section 227 does not apply to any of the following:

(a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.

(b) To the regular and ordinary transportation of pistols as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms.

(c) To a person carrying an antique firearm as defined in subsection (2), completely unloaded in a closed case or container designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of a vehicle.

(d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.

(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

(2) As used in this section:

(a) "Antique firearm" means either of the following:

(i) A firearm not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica of such a firearm, whether actually manufactured before or after 1898.

(ii) A firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

(b) "Lawful purpose" includes the following:

(i) While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.

(ii) While transporting a pistol en route to or from his or her home or place of business and place of repair.

(iii) While moving goods from 1 place of abode or business to another place of abode or business.

(iv) While transporting a licensed pistol en route to or from a law enforcement agency or for the purpose of having a law enforcement official take possession of the weapon.

(v) While en route to or from his or her abode or place of business and a gun show or places of purchase or sale.

(vi) While en route to or from his or her abode to a public shooting facility or public land where discharge of firearms is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.

(vii) While en route to or from his or her abode to a private property location where the pistol is to be used as is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.

this last section I have highlighted should cover you. Thanks Oneshot.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Here's another good source related to MI gun laws: MSP - Firearms
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Sponsored Links