A terrible mistake with Starbucks - Page 3

A terrible mistake with Starbucks

This is a discussion on A terrible mistake with Starbucks within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rammerjammer PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not ever add a subforum for politics religion etc on this forum. It will only ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: A terrible mistake with Starbucks

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not ever add a subforum for politics religion etc on this forum. It will only create controversy and hurt feelings.

Honestly, does anyone believe that the world's greatest mysteries or debates are going to be solved here on the forum? With all due respect to the forum and its members.

Let's talk about guns!
    You are kidding right. People get offended if you mention a specific caliber right now and that is gun related. And that obviously isn't going to get settled soon. A sub forum would be kinda neat. You have members that are very well versed in firearms and there input is greatly appreciated. But they also might be very opinionated on other issuees. They can be an asset on the main forum and an a** on the other
    A forum is not to "solve world's greatest mysteries or debates", it is to present ideas and debate. If there were a subforrum and you don't like it, don't go to it. It would not hurt DC if moderated reasonably.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    As in all views on politics, religion, and a host of other subjects, one side is always right; the other side is always wrong. Pick your side--it makes no difference to the the other.
    ctr and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I don't do MyFace or SpaceBook. The last thing I want is to insert myself in to a whizzing match and invite people's noses into my personal business. Want to support Starbucks? Buy some coffee. Tell your buddies to buy some coffee too. If you engage in a battle of wits with an idiot, they will quickly drag you down to their level and proceed to beat you with experience. Just ignore them and go on about your business.

PS. Consider shutting down your MyFace account for a while and then opening up a new one later. That's about your only chance if you want to stay in social media (which I'll never understand why anyone would want to do).
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I don't do MyFace or SpaceBook. The last thing I want is to insert myself in to a whizzing match and invite people's noses into my personal business. Want to support Starbucks? Buy some coffee. Tell your buddies to buy some coffee too. If you engage in a battle of wits with an idiot, they will quickly drag you down to their level and proceed to beat you with experience. Just ignore them and go on about your business.

PS. Consider shutting down your MyFace account for a while and then opening up a new one later. That's about your only chance if you want to stay in social media (which I'll never understand why anyone would want to do).
    I agree. Coming from an internet security background, Facebook is a major "don't". I'm amazed at how everybody is so concerned about their privacy rights, yet at the same time, share everything there is to know about them-self on Facebook. Any notion of log-in security on any public web sight is just a speed-bump for someone wishing to access any data that is stored behind it. When I sold security software, we'd get the prospect to sign a waiver, then one of my guys (sitting in his PJ's at home) would hack the prospect's sight while I was doing my sales pitch. Then, I'd conclude the presentation with the information that we had accessed. It was a rough way to sell software, but very effective, just the same.

This forum is the extent of my online presence. However, I've decided that what I gain here is worth the risks of what I expose about myself.
    atctimmy likes this.

The more work you put on moderators, the less enjoyable it is to be a moderator. Political and/or religious forums or sub-forums are a fulltime job to moderate. They will also attract folks who have no interest in guns but will be more than happy to share their opinions on religion and politics and no, in most cases they aren't really interested in your opinion. I've yet to see an internet forum change anyone's opinion in regard to religion or politics. I have seen it change people's mind about being a moderator though. Just my two cents on the subject.
    rammerjammer likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

For what it's worth, I am thoroughly imjpressed with Starbuck's, for their support of civil rights...all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    This forum is the extent of my online presence. However, I've decided that what I gain here is worth the risks of what I expose about myself.
    Me too. The company I work for has a thorough social media policy. I'm not going to jeopardize my career over stupid stuff in the interwebs. If I haven't talked to people in 15 years, there's likely a darn good reason. I don't want to see pictures of them or know what they're doing every 3 minutes...and I could care less if they even remember I exist. When it comes to not keeping in touch with people, the people who matter don't mind, and the people who mind don't matter.
    mcp1810 and WHEC724 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Well, in light of the upcoming boycott of Starbucks from the anti-gun crowd, I felt it was justifiable to post something on the Starbucks Facebook wall. So I did. I do not mean for this to become a political discussion about a subject that has absolutely no connection to this forum. Hate mail is kind of a new thing for me, though. Evidently, there is another heated topic going on with these guys. It concerns a type of marriage, and that's as far as I will go with it. After I posted my Attaboy to Starbuck's wall, I was asked if I support this other subject that seems to be going on. I simply replied "No." Oh man. That was unwise. At my age, a guy ought to know better. Have been accused of being a redneck Klan member who wants to can't wait to "off" somebody, most likely the folks who took the most offense to my lack of support for their cause. Other accusations abound, but obscenity rules prevent me from listing them here.

Funny thing. I thought that a conservative Republican such as myself was supposed to be the intolerant one (stereotypically), while those of a more, shall we say, "liberal" viewpoint, were much more tolerant. I guess not. Well, that's what happens when you voice your opinion, no matter how moderately. I used to get on Facebook maybe once every six months to see how the family was. Now it seems as though alternate means of communication are in order. Man, are they mad at me.
    In the future, remember, the answer isn't "No", it's "I was just talking about 'x'... I don't think I want to get into a discussion about 'y'."
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Yes, all well and good. Still, the occasional drift over the line into semi-political territory here is probably a needed thing from time to time.

No, not to promote conflict or ill feelings - nobody wants that. But it is very important that a good portion of the membership here be reminded that many gun owners here are liberals, Democrats, and people working to support the President. Some people talk as if gun ownership is antithetical to any mindset outside of the good ol' boy, yahoo, whoop-dee-doodie, yim-yam, jingle-bobbles.

It's important that we understand that the desire to protect oneself and one's loved companions in this world supersedes religious, political, and even sexual affiliation. It's a human right and a very human desire.

At the end of the road, what we're all hoping is that we never have to defend ourselves, as Mas would put it, "in the gravest extreme." But if we do, then we hope we'll emerge on the better side of the bargain. And that perspective aligns us against any person, group, organization, agency, or institution that would seek to deny us that ability. Everything else is turtles all the way down.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    The more work you put on moderators, the less enjoyable it is to be a moderator. Political and/or religious forums or sub-forums are a fulltime job to moderate. They will also attract folks who have no interest in guns but will be more than happy to share their opinions on religion and politics and no, in most cases they aren't really interested in your opinion. I've yet to see an internet forum change anyone's opinion in regard to religion or politics. I have seen it change people's mind about being a moderator though. Just my two cents on the subject.
    Recruit a current moderator or member(s) to moderate soley on the sub-forums.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    "WWJD" ?

What is this? What would JD do?
    I saw the bumper sticker: WTFWJD

Perfect.

I'm obviously not a moderator on this site, but over the years, I have been mod, site admin, forum admin and webmaster of six different forums and chat rooms. Each of those was dedicated to a particular sort of activity or topic, and five of the six had many sub forums that spun off on side topics or tangent. Without fail, there were people who wanted a separate forum to discuss either the religious or political aspect of the general topic......and again, WITHOUT FAIL, those subforums were the source of great gnashing of teeth and heated discourse, even though the general and on=topic forums remained mostly civil.

My point, at length, is to leave religion and politics at a distance. If there is a religious or political aspect to a particular topic or thread, there may be reason to keep it focused in that thread. Having a separate room or forum just to debate religion or politics on THIS site........is just asking for grief.

In my very humble opinion...
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

VIP Member
    OP I had some FB drama a few years ago that caused me to close my FB account. What I did about 6 months ago was re-open my account, use a fake name, remove all pictures of me and delete any friends that weren't real friends.

All the folks I knew from high school that I hadn't talked to in 20 years but were FB friends got deleted. People from work or church that i only knew well enough to say hi to but didn't really know got canned. All I kept were actual friends that I do things with in the real world. I kept the friends that were REAL friends and none of them had any problem figuring out who I was after just a few posts.

All information that told people who I was got removed. I haven't had any problems since.
    limatunes likes this.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    OP I had some FB drama a few years ago that caused me to close my FB account. What I did about 6 months ago was re-open my account, use a fake name, remove all pictures of me and delete any friends that weren't real friends.

All the folks I knew from high school that I hadn't talked to in 20 years but were FB friends got deleted. People from work or church that i only knew well enough to say hi to but didn't really know got canned. All I kept were actual friends that I do things with in the real world. I kept the friends that were REAL friends and none of them had any problem figuring out who I was after just a few posts.

All information that told people who I was got removed. I haven't had any problems since.
    This is how you do it.

I don't get when people have 600 "friends" and post every detail about their personal life. It's great to keep in contact with those you want tothat may be out of reach. Aside from that it doesn't need to be a dumping ground for ones personal information.

I just ate a ham sandwhich. YUMMY!!
    posted saturday june 19th 1:12 pm.

This has no need being sent through those interwebs.

My wife and I have FB accounts. We look at them every day but seldom post to it unless it is actually worthwhile (like when my son gets and acceptance letter from a college). I got 23 friend and family of which Star trek, Chess, NE Patriots, Boston Bruins, Celtics, and Red Sox are "friends". Good way to keep up on hobby's. Never use your FB login for other sites!
    My cousin I de friended recently kept sending political crap to us. But FB has gotten out of control

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links