Defensive Carry banner

A terrible mistake with Starbucks

6K views 60 replies 37 participants last post by  Dumbledork 
#1 ·
Well, in light of the upcoming boycott of Starbucks from the anti-gun crowd, I felt it was justifiable to post something on the Starbucks Facebook wall. So I did. I do not mean for this to become a political discussion about a subject that has absolutely no connection to this forum. Hate mail is kind of a new thing for me, though. Evidently, there is another heated topic going on with these guys. It concerns a type of marriage, and that's as far as I will go with it. After I posted my Attaboy to Starbuck's wall, I was asked if I support this other subject that seems to be going on. I simply replied "No." Oh man. That was unwise. At my age, a guy ought to know better. Have been accused of being a ******* Klan member who wants to can't wait to "off" somebody, most likely the folks who took the most offense to my lack of support for their cause. Other accusations abound, but obscenity rules prevent me from listing them here.

Funny thing. I thought that a conservative Republican such as myself was supposed to be the intolerant one (stereotypically), while those of a more, shall we say, "liberal" viewpoint, were much more tolerant. I guess not. Well, that's what happens when you voice your opinion, no matter how moderately. I used to get on Facebook maybe once every six months to see how the family was. Now it seems as though alternate means of communication are in order. Man, are they mad at me.

See less See more
#2 ·
9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we DO NOT allow the discussion of these topics. We discourage "caliber war" threads and strongly encourage you not to post a thread starting one. Regardless of your level of experience, caliber is a personal preference and what is right for you may not be right for others.
Just a reminder....

#4 ·
I try not to get involved with political discussions. It's not that I ain't political, I just dislike conflict. I'm the dude who just wants to be friends with everybody.

Kind of like when people ask me what I think about Obama. I say "I don't care who wins, I was just told Obama had change for a twenty."

#6 ·
I don't see what the big deal is with the locking down of some of these threads. Sure, I understand the rules, and rules must be enforced. But like today with the WWJC thread, it was shut down and really, there were no hostile words being spoken. Are we at a zero tolerance here on the forum, or has the new ownership put a lockdown status on any issue that people are interested in that may have some controversy?

Reactions: Chad Rogers
#9 ·
I don't see what the big deal is with the locking down of some of these threads. Sure, I understand the rules, and rules must be enforced. But like today with the WWJC thread, it was shut down and really, there were no hostile words being spoken. Are we at a zero tolerance here on the forum, or has the new ownership put a lockdown status on any issue that people are interested in that may have some controversy?
Not to state the obvious but....this thread isn't locked. :confused:

also just keep in mind that im typing with one hand...

As for zero tolerance...it varies from topic to topic. Politics that arent gun related? Thats been a no-go prior to the new owners taking over the reins. Religious content...it depends.

As for Smity's comment, no offense smitty but you dont know what you're talking about IF you are including this forum in your overview as the policies regarding prohibited topics in place here predate paid sponsorship and ads.

If you go back and read the above portion of quoted rules, they do state:

9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we DO NOT allow the discussion of these topics.

Again, Bumper put that text in there...

edited to add:As ive stated previously, the new owners are relatively hands off and the day to day stuff is still done by the same folks by the sames rules as before.

#7 ·
Web forums are about selling ads so they avoid controversy . Sad part is only one side gets filter more than others just the way it no madder what the forum is based on

Reactions: TN_Mike
#8 ·
I certainly don't mind controversy as long as people don't resort to personal attacks, insults, and slander. Unfortunately, I've noticed some people on this forum will go to that level quickly, given the chance. I'm happy to discuss any topic as long as people want to be civil and quote facts and logic, rather than insults.

#10 ·
I gotta say, aside from DC having a lot of very knowledgeable people, a big reason I like this board so much is because its moderated so well. There is a forum related to open carry that I visited to get updates about WI laws, but there is little or no moderation. Although I agree with a fair amount of the political stuff being posted, it still gets annoying when I go to a gun forum and half the posts are political and full of bickering between members.

That being said, I will still be visiting Starbucks in direct response to the anti-2A boycott.

#12 ·
Just FYI - The no non firearms related politics rule has been posted on the forum rules page since our inception. In fact it was a forum rule BEFORE DefensiveCarry was DefensiveCarry. Back then and before the name change this was CombatCarry.com

In fact Bumper started the ConservativeStronghold so that members could have a place to discuss all political issues there in order to keep it off of here.

#13 ·
So you have an opinion? Whats the big deal. I cannot understand why some people who trash or hate on others just becoz their opinion differs from a liberal or conservative point of view. Well all have opinions, heck! We are all only human. Multi, don't take it personally...those haters are prolly just some young people who have let their emotions and anger cloud their good sense of judgment and ability for reasonable discourse and debate. Liberal/Conservative, Repub/dem, we are all Americans...thats something we should all remember, cause when SHTF...who is gonna be the ones backing us up?? Fellow Americans! regardless of sex, culture, creed, and political ideology. As far as marriage goes...call me a libertarian...cuz why would anyone wanna go thru that tortuous hell of marriage is beyond me. Freedom! Freedom I say! lol

#14 ·
Regardless of which public forum you post on, and whatever the theme, format or area of interest, you will find flamers and trolls in search of a game.

#15 ·
From time to time it may be worth taking a look around. Notice anything different about DC from other sites? I sure do. It is us, the members, the moderators, the community. No cusing, no bad language, very few vulger references. I have always believed you can tell a lot about a person by the way they conduct themselves and articulate the point of view. Those who can do so without resorting to the former, personal attacks, and small behavior in general are gentlemen. That is one of the many things that makes DC special among other sites, in my opinion.

#16 ·
I agree with CTR. I favor this forum the most because it is moderated well and doesn't allow especially religious or political topics.

If you are here on this forum you should be here to talk about guns and all things self defense related.

If you want to discuss politics or religion, go somewhere else.

There is a forum I go to less frequently because it seems that half the threads are either disparaging Obama or praising Jesus. I can't stand it and find myself going there less and less.

#20 ·
I could not have said it better. I am a liberal myself but I dislike the idea of politics on a carry forum. If there was a subforum for it that would be fine but it isn't my board to decide. I've been banned from another forum for heated debates as they only allowed one political view to be voiced. I like it here where it is not about political views.

#19 ·
Who doesn't like debating religious topics on the internet? It's the greatest waste of time in the history of the world, but it's fun. I also have to make a conscious effort not to curse on this site, but so it goes.

As for the OP - if somebody gets that upset over a facebook post, then screw 'em. Your point of view is fairly common. I don't believe any state has allowed gay marriage due to popular vote.

#22 ·
"WWJD" ?

What is this? What would JD do?

#26 ·
My experience tells me that hypocrisy and intolerance are sometimes the only thing 2 sides have in common. I'm not scared to admit it. But some people are.

Reactions: Dumbledork
#29 ·
I have learned over time that the moderators will moderate and if I can't post something relevant and without being a sarcastic ass then I need to just move on to the next thread

#32 ·
As in all views on politics, religion, and a host of other subjects, one side is always right; the other side is always wrong. Pick your side--it makes no difference to the the other.

Reactions: msgt/ret and ctr
#33 ·
I don't do MyFace or SpaceBook. The last thing I want is to insert myself in to a whizzing match and invite people's noses into my personal business. Want to support Starbucks? Buy some coffee. Tell your buddies to buy some coffee too. If you engage in a battle of wits with an idiot, they will quickly drag you down to their level and proceed to beat you with experience. Just ignore them and go on about your business.

PS. Consider shutting down your MyFace account for a while and then opening up a new one later. That's about your only chance if you want to stay in social media (which I'll never understand why anyone would want to do).

#34 ·
I agree. Coming from an internet security background, Facebook is a major "don't". I'm amazed at how everybody is so concerned about their privacy rights, yet at the same time, share everything there is to know about them-self on Facebook. Any notion of log-in security on any public web sight is just a speed-bump for someone wishing to access any data that is stored behind it. When I sold security software, we'd get the prospect to sign a waiver, then one of my guys (sitting in his PJ's at home) would hack the prospect's sight while I was doing my sales pitch. Then, I'd conclude the presentation with the information that we had accessed. It was a rough way to sell software, but very effective, just the same.

This forum is the extent of my online presence. However, I've decided that what I gain here is worth the risks of what I expose about myself.

#35 ·
The more work you put on moderators, the less enjoyable it is to be a moderator. Political and/or religious forums or sub-forums are a fulltime job to moderate. They will also attract folks who have no interest in guns but will be more than happy to share their opinions on religion and politics and no, in most cases they aren't really interested in your opinion. I've yet to see an internet forum change anyone's opinion in regard to religion or politics. I have seen it change people's mind about being a moderator though. Just my two cents on the subject.

#38 ·
In the future, remember, the answer isn't "No", it's "I was just talking about 'x'... I don't think I want to get into a discussion about 'y'."

#39 ·
Yes, all well and good. Still, the occasional drift over the line into semi-political territory here is probably a needed thing from time to time.

No, not to promote conflict or ill feelings - nobody wants that. But it is very important that a good portion of the membership here be reminded that many gun owners here are liberals, Democrats, and people working to support the President. Some people talk as if gun ownership is antithetical to any mindset outside of the good ol' boy, yahoo, whoop-dee-doodie, yim-yam, jingle-bobbles.

It's important that we understand that the desire to protect oneself and one's loved companions in this world supersedes religious, political, and even sexual affiliation. It's a human right and a very human desire.

At the end of the road, what we're all hoping is that we never have to defend ourselves, as Mas would put it, "in the gravest extreme." But if we do, then we hope we'll emerge on the better side of the bargain. And that perspective aligns us against any person, group, organization, agency, or institution that would seek to deny us that ability. Everything else is turtles all the way down.

#42 ·
I'm obviously not a moderator on this site, but over the years, I have been mod, site admin, forum admin and webmaster of six different forums and chat rooms. Each of those was dedicated to a particular sort of activity or topic, and five of the six had many sub forums that spun off on side topics or tangent. Without fail, there were people who wanted a separate forum to discuss either the religious or political aspect of the general topic......and again, WITHOUT FAIL, those subforums were the source of great gnashing of teeth and heated discourse, even though the general and on=topic forums remained mostly civil.

My point, at length, is to leave religion and politics at a distance. If there is a religious or political aspect to a particular topic or thread, there may be reason to keep it focused in that thread. Having a separate room or forum just to debate religion or politics on THIS site........is just asking for grief.

In my very humble opinion...

#43 ·
OP I had some FB drama a few years ago that caused me to close my FB account. What I did about 6 months ago was re-open my account, use a fake name, remove all pictures of me and delete any friends that weren't real friends.

All the folks I knew from high school that I hadn't talked to in 20 years but were FB friends got deleted. People from work or church that i only knew well enough to say hi to but didn't really know got canned. All I kept were actual friends that I do things with in the real world. I kept the friends that were REAL friends and none of them had any problem figuring out who I was after just a few posts.

All information that told people who I was got removed. I haven't had any problems since.

Reactions: limatunes
#44 ·
This is how you do it.

I don't get when people have 600 "friends" and post every detail about their personal life. It's great to keep in contact with those you want tothat may be out of reach. Aside from that it doesn't need to be a dumping ground for ones personal information.

I just ate a ham sandwhich. YUMMY!!:danceban:
posted saturday june 19th 1:12 pm.

This has no need being sent through those interwebs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.