A terrible mistake with Starbucks

This is a discussion on A terrible mistake with Starbucks within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, in light of the upcoming boycott of Starbucks from the anti-gun crowd, I felt it was justifiable to post something on the Starbucks Facebook ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: A terrible mistake with Starbucks

Well, in light of the upcoming boycott of Starbucks from the anti-gun crowd, I felt it was justifiable to post something on the Starbucks Facebook wall. So I did. I do not mean for this to become a political discussion about a subject that has absolutely no connection to this forum. Hate mail is kind of a new thing for me, though. Evidently, there is another heated topic going on with these guys. It concerns a type of marriage, and that's as far as I will go with it. After I posted my Attaboy to Starbuck's wall, I was asked if I support this other subject that seems to be going on. I simply replied "No." Oh man. That was unwise. At my age, a guy ought to know better. Have been accused of being a redneck Klan member who wants to can't wait to "off" somebody, most likely the folks who took the most offense to my lack of support for their cause. Other accusations abound, but obscenity rules prevent me from listing them here.

Funny thing. I thought that a conservative Republican such as myself was supposed to be the intolerant one (stereotypically), while those of a more, shall we say, "liberal" viewpoint, were much more tolerant. I guess not. Well, that's what happens when you voice your opinion, no matter how moderately. I used to get on Facebook maybe once every six months to see how the family was. Now it seems as though alternate means of communication are in order. Man, are they mad at me.

JD
    Administrator
    9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we DO NOT allow the discussion of these topics. We discourage "caliber war" threads and strongly encourage you not to post a thread starting one. Regardless of your level of experience, caliber is a personal preference and what is right for you may not be right for others.
    Just a reminder....

My apologies. Cut this if you want. I guess I am a little taken aback by the VERY nasty fiction that I have read about myself.

I try not to get involved with political discussions. It's not that I ain't political, I just dislike conflict. I'm the dude who just wants to be friends with everybody.

Kind of like when people ask me what I think about Obama. I say "I don't care who wins, I was just told Obama had change for a twenty."
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

I surely didn't mean to, and evacuated immediately. Enough. This was a pointless thread.

I don't see what the big deal is with the locking down of some of these threads. Sure, I understand the rules, and rules must be enforced. But like today with the WWJC thread, it was shut down and really, there were no hostile words being spoken. Are we at a zero tolerance here on the forum, or has the new ownership put a lockdown status on any issue that people are interested in that may have some controversy?
    Chad Rogers likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Web forums are about selling ads so they avoid controversy . Sad part is only one side gets filter more than others just the way it no madder what the forum is based on
    TN_Mike likes this.

I certainly don't mind controversy as long as people don't resort to personal attacks, insults, and slander. Unfortunately, I've noticed some people on this forum will go to that level quickly, given the chance. I'm happy to discuss any topic as long as people want to be civil and quote facts and logic, rather than insults.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is with the locking down of some of these threads. Sure, I understand the rules, and rules must be enforced. But like today with the WWJC thread, it was shut down and really, there were no hostile words being spoken. Are we at a zero tolerance here on the forum, or has the new ownership put a lockdown status on any issue that people are interested in that may have some controversy?
    Not to state the obvious but....this thread isn't locked.

also just keep in mind that im typing with one hand...

As for zero tolerance...it varies from topic to topic. Politics that arent gun related? Thats been a no-go prior to the new owners taking over the reins. Religious content...it depends.

As for Smity's comment, no offense smitty but you dont know what you're talking about IF you are including this forum in your overview as the policies regarding prohibited topics in place here predate paid sponsorship and ads.

If you go back and read the above portion of quoted rules, they do state:

9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we DO NOT allow the discussion of these topics.

Again, Bumper put that text in there...

edited to add:As ive stated previously, the new owners are relatively hands off and the day to day stuff is still done by the same folks by the sames rules as before.

I gotta say, aside from DC having a lot of very knowledgeable people, a big reason I like this board so much is because its moderated so well. There is a forum related to open carry that I visited to get updates about WI laws, but there is little or no moderation. Although I agree with a fair amount of the political stuff being posted, it still gets annoying when I go to a gun forum and half the posts are political and full of bickering between members.

That being said, I will still be visiting Starbucks in direct response to the anti-2A boycott.
    rolyat63, JD, airslot and 1 others like this.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Administrator
    The problem with the WWJD thread was not with the posts that were allowed to stay posted. The problem was with the seven posts that were deleted (so early in that thread) and no longer visible to members. Unfortunately when any Christianity, Jesus, Bible, thread gets posted - even if not originally intended to be a religious discussion - it quickly becomes one with scriptural quotes and religious opinion and belief. The thread quickly becomes a thread that moderators constantly need to check and read through and delete comments that ARE forum rule violations. Then members that get deleted get upset. Disgruntled members then start scouring other forum posts and signature lines that have a religious mention or a scriptural quote and report those so that we "in fairness" have to delete those also...and so on and so forth.
    DefensiveCarry is not anti-religion -
    Then also our non-religious members and members who do not happen to share a belief in God begin posting in that thread as a sort of unspoken demand for equal time.
    So the thread was deleted as a preemptive strike to what ALWAYS leads to a huge moderation mess.
    Our forum moderators have been down the exact same road many times in the past.
    We learn from the past so that we don't have to constantly repeat it.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Just FYI - The no non firearms related politics rule has been posted on the forum rules page since our inception. In fact it was a forum rule BEFORE DefensiveCarry was DefensiveCarry. Back then and before the name change this was CombatCarry.com

In fact Bumper started the ConservativeStronghold so that members could have a place to discuss all political issues there in order to keep it off of here.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

So you have an opinion? Whats the big deal. I cannot understand why some people who trash or hate on others just becoz their opinion differs from a liberal or conservative point of view. Well all have opinions, heck! We are all only human. Multi, don't take it personally...those haters are prolly just some young people who have let their emotions and anger cloud their good sense of judgment and ability for reasonable discourse and debate. Liberal/Conservative, Repub/dem, we are all Americans...thats something we should all remember, cause when SHTF...who is gonna be the ones backing us up?? Fellow Americans! regardless of sex, culture, creed, and political ideology. As far as marriage goes...call me a libertarian...cuz why would anyone wanna go thru that tortuous hell of marriage is beyond me. Freedom! Freedom I say! lol
    Totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Well, in light of the upcoming boycott of Starbucks from the anti-gun crowd, I felt it was justifiable to post something on the Starbucks Facebook wall. So I did. I do not mean for this to become a political discussion about a subject that has absolutely no connection to this forum. Hate mail is kind of a new thing for me, though. Evidently, there is another heated topic going on with these guys. It concerns a type of marriage, and that's as far as I will go with it. After I posted my Attaboy to Starbuck's wall, I was asked if I support this other subject that seems to be going on. I simply replied "No." Oh man. That was unwise. At my age, a guy ought to know better. Have been accused of being a redneck Klan member who wants to can't wait to "off" somebody, most likely the folks who took the most offense to my lack of support for their cause. Other accusations abound, but obscenity rules prevent me from listing them here.

Funny thing. I thought that a conservative Republican such as myself was supposed to be the intolerant one (stereotypically), while those of a more, shall we say, "liberal" viewpoint, were much more tolerant. I guess not. Well, that's what happens when you voice your opinion, no matter how moderately. I used to get on Facebook maybe once every six months to see how the family was. Now it seems as though alternate means of communication are in order. Man, are they mad at me.
    Regardless of which public forum you post on, and whatever the theme, format or area of interest, you will find flamers and trolls in search of a game.
    TN_Mike likes this.

VIP Member
    From time to time it may be worth taking a look around. Notice anything different about DC from other sites? I sure do. It is us, the members, the moderators, the community. No cusing, no bad language, very few vulger references. I have always believed you can tell a lot about a person by the way they conduct themselves and articulate the point of view. Those who can do so without resorting to the former, personal attacks, and small behavior in general are gentlemen. That is one of the many things that makes DC special among other sites, in my opinion.
    thephanatik, RMS, rstanek and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links