All you KY CCDW license holders… how long did it take? - Page 2

All you KY CCDW license holders… how long did it take?

This is a discussion on All you KY CCDW license holders… how long did it take? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; JB917, when did you take the course?...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: All you KY CCDW license holders… how long did it take?

JB917, when did you take the course?

Quote Originally Posted by bgglock View Post
    I took my class way back in 1996 when the CCDW became lawful here in KY. I took the class in mid October and had my license back from the KSP by the first of December. However things were much different for my son when he took the class last year. He took the training/class in early March. He didn't get his CCDW license until July 3rd! Well at least he got to celebrate our nation's birthday by exercising his 2nd amendment rights in our Independence Day travels.
    Wow, allowing a month for the cert being returned (same time mine took) they must have used the full 90 days for your son. Good thing we are not forced to wait 90 days before exercising our 1st Amendment rights! ...Yet !!!

I'm at 7 weeks and holding (not counting the month I waited for the training cert)

Those of you from Kentucky… how long did it take to get your license… I've heard anything from 3 weeks to 4 months. Personal story's?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpentRound View Post
    Ugh, don't even get me started about how long things take. Took the class on 11/19/2011. Instructor told us he'd submit the paperwork on 11/21. It took until 12/17 to get the training cert. I turned in my application, training cert., check and had the Sherif's Office make their own photo on 12/20. As of this moment, 2/7/2012, I am still waiting and have not even seen any activity in my checking account. Meanwhile, in other KY counties, I have seen some reports from people who claimed to finish the entire process in the time it took me to just get the training certificate. I have not even had a traffic ticket in more than 30 years so there can't be much research to do.

The funny thing is, I wouldn't care about the wait if I could at least know it wasn't lost. They need some sort of tracking capability like the way you can track your tax refund with the IRS. It also makes me wonder how much money they have sitting around in application fees that could be earning interest for the state. When checks go uncashed for months, they are throwing away free money.

Just to follow up, my notice to pick up came at exactly the 8.5 week mark. Interestingly enough, there is a small blurb on the notice that instructs me to wait until Feb 26, before going to the Sheriff's office, which happens to be 10 days from the date they issued the notice to pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by drbald1 View Post
    JB917, when did you take the course?
    Took the course on 10-22-11 and picked my license up on 12-28-11
    NRA member
    Gen 3 Glock 27
    Gen 4 Glock 23
    Ruger sp101 .357
    Colt 1911

Well, that gives me some hope...it's not too terribly long. Have I mentioned that waiting is my favorite thing to do?

Took just over a month to get the certificate for the course -- then submitted the application -- two months and still waiting for the state to take action. The County Sheriff's office raised the check (yes that's illegal, but I have the check that they raised and the bank processed for the raised amount) and deposited it immediately, the state still hasn't deposited their check so apparently they haven't bothered starting processing the application. Gotta wait the full 90 days allowed by law before we can even ask what's going on.

I Have been waiting a while....

Quote Originally Posted by logan.hanes View Post
    So my wife and I took our CCDW Class on Sunday 2-5-12, the instructor said he was going to mail all of the stuff off today 2-6-12. Those of you from Kentucky… how long did it take to get your license… I've heard anything from 3 weeks to 4 months. Personal story's?
    I sent application and photo along with check to state police for background check on 10/02/12. The check cleared the bank on 11/02/12. It' now 12/28/12 and havent heard a word yet. They say you will get a notice in the mail that it's ready to pick up at the sherriffs office.

88 days since submission and still waiting. They said it could take up to 90 days when I first sent it in. I called the sherriffs office last week and they said they were slammed with applications and were running 5-6 weeks behind. Sigh.

I sent mine in on august 28th and got it back on November the 7th. So almost the entire 3 months and I can't imagine how long it's taking now with the increase.

over 5 years ago I got mine. It was about a month from the day i took the course to the day i got the permit in hand at the Sherrifs office. Back then you had to bring your own photo at least in my county.
    A note of caution. Its good for five years and they will send you the reup papers way ahead of time. Unless you want your cc permit to lapse dont put off sending in those papers and paying the fee. It takes longer for those to process than the originals. Dont ask me how I know

My wife and I took the class Dec 9. Our instructor said EKU process the certificates ( at least for Lexington, not sure if that applies to other areas in KY. We were told up to six weeks to receive the certificate, then up to 90 days more after delivering all to the sherrif. Apparently the folks there are VERY particular about the photo and drivers license and/ or passport photos are declined at times. The suggestion was to see if the sherrifs office could take the photo right there for a nominal fee so that's our backup plan if the photos we provide are not adequate. So I'm hoping we'll have our permits by June ....

All you KY CCDW license holders… how long did it take?

They weren't picky about my photo. I used one that my dad kept in his wallet of myself graduating high school....4 years ago. Granted I still look the same.

It isn't technically EKU it is DOCJT that processes certificates and the like (happens to be located on campus). If it were all EKU I'm sure students like myself within the justice studies program may have been provided an option to take the course here.

If you took your course on dec. 9 you will more than likely have your permit by April at the latest. From taking my class to picking up permit it took 4 months. However it is one little old lady processing everything CCDW related. Keep us posted on any updates, and congrats on making the decision to protect yourself and those you love.

Exactly 88 days after submitting my app. at the local Sheriff's office.

Took the class Nov-18. Turned in my paperwork to the state on Dec-21. I had the Sheriff's office take the photo for me. $5 extra, but I know the KSP will accept it.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I took the class on 2/28/12. Got my license on 5/5/12.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Took the class Dec 9 and received the certificates back a few days ago for myself and my wife. So bit over 3 weeks on the front end, not bad considering the holidays. Though they spelled her first name wrong so hoping all will go through for her, she had an e mail acknowledging the error which the clerk attatched to the applications.

Clerk at the Fayette County Sherrif said up to 90 business days to get the application processed by the state police. Apparently the state police are processing near 5,000 applications per WEEK right now.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links