Defensive Carry banner

Anyone open carry in Milwaukee?

6K views 47 replies 26 participants last post by  sid1 
#1 ·
I live in Milwaukee. I have my CCW and sometimes CC, but have never OCed. I feel like people would freak everywhere.

Anyone here ever do it in MKE?

#3 ·
well that's obviously my thinking--just seeing if anyone does and what the reaction is.

I saw someone open carrying in Tosa a few weeks ago, but since it was for the Walker rally, there wasn't any eye rolling. (except from the occupiers surrounding it)

#4 ·
Thats why I got my pemit. Milwaukee is not a good choice to OC unless you are trying to make a point. The guy in West Allis made that point a couple years ago. I believe he got over $30,000 from West Allis once it was done. Don't know if he ever got his gun back.

Agreed with GoPackman. Wisconsin people overall are not going to handle it well. The conceal thing is going great! An now you can get your permit very fast. Matter of a couple weeks. Just go with the conceal. If I lived in in Alaska I would open carry my 44 mag or maybe even rural northern WI. We have plenty of bear up there in the woods.

#9 ·
I think you guys are looking for the words "unenlightened to gun rights." I happen to be very liberal and I love seeing people open carrying. And I know plenty of right wingers who would flip if they saw a gun anywhere near them. If you are going to talk know what you are saying. :image035:

#10 ·
@SandWMandP, I agree, I know some liberals here in the Land of 10,000 Lakes, that carry right along with the rest of the people. On the other hand I have seen die hard conservatives cringe at the sight of someone open carrying.

I will say this in defense of the OP, Milwaukee PD and Madison PD are way out of control, and have violated the rights of many because of an exposed firearm.

@OP, CC, and keep it there in Madtown and Milwaukee, a lot less hassle.

#11 ·
#12 ·
@mel: I'm sure they are bad, I have heard some bad stories out of NH and ME and they are supposed to be super gun friendly. I just hate these automatic labels that get thrown around. Most of the time the problem with the police is a complete lack of training and knowledge of the gun laws in that state.

#15 ·
In regards to the quote from Chief Flynn, "WOW! This guy is a nut job! Maybe somebody should give him a physc evaluation and see if HE should be allowed to carry a gun!

What was just as disturbing are several of the comments in the comment section from the link to the article. I guess there really are a lot of Anti's in the Badger State. Hopefully the responsible gun owners there can eventually show these people that we're the good guys.

#21 ·
well, everyone has to vote for walker in the recall...falk and the dems said the number 2 thing they would do is work to remove CC

Reactions: jrclen
#18 ·
I would agree that you have to be extra cautious of the "anti-gun" nuts in Milwaukee & Madison. The rest of the state is very different, especially the further you go north.

While I support the right to, I personally have not been compelled to OC except on a few occasion to support businesses or legislation. I am a fan of turning an attackers surprise against them being suddenly faced with an equipped and prepared citizen.

Reactions: Armey
#19 ·
The Chief of police and Mayor have made it clear they will take you down on site.
DA has give his blessing to them Madison and Milwaukee make their own laws in Wisconsin.

#20 ·
I'm going to college in Milwaukee. Before CC was passed, I open carried on my property all the time (I live northwest of Marquette, its not a great area). There was so many schools around you literally couldn't walk anywhere. Last fall there was a fugitive hiding behind our cars on our property. Marquette public safety drove past so we flagged them down and they detained him and the police came and arrested him. Nothing was said about my gun, but one of the Marquette public safety officers was very enthusiastic about the coming concealed carry bill and castle doctrine.

#22 ·
awesome story. yeah it's a bad area around there. I'm a block east of Buca's, or Metro Market...if you know where that is.

#26 ·
Maybe somewhat off topic, but I had never heard of this fellow in West Allis getting collared for open carry. When I read the link on this, I was shocked to see that he was arrested for open carry in his own backyard! How commie is that?
I mean, Oklahoma doesn't yet allow open carry but on your own property? I guarantee I can open carry in my own backyard and no one is going to say a thing (and I do live in town).

#38 ·
It's amazing to talk with people here in Wisconsin and that they are totally unaware that by law it is legal to OC. And they think it was just passed along with CCW. They had no clue it's been on the books for a couple of years now.
I myself havent OC is wisconsin due to the unwanted attention I would recieve, But I would commend anyone that does.

#43 ·
It's amazing to talk with people here in Wisconsin and that they are totally unaware that by law it is legal to OC. And they think it was just passed along with CCW. They had no clue it's been on the books for a couple of years now.
Actually the right to open carry has always been legal in Wisconsin. Since the state was a territory. But the right was illegally denied to us until just recently.

#42 ·
I have read on other forums about a person that actively OC in milwaukee and has done so for a while. But I heard she was arrested on some trumped up loitering charge and resisting an officer. I believe she even had permission from the property owner. So she has been in and out of court fighting these charges, because it's pretty clear Milwaukee authorities will make it hard on you to OC.

#45 ·
I lived downtown right by the Lake front brewery, off commerce st. And i currently live in west allis, the neighbor behind me is a Fed agent and my neighbors know me. I have been knowm to OC on my property, yes even downtown. I even had a west allis cop stop once when i was in the back yard (leads to an alley) and just say hi, wanted to know if i minded him running my ID through the data base just to make sure i wasnt a felon. I gave him my id, we sat in the alley and talked for 20mins or so. It went well, i was respectful and so was he. And no nobody called him, he was just doing his daily drive throughs. So yes i have OC'd but not "around town". Plus my neighbors know im military (have seen me in uniform, and my security uniform no an armed guard tho).

So I think west allis learned their lesson a while back, i think it involved a tree? Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.