Is it legal to open carry in Colorado?

This is a discussion on Is it legal to open carry in Colorado? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was watching "American Guns" last night and I saw the daughter which looks pretty young, atleast below 21. As she pulled up to the ...

I was watching "American Guns" last night and I saw the daughter which looks pretty young, atleast below 21. As she pulled up to the shop she had a 1911 colt commader in plain sight getting out of a jeep. I know you have to be 21 to own/buy a handgun. But even so, is it legal to open carry in colorado?

Try this site: Handgunlaw.us It is one of the best for finding answers to various state gun laws. Also look up the individual state's attorney general's site.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Yes it most certainly is legal.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Yes open carry is legal except in Denver.

Just got here but, yes my understanding is also it is legal everywhere but Denver; PLUS in order for any state, county, city government building to prohibit carry they must have metal detectors and check EVERY person entering and must provide secure storage for handguns. Also FEDERAL law says 18 is the age at which handgun possession is legal, state laws may vary, in absence of a state limit making the age higher federal law controls. As I am just a little over 21 I haven't looked into a Colorado age limit on handgun possesion.

See above.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

shows what I know, I thought federal law was 21.

If she's under 18-21, OC is her only option in CO, again with the Denver exception.

You have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from an FFL, 18 to purchase in a private sale.

OC is great in CO, not legal in Denver. Taking chances in Boulder, (It may be legal, but I was advised by a LEO friend to keep it concealed in Boulder so as not to rile up the natives.)
    I've noticed that there is a lot of anti concealed weapons bumper stickers around Glenwood - Aspen areas too. Terrified of "Hidden Guns" out in those parts. (Mine is ALWAYS "Hidden" and nobody knows........)
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtip View Post
    If she's under 18-21, OC is her only option in CO, again with the Denver exception.

You have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from an FFL, 18 to purchase in a private sale.
    Winner winner... this is just like Michigan and most states... Private sale is 18...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Links