Our Starbucks expereince on the 14th....

This is a discussion on Our Starbucks expereince on the 14th.... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So knowing about the supposed boycott by the anti-gun idiots that was to be directed against Starbucks on the 14th, my wife and daughter and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Our Starbucks expereince on the 14th....

So knowing about the supposed boycott by the anti-gun idiots that was to be directed against Starbucks on the 14th, my wife and daughter and I made it a point to go and spend our money there. We first went to the bank where I got $40 in $2 bills. ($2 dollar bill = 2nd Amendment )

We went in, I was openly carrying my two toned full sized XD .40, my wife was concealed carrying her XD .40 sub compact.

When we walked in there was only one other patron in the store. He was drinking coffee and working on a laptop. We walked up to the counter and while we were looking at the menu board I asked the guy behind the counter if they had experienced any drop off from normal business because of the boycott. He asked me what I was talking about and I explained to him about the anti-gun groups calling for a boycott and that many of us pro-gun/pro-carry folks were planning on offsetting it and spending our money there. He said that was great and then said that the business was about normal but a little strange. (my wife noticed that comment, it slipped past me)

We ordered and when it came time to pay I pulled out 5 of the $2 bills to pay with. The managers eyes widened and he said "OOOH! I get it now!" I asked what he was talking about and when he took my money he showed me a large stack of $2 bills in the register. He said he couldn't remember ever seeing anyone pay with one before today but there had been several people come in and buy coffee and other items and pay with $2 bills. He asked me what the significance was and I explained the tie to the 2nd Amendment. He told me that he was not a gun person but he has no problem with us and then one of the other guys behind the counter told us he also has a carry permit and he is happy about Starbucks policy toward gun owners and those who carry.

We sat and drank our coffee and saw 2 other people who were openly carrying come in and buy coffee. It was a positive experience all around.

It looks like in that store, the impact was made.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I like the 2 dollar bill part of the story. That's great.

VIP Member
    My Bride and I voted with $20 at our SB, too. I got a good buzz out of it. I always carry discretely.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I didn't go there on the 14th because I can't stand their coffee but I open carry every day and I have yet to get negative feedback, I know it will come some day but for now I am taking the compliments! I have noticed that if you are well dressed and clean shaven you get a lot less stares than when you roll out of bed, have stubble, and look like a slob.
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

VIP Member
    Just went in with my daughter and got a couple drinks and a gift card for my wife. Sorry I was did not have my weapon at the time. I had to go to the high school and with my daughter. We can't carry on schools and I did not want to keep it in the car. Was kinda busy in there.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Glad to hear that the experience was a good one!
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

I open carried my Glock 19. The place was crowded as usual, and there were some University and city cops there, but nobody seemed to notice or care. Either the cops were that oblivious, or they know and respect the law (my money is on oblivious). I do dress in dark clothes, so maybe it blended in well enough that nobody could pick it out without really looking....I don't know. haha.

Overall, good experience.
    fireball124 likes this.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Mike glad to see it worked at the SB you patronized.

I don't have one with in a 100 miles Literally think its 111 to be exact but I made sure to tell my sister so she went cause there is one near her and she paid with $2 bills. She said it was pretty empty at her Starbucks. Next time I'm in a town with one I'll stop in and pay with $2 cause I missed the boat and now I think they know what the $2 means and will get an idea just how many customers they have that carry.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    I open carried my Glock 19. The place was crowded as usual, and there were some University and city cops there, but nobody seemed to notice or care. Either the cops were that oblivious, or they know and respect the law (my money is on oblivious). I do dress in dark clothes, so maybe it blended in well enough that nobody could pick it out without really looking....I don't know. haha.

Overall, good experience.
    Want to take bets on the oblivious part?

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Good post, Cowboy Colby you aren't missing much, I have never been a fan of SB coffee. I like the $2 bill part, I think I will go to the bank and get some and use them as conversation starters.

I will have to try one I hear all the hype but I like black coffee with just a pinch of sugar. Its a quarter a cup at the local store.

I usually just make my own and use Folgers Dark or medium roast depending on my mood.

The whole iced coffee, frapachino, mocca stuff I know nothing about and have no desire to try.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    Mike glad to see it worked at the SB you patronized.

I don't have one with in a 100 miles Literally think its 111 to be exact but I made sure to tell my sister so she went cause there is one near her and she paid with $2 bills. She said it was pretty empty at her Starbucks. Next time I'm in a town with one I'll stop in and pay with $2 cause I missed the boat and now I think they know what the $2 means and will get an idea just how many customers they have that carry.
    According to the @hole spokesman for the group heading up the boycott it was not just the 14th, they plan to keep it up [Paraphrase]'Till they have an effect on the stock price through drop in sales and the shareholders force a change[/Paraphrase] so anytime you can get by will work.

Thanks F-350 Good to hear. Since I don't have one near me but will be around one sometime in the next few months I might just have to go and make up for missed time also. Maybe a $500 gift card for my sister. I think she is addicted.

I noticed they pick on a little specialty co like starbucks (little meaning the size of the outlets) I am waiting to see them banned wal-mart for the same reason. it easy to banned something you don't need but let’s see them put the squeeze on one they do need
    Max Well and tundra like this.

We have three SBs within 1 mile of each other near here. One is in a mall, where carry is legal, one is in a Barnes & Noble across from the mall, also where carry is legal, and one is in a very small shopping center/strip mall with about half a dozen businesses on the edge of a college campus, also where carry is legal.

As I posted on the 14th on another thread about SB, I stopped at my bank, got some $2 bills (3 was all the cashiers had in their registers at the time) and went to the SB by the college. It was one o'clock in the afternoon and the parking lot was jammed. Had to wait for someone to pull out before I could even park--and there were several cars in line behind me. SBs was packed as well, had to stand in line behind half a dozen people to order and all the seats were full. So I don't think the "boycott" had any impact at all!

As I said in the other post, I conceal carry (never seen anyone open carry in urban areas of Ohio even though it is legal.) I looked around and there were a couple of other individuals who "might" have been carrying, but most looked like college age types who were on their way to or from classes and it is illegal to carry on campus in Ohio. Anyway, I paid with $2 bills. I'm pretty sure the guy running the register and taking the money and orders was the manager, because he was a bit older and dressed differently than the other workers. He didn't say anything, but when I gave him the $2 bills he looked at them, gave a big smile, and thanked me. I'm pretty sure he knew what was going on and the significance of the $2 bills.

I'd say that at least around here, the boycott was a total flop and if anything, SBs business increased!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links