Grand Rapids, MI man open carries to polls

This is a discussion on Grand Rapids, MI man open carries to polls within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MotorCityGun If it hasn't been done already, maybe someone needs to start another polling thread asking whether or not they would OC ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Grand Rapids, MI man open carries to polls

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    If it hasn't been done already, maybe someone needs to start another polling thread asking whether or not they would OC in a designated "gun free zone", assuming it's legal to do so. Of course, demo/geographics may skew the results a bit, but it would still be of interest, IMO.
    Why not just start a poll asking whether or not one would engage in lawful carry. That is all that happened in Grand Rapids yesterday.
    suntzu likes this.

2. Remove Ads

The man IMO was attention seeking which I despise for any reason. But you can't outlaw stupid. If he was legal then there is no issue and I don't really care. Grandstanding does not win over anti's though. I am just amazed at how folks try to "exercise" their 2A rights knowing it will cause a ruckus. Did he do anything extraodinary to let folks know he was "exercising" his right to vote? Or does he yell profanities at passing people to "exercise" his 1st A right. Of course not. This only happens with 2A issues to generate a shock value. I can OC about anywhere I want. I don't because there is not a need. Only going into the woods/mountains and walking my dog I OC with a .44 mag for critter protection.
    But it was legal so I don't care nor should anti's and those that support him. It should have been a non event.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I agree with you and "msgt/ret", but even if it is legal, why not carry it concealed. Anyone with enough brains to fill a thimble knows that if you OC in a school, it is going to cause an issue.
    I AM NOT AGAINST OC, even though we don't have it here in Fl. but sometimes I think these OC'ers do this for attention and to try to prove a point.
    Looks like he got the attention he was seeking.
    Just my 2 cent opinion.

^^^^THe thing is^^^^^^^^^^^

The way they have the law written, for whatever reason, If you have a CPL{concealed pistol license} you can open carry,,READ HERE;

AG opinion No. 7097 FIREARMS LAWS OF MICHIGAN January 11, 2002: This conclusion is not affected by the provisions of section 234d of the Michigan Penal Code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.1 et seq. That statute prohibits certain persons from possessing firearms on certain types of premises as follows: Sec. 234d (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
    b) A church or other house of religious worship.
    c) A court.
    d) A theatre.
    e) A sports arena.
    f) A day care center.
    g) A hospital.
    h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act.
    (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
    a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession
    of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
    b) A peace officer.
    c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
    d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity. [Emphasis added.]

By its express terms, section 234d prohibits certain persons from carrying a firearm in the enumerated places but explicitly exempts from its prohibition [a] person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon. Thus, any person licensed to carry a concealed pistol, is exempt from the gun-free zone restrictions imposed by section 234d of the Penal Code and may therefore possess firearms while on the types of premises listed in that statute.

MSP opinion: Your analysis is correct. Non-CPL pistol free zones do not apply to CPL holders. The CPL pistol free zones only apply to CPL holders carrying a concealed pistol. Therefore, a CPL holder may openly carry a pistol in Michigan's pistol free zones. Sincerely, Sgt. Thomas Deasy, Michigan State Police Executive Resource Section, 714 S. Harrison Rd. East Lansing, MI 48823 (517) 336-6441
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I don't see a problem with what he did. If he was allowed to legally carry where he did, then good for him. I carried openly the last time I voted, as well. I also open carry to drop off and pick up my kids from the bus stop, or when I drop them off directly in front of their school.
    carracer likes this.

VIP Member
    I agree with you and "msgt/ret", but even if it is legal, why not carry it concealed. Anyone with enough brains to fill a thimble knows that if you OC in a school, it is going to cause an issue.
    I AM NOT AGAINST OC, even though we don't have it here in Fl. but sometimes I think these OC'ers do this for attention and to try to prove a point.
    Just my 2 cent opinion.
    Article doesn't say, but perhaps he doesn't have a conceal carry permit.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

He was legally carrying, oh the shame. I bet he legally drove there too, and maybe even legally votes.

Big deal, good for him. Why pick and choose where you legally carry? I wish more gun owners would man up and quit being a step stool to the antis.

Sent using Tapatalk on Android

So you have a right to open carry but you should never do so, because it looks bad.
    Confusing you either have a right or you do not witch is it.

I'm getting ready to leave for work and want to know which lawful activities I should not engage in while I'm out. I would hate to offend anyone.

Someone does something legal, get confronted by LE (who seem to be wrong here); and the lawful carrier is in the wrong? It's a fascinating form of reasoning. If folks listen to other so much, and put so much weight in what they think; why are you carrying at all? Everyone says you'll never need it anyway.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Just my 2 cent opinion.
    Because in MI schools are pistol free zones. However, those that have concealed pistol licensees can open carry on/in school property unless it is posted at the entrance "no guns."

So one with a MI CPL would be breaking the law to conceal carry on/in school grounds. But we are allowed to open carry on/in school grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kovernm View Post
    Unless the polling place would then trump the law it would be illegal to conceal carry in a school. Open carry is legal even though schools and some police agencies try not to accept it.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk
    Open carry in a school in MI is only legal if the person carrying has a CPL.

There are three particular times I feel are the most important to carry and I carry open on those days.

1. July 4th

2. Election Days

3. 9/11

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I wish we could carry open or concealed at a school, In texas it's not leagal and I'm taking two classes a week and hate ot have to lock the gun up, He was excersing his right, and more power to him....
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    Whether this is "legal" or not in MI, it's just plain stupid.

Man confronted after carrying gun to polling place
    WOW! Seriously? Whats stupid about it? Are you under the impression that your 2A rights don't apply when voting. We OC to vote all the time here in VA. Have you've never heard "I'm the NRA, and I vote!" Unless your polling place is a no carry zone (like that idiot), what wrong with it? We also put the "I voted" sticker we get on our holster! Whats stupid is people NOT carrying where they legally can, so they don't hurt peoples feelings. I could care less if people don't like it.

Remember "A right unexercised, is a right lost!"
    Freedom Doc likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Guys, I'm not arguing that he was illegal, I was the first one to copy and paste the Mi. law into my post #3.
    It appears he WAS LEGAL and well within his rights to carry. Carry it to a polling place, no problem.
    I'm simply saying that in the current climate we have in our country, with a school shooting every few weeks, that if you openly carry a weapon into a school, you can expect to be questioned/detained.
    If you think it will not be noticed, you are kidding yourself.
    If you carry into a school, even legally, don't act surprised when you are questioned about it.
    I still think he went looking for attention...and he got it. No surprise there.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links