Grand Rapids, MI man open carries to polls - Page 3

Grand Rapids, MI man open carries to polls

This is a discussion on Grand Rapids, MI man open carries to polls within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some gun owners are tired of sitting in the back of the bus....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 78
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Grand Rapids, MI man open carries to polls

  1. #31
    sgb
    sgb is offline
    VIP Member Array sgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    2,414
    Some gun owners are tired of sitting in the back of the bus.
    jrclen and Spec like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition


  2. #32
    VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    2,558
    People who drive Corvette's, are they looking for attention? Should they be stopped for no reason other than the fact that they are driving a Corvette?

    I disagree that people who open carry are looking for attention, (yes, some are). Putting everyone who open carries into a bucket however is just wrong, and I don't agree with that at all.

    Not doing it because you don't want to offend anyone just makes you part of the problem. If you don't do it because you simply prefer concealed carry, fine - but don't knock anyone for open carrying just because it's not your personal choice to do so.

  3. #33
    Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    MichiGUN
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Guys, I'm not arguing that he was illegal, I was the first one to copy and paste the Mi. law into my post #3.
    It appears he WAS LEGAL and well within his rights to carry. Carry it to a polling place, no problem.
    I'm simply saying that in the current climate we have in our country, with a school shooting every few weeks, that if you openly carry a weapon into a school, you can expect to be questioned/detained.
    If you think it will not be noticed, you are kidding yourself.
    If you carry into a school, even legally, don't act surprised when you are questioned about it.
    I still think he went looking for attention...and he got it. No surprise there.
    +1

    For all of you staunch OC-philes who open carry wherever and whenever it's legal, doesn't common sense ever factor into your decision to OC? Beat me up if you'd like, but for me here in MI, I can only think of a couple of scenarios where I would open carry, and a school ain't one of them.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

    NRA Life

  4. #34
    Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    MichiGUN
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    WOW! Seriously? Whats stupid about it? Are you under the impression that your 2A rights don't apply when voting. We OC to vote all the time here in VA. Have you've never heard "I'm the NRA, and I vote!" Unless your polling place is a no carry zone (like that idiot), what wrong with it? We also put the "I voted" sticker we get on our holster! Whats stupid is people NOT carrying where they legally can, so they don't hurt peoples feelings. I could care less if people don't like it.

    Remember "A right unexercised, is a right lost!"
    2A rights notwithstanding, what you might do in VA (i.e. OC to polls located in a school), we here in MI (yes, I'm speaking for the entire state) do not OC in polling places as a common practice. It has nothing to do with other people's feelings, well, maybe it does a little. And since it is not a common practice, then when it does occur, it's/you're going to stand out from the rest of the voters and volunteers. Why make a scene if it's not necessary? Unless I've got to walk past a couple of Black Panthers who are armed with clubs in order to vote, I'm locking mine in the car safe.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

    NRA Life

  5. #35
    Member Array carracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nampa, Id.
    Posts
    405
    Absolutely common sense. It's a good thing shootings never happen in schools or voting polls. And while you are at it, use that common sense not to carry at church or restaurants either. The nerve of us oc guys.

  6. #36
    sgb
    sgb is offline
    VIP Member Array sgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    2,414
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    +1

    For all of you staunch OC-philes who open carry wherever and whenever it's legal, doesn't common sense ever factor into your decision to OC? Beat me up if you'd like, but for me here in MI, I can only think of a couple of scenarios where I would open carry, and a school ain't one of them.
    The so called "Common Sense" argument is what people throw out when they think everyone else should believe and act only as they do. It's a weak near emotional argument.
    tbrenke likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

  7. #37
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,703
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    The so called "Common Sense" argument is what people throw out when they think everyone else should believe and act only as they do. It's a weak near emotional argument.
    Common sense.....LOL This guy forgot his. The public perception is what is going to bite us all in the ass
    Stubborn likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

    Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

  8. #38
    Member Array carracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nampa, Id.
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Common sense.....LOL This guy forgot his. The public perception is what is going to bite us all in the ass
    Hmmm... I suppose you are right. I would ask YOU to be the first to turn in your 2nd Amendment rights and firearms as we all know where "Public Perception" is headed. The mere fact that you own a firearm of any kind is offensive to many people and the perception is that you are a threat to civilization and the continuation of mankind. How many of your friends are actually cowering in horror and fear at the thought that you may suddenly pull your legally owned and presumably safe firearm out and start shooting randomly. "Public Perception" You can't CONCEAL from it.
    Last edited by carracer; March 5th, 2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling!

  9. #39
    Member Array sd976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterborne View Post
    According to your profile info, you live in MI so you should know that CC in a school is illegal. The only lawful way to carry in a polling station inside a school is OC with a CPL. GRPD and the school administrators are in the wrong on this one.
    An "exempt" CPL also makes CC legal on school premises.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    MichiGUN
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Common sense.....LOL This guy forgot his. The public perception is what is going to bite us all in the ass
    Forget about it HB. Unless they, the OC-ers like the ones who've responded, are willing to explain/confess WHY they feel the personal NEED to OC and draw attention to themselves, "common sense" will be uncommon. "Near emotional"?...give me a break.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

    NRA Life

  11. #41
    Member Array carracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nampa, Id.
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    Forget about it HB. Unless they, the OC-ers like the ones who've responded, are willing to explain/confess WHY they feel the personal NEED to OC and draw attention to themselves, "common sense" will be uncommon. "Near emotional"?...give me a break.
    You mean us REAL open carriers? The ones that actually have a pair? The ones that don't just talk a story but actually live a full life? The ones that put up and don't shut up? The ones that actually do something to learn the laws and regulations regarding carry? The ones that actually make an effort to make a difference? The ones that don't feel like they have to hide so the poor little sheep don't see the big bad gun?

    Let me guess... you are a cc'er? And yet you post here in the oc section. Then when you can't beat us down the way you want to because we know more about laws, rights and "COMMON SENSE" than you... well, we just need to explain ourselves to you! "give me a break."

  12. #42
    sgb
    sgb is offline
    VIP Member Array sgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    2,414
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    Forget about it HB. Unless they, the OC-ers like the ones who've responded, are willing to explain/confess WHY they feel the personal NEED to OC and draw attention to themselves, "common sense" will be uncommon. "Near emotional"?...give me a break.
    You kinda sounds like junior wanting to take his ball and go home because he isn't winning ......... There are those who make a difference and those who ride their coat tails and complain while having the AUDACITY to use “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin as a sig line.
    Last edited by sgb; March 6th, 2012 at 05:01 AM.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

  13. #43
    Ex Member Array slave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    112
    is this a pro 2A board, or an anti? I am confused. Let's see if I have this right. A legal gun owner, followed the state laws, voted. He is wrong. He scared people.

    Does it matter if he OC'd to draw attention to himself? Does it matter that the polling station was in a school?

    Does it matter if some anti's became uncomfortable?

    Have people posting here forgot that violence can happen anywhere at any time?

    The nerve of this man, following the laws.

    I swear, the CC only people are no different than the anti's. You don't like OC, so what. Your incenstant hating is only dividing the cause of the 2A, and is fueling the anti's.

    Constitutional carry is just that, constitutional. It's open, concealed, no license, no permit, just keep and bear arms. Period.

    At least the OC guys have the stones and guts to walk the walk, and not just open their traps and fuel the anti's. You CC only people want to CC only to "keep your tactical advantage", then do so. The OC guys want to OC to be more comfortable, and draw faster but sacrifice thier "tactical advantage", then let them. People want to OC and broadcast that they are carrying, let them.

    It's not up to us to conceal to make the sheep more comfortable. As a biracial halfblack, half middle eastern jew, my mom's parents made people uncomfortable talking in the south. To others, criticising the president makes people upset. Free speech is protected by the first, race is protected by God. The second is protected by our constitution, just the same. All of these things have one thing in common, they are your right, even if it makes people uncomfortable.

    So stop fueling the anti's. This place reminds me more and more of a Brady Campaign rally every day.
    Freedom Doc likes this.

  14. #44
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,703
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Hmmm... I suppose you are right. I would ask YOU to be the first to turn in your 2nd Amendment rights and firearms as we all know where "Public Perception" is headed. The mere fact that you own a firearm of any kind is offensive to many people and the perception is that you are a threat to civilization and the continuation of mankind. How many of your friends are actually cowering in horror and fear at the thought that you may suddenly pull your legally owned and presumably safe firearm out and start shooting randomly. "Public Perception" You can't CONCEAL from it.
    California ring a bell. There is only so much you can shove down peoples throat before they start to complain to people that can and WILL take your rights away. There is a state senator that is looking into changing the law, this kind of display hurts all gun owners. You can argue all day about your rights, until they take it away from you, because some guy carried a gun into a school.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

    Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

  15. #45
    Member Array carracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nampa, Id.
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    California ring a bell. There is only so much you can shove down peoples throat before they start to complain to people that can and WILL take your rights away. There is a state senator that is looking into changing the law, this kind of display hurts all gun owners. You can argue all day about your rights, until they take it away from you, because some guy carried a gun into a school.....
    Are you saying that Michiganders are just like Californians? Cal. was done in by liberal legislatures not the general public. I believe if a public vote had been taken the results would have been different.

    Not everyone is scared of a properly holstered legally carried firearm being carried by a responsible legal person. It just seems that the majority of those that think it is scary are cc'ers.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can you open carry in a school in michigan

,
ccw at polling station nc
,
grand rapids mi guy open carrys in a school
,

grand rapids open carry

,

grand rapids, mi man takes gun to school

,
gun polling place michigan
,
is there ever any instance that a person can open carry in a school in michigan?
,

man carring gun in grand rapids voting polls

,
man open carrys in school
,
michigan open carry in schools
,

open carry in michigan schools

,
west michigan man right to carry at school
Click on a term to search for related topics.