Grand Rapids, MI man open carries to polls - Page 5

Grand Rapids, MI man open carries to polls

This is a discussion on Grand Rapids, MI man open carries to polls within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by suntzu You know what I mean. And it wasn't freedom to use a forum. It is we (and I) sometimes think the ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Grand Rapids, MI man open carries to polls

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    You know what I mean. And it wasn't freedom to use a forum. It is we (and I) sometimes think the action of gun owners (hunters, OC,CC..) give ammo to anit's in promoting their agenda. Sometimes we are the ones that make more of a fuss about it than the anti's. That is all. I need to catch a helo ride now.
    I gave you three winks so you get it this time
    About time you said what you really meant...LOL.... And you are correct in the ammo, given to the antis. I wasnt kidding about the state senator. He is looking into trying to change the law...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Hmmm.... apparently you just don't get it.

Go to Michigan? Nothing there for me. If I ever do, will let you know.
    Hmmm, yeah right, I don't get "it".

Thought so, stones made of marshmellow. Geez, you being such a uber-OCer, I thought you would want to OC someplace where you can really draw a lot of attention to yourself and actually prove your point.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Same invitation to Idaho to you! Of course, there are real 2a activists and carriers here so you would still be cc as you would cower in intimidation.

I do realize that travel for some (like myself) is not realistic so you are excused from that, but, point is made that you fear carry other than hiding there and I fear nothing here.

The other point of this is there are plenty of open carriers in Mich that do not have problems and open carry in those areas that you deem fearful. PM me and I'll get you in touch with some of them.

Point also is the fact your group of CC'er is typical of the "no one should carry but us 'cuz we have a permission slip." Any other type of carry is just "not common sense" to you. Personally, I couldn't care less what you think or how you carry. I am glad you made a decision to carry and respect the way you do it. Where I have a problem is your coming in here and telling us Open Carriers how your personal opinion is so much better than ours This is how you divide. This is how you are not promoting the 2a rights. This is how you fit in with the "Anti's". Stones? You apparently have your own fears as you hide your teeth where we don't.

As usually happens when the cc'ers come in here the thread has turned into a cluster.... I have fallen victim to the troll cc'ers once again and fully expect to be reprimanded by the mods.

I honestly feel like the CC'ers are nothing more than anti's in 2A clothing.

They use the same exact rhetoric.

I get a kick out of all this talk about giving the antis ammunition. As if kissing their butts is going to help us somehow. The very existence of guns in the hands of civilians, anywhere on the planet earth is all the ammunition the antis need to keep up their campaign of legislating them, and us, out of existence. Hiding is not going to quiet them down.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Same invitation to Idaho to you! Of course, there are real 2a activists and carriers here so you would still be cc as you would cower in intimidation.

I do realize that travel for some (like myself) is not realistic so you are excused from that, but, point is made that you fear carry other than hiding there and I fear nothing here.

The other point of this is there are plenty of open carriers in Mich that do not have problems and open carry in those areas that you deem fearful. PM me and I'll get you in touch with some of them.

Point also is the fact your group of CC'er is typical of the "no one should carry but us 'cuz we have a permission slip." Any other type of carry is just "not common sense" to you. Personally, I couldn't care less what you think or how you carry. I am glad you made a decision to carry and respect the way you do it. Where I have a problem is your coming in here and telling us Open Carriers how your personal opinion is so much better than ours This is how you divide. This is how you are not promoting the 2a rights. This is how you fit in with the "Anti's". Stones? You apparently have your own fears as you hide your teeth where we don't.

As usually happens when the cc'ers come in here the thread has turned into a cluster.... I have fallen victim to the troll cc'ers once again and fully expect to be reprimanded by the mods.
    Question for you. Do you think the individual in Grand Rapids used good judgement carrying a gun into a school? Common sense, forget that. This guy had poor judgement IMO..So that the OCers do not get into there same rhetoric about common sense being an anti term. From now on I think Ill use poor judgement.
    MotorCityGun likes this.

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Common sense, Poor Judgement... I guess just a different word. MY personal feelings are... no. If he had been concealed, what would your opinion be?

I respect that it is your opinion that he did use poor judgement. I understand your position on this, please correct me if I am wrong, the rescent school shootings, California law changes etc. Perhaps more, but, these are the ones that can think of right now.

My position is... it's legal, he was not causing a scene or disrupting, he was ok. Yes, it is unusual to see someone carrying in this location. What would make this the norm or at least acceptable. My thoughts are more responsible legal carry. In this case, open carry.

I don't believe you can make something acceptable by hiding it. There has to be support in numbers greater than those opposing, or at least the perception of that. For most of the 20th century concealed carry was illegal in most states. A movement was created that changed public perception and changed laws pertaining to it. And the movement continues. I don't know ANY open carriers that are opposed to it. CC has not become the norm in many areas, but it is acceptable for the most part.

There is a movement along side the cc movement that is gaining acceptance. The open carry movement. It is, of course, more accepted in the more conservative states like Az, Id, Montana and such. It didn't start out acceptable. It took open carriers some time to show that legal, responsible carry is not a threat to the public and defense with a firearm is a 2nd amendment right, not a privilege.

I feel that as time continues and more people carry, both cc and oc, it will become more acceptable even in the most liberal states. Tho, Cal. NY and the like will be really difficult to move.

The key is Legal Responsible Carry. Making ourselves known in a manner that, even tho some may be offended, shows we are not the scary, dangerous, stereo typical guy from the movies. If you conceal carry you should promote the 2a advancement regardless if it affects you directly or not.

If a company declares offlimits to carry you can always conceal and no one is the wiser. Does that make you feel like you are getting away with something so you don't care? Or does it make you feel like you want to change their opinion of carry and change their policy?

WE can make a difference, you and I. By letting others know we are not the bad guys. By speaking up when someone says guns are bad. By speaking up when legislation comes along.

I respect your right, preference and decision to conceal carry. I hope you will respect my right, preference and decision to open carry.

My position is... it's legal, he was not causing a scene or disrupting, he was ok.
    Since when is carrying into an elementary school legal? That's Federal law. It's not debatable. There is NO state that allows it. The fact you are voting doesn't change the fact your still in a School! I'm all for OCing. I OC'd yesterday when I voted. But I don't vote in a School!

IMAG0323.jpg

Your right that people need to speak up, and not just be blind sheep, but anybody that owns a gun while also being stupid enough to think they can walk into an elementary school with it, is more of a threat to our rights, than the Anti's themselves! I carry everywhere I can but we can't continue to use the excuse that WE follow the laws so there's no need to fear us, when morons like that are walking around.

Common sense, Poor Judgement... I guess just a different word. MY personal feelings are... no. If he had been concealed, what would your opinion be?

I respect that it is your opinion that he did use poor judgement. I understand your position on this, please correct me if I am wrong, the rescent school shootings, California law changes etc. Perhaps more, but, these are the ones that can think of right now.

My position is... it's legal, he was not causing a scene or disrupting, he was ok. Yes, it is unusual to see someone carrying in this location. What would make this the norm or at least acceptable. My thoughts are more responsible legal carry. In this case, open carry.

I don't believe you can make something acceptable by hiding it. There has to be support in numbers greater than those opposing, or at least the perception of that. For most of the 20th century concealed carry was illegal in most states. A movement was created that changed public perception and changed laws pertaining to it. And the movement continues. I don't know ANY open carriers that are opposed to it. CC has not become the norm in many areas, but it is acceptable for the most part.

There is a movement along side the cc movement that is gaining acceptance. The open carry movement. It is, of course, more accepted in the more conservative states like Az, Id, Montana and such. It didn't start out acceptable. It took open carriers some time to show that legal, responsible carry is not a threat to the public and defense with a firearm is a 2nd amendment right, not a privilege.

I feel that as time continues and more people carry, both cc and oc, it will become more acceptable even in the most liberal states. Tho, Cal. NY and the like will be really difficult to move.

The key is Legal Responsible Carry. Making ourselves known in a manner that, even tho some may be offended, shows we are not the scary, dangerous, stereo typical guy from the movies. If you conceal carry you should promote the 2a advancement regardless if it affects you directly or not.

If a company declares offlimits to carry you can always conceal and no one is the wiser. Does that make you feel like you are getting away with something so you don't care? Or does it make you feel like you want to change their opinion of carry and change their policy?

WE can make a difference, you and I. By letting others know we are not the bad guys. By speaking up when someone says guns are bad. By speaking up when legislation comes along.

I respect your right, preference and decision to conceal carry. I hope you will respect my right, preference and decision to open carry.
    If he would have had it concealed he would be breaking the law if he would have been caught, he would deserve what he gets. My argument against this has never been about concealing a weapon. My argument is about the poor judgement he used. Common sense is an anti term, like stated earlier in the thread. He was confronted by police and people did not want him there. Best play, would have been to leave the weapon in the car. Re-arm when your done voting. Problem solved.

Agree to disagree.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    If it is legal to do so, why is it a stupid idea?
    carracer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    Since when is carrying into an elementary school legal? That's Federal law. It's not debatable. There is NO state that allows it. The fact you are voting doesn't change the fact your still in a School! I'm all for OCing. I OC'd yesterday when I voted. But I don't vote in a School!

IMAG0323.jpg

Your right that people need to speak up, and not just be blind sheep, but anybody that owns a gun while also being stupid enough to think they can walk into an elementary school with it, is more of a threat to our rights, than the Anti's themselves! I carry everywhere I can but we can't continue to use the excuse that WE follow the laws so there's no need to fear us, when morons like that are walking around.
    Do a little research. Actually READ the statutes.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    After this incident during the 2008 elections carrying might be a good idea.

Black Panthers vs Fox News Reporter At Polling Place In Philadelphia (VIDEO)
    We will see a repeat of this in November I predict.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post

IMAG0323.jpg

You are more a threat to our rights than he is.

You should read, before you get on your supposed pro2A soap box. The federal law says anyone with a license to carry issued by that state is exempt from the federal school zone law. Individual states made a knee jerk law that adds to it. MI has a knee jerk law also, but it exempts people with a Concealed Pistol License.

So, it summary, break no laws, but THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! POOR JUDGEMENT!!! All of you, you need to turn in your pro 2A cards, since they are counterfeit.
    carracer likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    If it hasn't been done already, maybe someone needs to start another polling thread asking whether or not they would OC in a designated "gun free zone", assuming it's legal to do so. Of course, demo/geographics may skew the results a bit, but it would still be of interest, IMO.
    I've already seen one guy OC in a bar before. Nothing came of it and I really didn't notice his gun until he got up and his gun was now at eye level to me.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links