Grand Rapids, MI man open carries to polls

This is a discussion on Grand Rapids, MI man open carries to polls within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Whether this is "legal" or not in MI, it's just plain stupid. Man confronted after carrying gun to polling place...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Grand Rapids, MI man open carries to polls

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

Grand Rapids, MI man open carries to polls

Whether this is "legal" or not in MI, it's just plain stupid.

Man confronted after carrying gun to polling place
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Jeez another genius. Just antother "incident" for the anti gun crowd to use.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    It appears he was "legal" in doing so, but like the old saying goes "discretion is the better part of valor".

Direct quote of Michigan law:

Sec. 234d (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
    a) A Bank.
    b) A church.
    c) A court.
    d) A theatre.
    e) A sports arena.
    f) A day care center.
    g) A hospital.
    h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act (BAR).

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity. b) A peace officer. c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.2) If you don’t have a CPL, you must transport your handgun as prescribed by law.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Maybe it's time people started getting used to the fact that people are responsible for their own safety,and you never know when some crazy SOB may decide to start shooting up a polling place,say for instance that happened and the CLP holder stopped the threat without any innocents being injured,they would be kissing his ass for saving them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    After this incident during the 2008 elections carrying might be a good idea.

Black Panthers vs Fox News Reporter At Polling Place In Philadelphia (VIDEO)
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Maybe it's time people started getting used to the fact that people are responsible for their own safety,and you never know when some crazy SOB may decide to start shooting up a polling place,say for instance that happened and the CLP holder stopped the threat without any innocents being injured,they would be kissing his ass for saving them
    I agree with you and "msgt/ret", but even if it is legal, why not carry it concealed. Anyone with enough brains to fill a thimble knows that if you OC in a school, it is going to cause an issue.
    I AM NOT AGAINST OC, even though we don't have it here in Fl. but sometimes I think these OC'ers do this for attention and to try to prove a point.
    Looks like he got the attention he was seeking.
    Just my 2 cent opinion.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I would like to carry when I go vote but it is not leagel to carry on school property and my polling place in at a school. I disarm in the parking lot, lock it in a COM car safe go vote and re-arm.

Good for him, I hope more people exercise their rights. The stigma of a gun being bad needs changed, like other say; we have a right to be able to vote without fear of intimidation.

The Black Panther with a club in front of a polling place is a clear case of intimidation. Makes me wonder how many other places endure such intimidation that goes unreported
    jrclen, jag06, Longbow and 1 others like this.

Where there students there or was school closed?
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Unless the polling place would then trump the law it would be illegal to conceal carry in a school. Open carry is legal even though schools and some police agencies try not to accept it.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

He is stupid to exercise a right? A law abiding citizen carrying a gun, causing no problems, shooting no children, gives the antis an "incident" to use against us?
    Shaking my head and wondering about the antis right here in this thread. If the founders would have just kissed a little King George butt, all that unpleasantness of the revolutionary war could have been avoided.
    sgb and Longbow like this.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

The guy that did this in on a local forum and was on there almost immediately after the incident. He apparently has audio of the whole thing but was warned repeatedly not to post it because he was issued a ticket and is supposed to meet with prosecutors on Monday. IMO he went in looking for a situation like a lot of OC folks that purposely carry into controversial places do. He was obviously making a statement and not so much worried about his safety, if he was he could have went with CC. I do understand the argument about rights but this article is all most people will ever read. I'm sure he wont be charged but it won't really change the negative taste people have gotten from the article and the GRPD will still appear to have won. I guess I dont see the value and I think it hurts more than it helps. Just my opinion. There are far better ways to secure our rights and doing so has helped win most of the states over to "shall issue" states.

Quote Originally Posted by detroit9mm View Post
    The guy that did this in on a local forum and was on there almost immediately after the incident. He apparently has audio of the whole thing but was warned repeatedly not to post it because he was issued a ticket and is supposed to meet with prosecutors on Monday. IMO he went in looking for a situation like a lot of OC folks that purposely carry into controversial places do. He was obviously making a statement and not so much worried about his safety, if he was he could have went with CC. I do understand the argument about rights but this article is all most people will ever read. I'm sure he wont be charged but it won't really change the negative taste people have gotten from the article and the GRPD will still appear to have won. I guess I dont see the value and I think it hurts more than it helps. Just my opinion. There are far better ways to secure our rights and doing so has helped win most of the states over to "shall issue" states.
    According to your profile info, you live in MI so you should know that CC in a school is illegal. The only lawful way to carry in a polling station inside a school is OC with a CPL. GRPD and the school administrators are in the wrong on this one.
    Last edited by Waterborne; February 29th, 2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: typo
    Spec likes this.

VIP Member
    It says confronted not arrested. While appears to be legal in MI, I don't think it was in good judgement.

Not Legal here in WI> My voting place for the big turnouts is a school and for small turnouts the town hall. Both are no carry zones. I feel safe with no weapon there as it is a very small rural area and I keep my SA.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    If it hasn't been done already, maybe someone needs to start another polling thread asking whether or not they would OC in a designated "gun free zone", assuming it's legal to do so. Of course, demo/geographics may skew the results a bit, but it would still be of interest, IMO.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links