Oklahoma again considering allowing open carry

This is a discussion on Oklahoma again considering allowing open carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is the link: Oklahoma House Committee Approves Open Carry Bill - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | We ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Oklahoma again considering allowing open carry

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar

Oklahoma again considering allowing open carry

Here is the link:

Oklahoma House Committee Approves Open Carry Bill - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

We got (some version of this) passed but the previous (democrat) governor vetoed it. However the current Republican governor says she is all for responsible open carry. This bill allows those with a carry license to carry openly OR concealed.

I personally am not interested in open carrying myself (except under some specific conditions), but it is nice to have the choice. It would also be nice if others open carry a lot so that those that freak out at seeing open guns would realize how determined some of us are that we be able to defend ourselves.

Oklahoma is really pretty gun-friendly. If you don't believe this due to no open carry, you need to understand that our state is rather new, and when we were formed in 1907, that was a time when people were starting to think about gun control, and trying to get away from the "wild west" image. Still, the average Oklahoman over the years mostly was used to having guns around, and we really don't have that many liberal gun-grabbers here.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    We have had open carry for a long time. No permit needed. Our former Dem gov would not sign our conceal carry law. He said we did not need the conceal carry because we had open carry. Now we have a new gov, new conceal carry law and almost 80,000 new conceal carry permit holders.
    Oklahoma should allow open carry and you should not need the permit for open carry.
    maat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    We have had open carry for a long time. No permit needed. Our former Dem gov would not sign our conceal carry law. He said we did not need the conceal carry because we had open carry. Now we have a new gov, new conceal carry law and almost 80,000 new conceal carry permit holders.
    Oklahoma should allow open carry and you should not need the permit for open carry.
    I guess politically they are going for what they think they can actually get passed. You know these days there are a lot of concealed carry folks that are OPPOSED to open carry, as well as sheep. Too bad we didn't allow open carry (or constitutional carry) back in 1907 -- I think it would have been easier.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

VIP Member
    Yes constitutional carry! There are lots of people who need proper training... so that is another debate.

We'll see what happens this time. Last time it passed both the House and Senate with veto-proof majorities of 2/3. When it was vetoed by the governor, most people expected it to get pushed right through both sides, but it died in the house as some Representatives changed their votes.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Depends on how many of them are up for elections. Some politicians don't want to go on record with a vote either way on gun topics at election time. I hope they pass it for you! Looks like my WI permit is good in your state!

Well, yes, OK accepts ALL carry permits from any state. A fair number of other states do this -- I wish they ALL would!
    stancehold and JustInCase like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    Well, yes, OK accepts ALL carry permits from any state. A fair number of other states do this -- I wish they ALL would!
    Wouldn't that be nice!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Prior to having a license to carry I always carried in my vehicle which in Colorado is legal even with out a permit and can carry with it loaded. What I really disliked about living in Oklahoma and traveling in Oklahoma was not being able to have a firearm in my vehicle loaded.

Hope ya'll get it passed

One of my great great grandfathers, was shot in the back near Stillwell, Okla .... by the Pinkerton's. They were looking for Jesse James and thought he might know where they were..... and he told them to "go to ... " and turned to walk away, upon which one of them shot him.

Anyway, good deal. Then if you CC and become exposed, you aren't in jeopardy either.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I would love to see this passed. I never carry in town, but I'd love to have the option of open carrying in the rural areas.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Anybody got a status update on this?
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

HB 2522:

Pending coauthorship Representative(s) Faught 04/17/2012 S
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

HB2522

Measure passed: Ayes: 39 Nays: 2 04/24/2012 S
    Referred for engrossment 04/24/2012 S
    coauthored by Russell 04/24/2012 S
    My blog

One thing that is good about open carry is that if someone is carrying concealed and the gun becomes visible for some reason, it is not a big deal because open carry is legal anyway.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links