Florida open carrier stopped by police (vid)

This is a discussion on Florida open carrier stopped by police (vid) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's pretty clear that he sought to create an event. I wish I could be on a jury in a case in which he's a ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Florida open carrier stopped by police (vid)

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    It's pretty clear that he sought to create an event. I wish I could be on a jury in a case in which he's a defendant. I have as much disdain for people like him as I do for straight up thugs.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    The open carry civilian acted in a provocative manner once stopped. Would have most likely been nothing more than a check of ID/permit otherwise. It is nothing to show cooperation and just let the cop see what he asked for.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    ^^ +1 He made the cop repeat every command at least twice and most three times. He ought to count himself lucky he didn't end up spread eagle, face down spitting asphalt.

I've learned in my almost 60 years, it's better to obey cops and discuss things afterward. JMHO
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Let's see...
    1. Seeks to find a cop
    2. Parks right in front of the cop
    3. Makes a show of filming his weapon upon getting out of the car
    4. Acts like a jerk
    5. Cops treat him with far more respect than he deserved

Score 1 for the cops and 0 for the jerk.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Let's see...
    1. Seeks to find a cop
    2. Parks right in front of the cop
    3. Makes a show of filming his weapon upon getting out of the car
    4. Acts like a jerk
    5. Cops treat him with far more respect than he deserved

Score 1 for the cops and 0 for the jerk.
    I completely agree. I support open carry and I look forward to doing it when I go home to TN to visit but that guy was just looking for trouble. The cop did nothing wrong.

Yea, I thought the guy came across as a tool in the video. Just because the guy open carries, the cop is supposed to assume he is under one of the FL exceptions, is licensed, and not a felon. If you go looking for trouble on a regular basis, chances are, you will be successful at some point.

Though I state that I don't tell LEO's during traffic stops that I carry because it is none of their bees wax I am on the LEO's side with this one. FL law is different because OC is resricted to certain activities and this guys was being provocative. I can see the reason for the LEO's asking for proof in this situation. NH is different. You can OC everywhere though I would suspect walking downtown Concord would arouse more attention than hiking in the White Mountains.

While I don't like the obvious attempt to get a video encounter by the "Fisherman", I don't know the Florida law regarding stop and id. If this were in Idaho there would be no requirement to show id or identify yourself. The officer could only ask not demand to see id.

The SCOTUS determined that the mere presense of a firearm is not justification for a terry stop so running his id is probably not legal. In that regard, checking to see if he "was a felon" is akin to stopping random cars to see if the driver has a license to drive. Not legal.

I did not watch the entire video, but, skimmed thru it as I was nearly sickened by the "Fisherman", so, did not see a fishing pole. I did hear him tell the officer "it's already out there" thinking that was reference to the fishing pole. That being the case I can understand checking. It would have made more sense to me to ask for a fishing license tho. The second set of officers were just a show of force by the department in attempt to intimidate as the first officer had already determined that he was indeed legal.

Cool

He wanted attention and he got it.

The law was written so that if your out in the everglades or a river somewhere or in Florida waters outside the inlets you can have a means of protection when LE is not quickly available.

Same goes for hunting in the glades or isolated areas of the state.

When you are fishing from a municipal pier there is a bit of a gray area there in many LEO's minds.

Legal. Yes. Going to get a LEO's attention . Absolutely.

For now in Florida it is best to get a CCW and carry in the prescribed manner until or if open carry is authorized state wide.

Good job LEO's.

Regards,

OS
    JoeFriday and First Sgt like this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    The second set of officers were just a show of force by the department in attempt to intimidate as the first officer had already determined that he was indeed legal.
    I disagree. He was only known to be legal once he proved he was fishing. The first officer did not see the pole and when he returned with his buddy, the "fisherman" was not near his pole. He had to walk across the pier and down a bit to get it. They guy was clearly fishing for a sensational video. Glad he did not get it.
    suntzu and RMS like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The "Fisherman" was an obvious JERK from the very beginning of the video in his car, to parking his car, to inviting the encounter, baiting the officer, throwing out the Chief's name, etc etc etc. I think he was probably "unemployed" and looking for a payday IF the officer violated his rights, jacked his tail up, and took him to jail...I think "Mr. Fisherman" should consider himself fortunate that his encounter did not end up in an extremely negative manner, even though he gave every reason for it to be that way. I certainly hope he is NOT a CCW holder, but even if he is, it's obvious he is an arrogant know-it-all just looking to prove his superior weapons law knowledge among his peers. By the time the video was over I just wanted to regurgitate...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    At 2:10 of the video, it could very easily have been clobberin' time.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

"I disagree. He was only known to be legal once he proved he was fishing. The first officer did not see the pole and when he returned with his buddy, the "fisherman" was not near his pole. He had to walk across the pier and down a bit to get it. They guy was clearly fishing for a sensational video. Glad he did not get it."

Then the first officer should have gone with him at that time to cite him or release him.

This guy is a douche. All he wanted was attention for his "glock" on his hip. What a tool.
    muttsrt likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Don't you just love individuals like him. He makes the rest of us look bad.
    carracer and babarock like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    He was going fishing alright. He was trolling for a confrontation and got a bite.

IMO the guy is a jerk, just looking for his 60 seconds of fame on the internet. Lf not, why did he pull into the parking lot with his camera already running.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links