Florida open carrier stopped by police (vid) - Page 3

Florida open carrier stopped by police (vid)

This is a discussion on Florida open carrier stopped by police (vid) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JoeFriday Yea, I thought the guy came across as a tool in the video. Just because the guy open carries, the cop ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Florida open carrier stopped by police (vid)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    Yea, I thought the guy came across as a tool in the video. Just because the guy open carries, the cop is supposed to assume he is under one of the FL exceptions, is licensed, and not a felon. If you go looking for trouble on a regular basis, chances are, you will be successful at some point.
    Just for clarification in Florida there is no license required for the activity he was engaged in except a fishing license and driving.

Otherwise, tool!
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Though I state that I don't tell LEO's during traffic stops that I carry because it is none of their bees wax I am on the LEO's side with this one. FL law is different because OC is resricted to certain activities and this guys was being provocative. I can see the reason for the LEO's asking for proof in this situation. NH is different. You can OC everywhere though I would suspect walking downtown Concord would arouse more attention than hiking in the White Mountains.
    In Tennessee we are taught in our ccw class to show our permit (if we are carrying at the time) along our DL when stopped by LEO's.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

I agree with the other posters. What a complete moron the "fisherman" was. I wish the officer had a chance to ask him for a fishing license, if indeed one is needed for pier fishing. It would have been great if he needed one and didn't have one. Just curious, if he didn't have a fishing license and needed one, would the firearm have increased his penalty? What a moron. Oh yeah, I already said that. The moron was fishing for a payday. Glad he didn't get one. An embarrassment for all CWL holders, IF he has one since its not needed for "fishing."

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    ^^ +1 He made the cop repeat every command at least twice and most three times. He ought to count himself lucky he didn't end up spread eagle, face down spitting asphalt.

I've learned in my almost 60 years, it's better to obey cops and discuss things afterward. JMHO
    Stubborn likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    police harassment or an officer just doing his job ?

Open Carry Venice, Florida - YouTube
    I didn't view the video but I know that OC is extremely limited in FLA, and most cops/people are not used to seeing anyone OCing

Small world...the Sarg is my nephew.

I think he was cool and calm with that idiot who was seeking attention.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; March 3rd, 2012 at 09:16 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Florida is not a traditional open carry state.
    Open Carry is lawful while engaged in, or going directly to and from, lawful Target Shooting, Hunting, Fishing, and Camping expeditions. FL Statutes 790.25(3)(h), (j), and (k)
    So. The officer isn't really happy about all this, and probably goes back to check the statute on this and find out if he can pop Mr Fisherman. Bingo - if they don't find fishing gear, the kid's going down. So that's what the second visit was about.

If this clown wants to go around looking for trouble, he's eventually going to find it.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Often piers are for fishing only--"No Loitering" posted. You can walk out and back but if you cause any trouble the owner can have you cited. May have been a city-owned pier so the police patrol it. Since he seemed to want the first interaction and said he was going fishing but didn't have a pole they initiated the second interaction to look for the pole. I wager if he hadn't had one he would have gotten a ride downtown. IMO, he would have deserved it if he was loitering. We don't need this kind of gun carrier.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was younger

The guy was being a punk...

Sad they let this guy carry a gun!
    Dwayne...
    CZ Redhead Deluxe O/U 12 ga

If you go looking for trouble, sooner or later it will find you. I see a disrespectful jerk trying to cause trouble.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    While I don't like the obvious attempt to get a video encounter by the "Fisherman", I don't know the Florida law regarding stop and id. If this were in Idaho there would be no requirement to show id or identify yourself. The officer could only ask not demand to see id.

The SCOTUS determined that the mere presense of a firearm is not justification for a terry stop so running his id is probably not legal. In that regard, checking to see if he "was a felon" is akin to stopping random cars to see if the driver has a license to drive. Not legal.

I did not watch the entire video, but, skimmed thru it as I was nearly sickened by the "Fisherman", so, did not see a fishing pole. I did hear him tell the officer "it's already out there" thinking that was reference to the fishing pole. That being the case I can understand checking. It would have made more sense to me to ask for a fishing license tho. The second set of officers were just a show of force by the department in attempt to intimidate as the first officer had already determined that he was indeed legal.
    The first officer is with the Sargent in the "second group". If the guy had no fishing gear he would have gone downtown.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

The loop hole for open carry here in FL exists when hunting, fishing or camping and/or on the way to or from hunting, fishing or camping.
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
    It's faster to dial 3-5-7 than it is to dial 9-1-1.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

What an immature goober (referring to the kid who OCd and then went looking for a police officer to taunt on video). Perhaps it would have been different if he had just been going about his business and was being hassled, but it appeared to me he went out with the intention of looking for a confrontation. When you go looking for trouble, you are likely to find it. I didn't really see where they were harrassing him. As a matter of fact, I thought they handled it pretty good considering the kid was being a goober. People like that are the ones who give bad impressions of the rest of us.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    The first officer is with the Sargent in the "second group". If the guy had no fishing gear he would have gone downtown.
    Correct. In the first video the goober kid tells him he is going fishing (knowing it is legal while and going to and from) but doesn't have any fishing equipment with him. When the officer asks about that, he indicates it is already at the pier. After being a goober, I'm sure the officer was just checking out his story for validity. The kid obviously set this whole thing up. He probably was fishing and saw the officer up there. Left his fishing stuff there, went home to his parents house and got his firearm and camera, and came back and intentionally parked where the officer would see it hoping to instigate some type of negative encounter. What a moron.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Correct. In the first video the goober kid tells him he is going fishing (knowing it is legal while and going to and from) but doesn't have any fishing equipment with him. When the officer asks about that, he indicates it is already at the pier. After being a goober, I'm sure the officer was just checking out his story for validity. The kid obviously set this whole thing up. He probably was fishing and saw the officer up there. Left his fishing stuff there, went home to his parents house and got his firearm and camera, and came back and intentionally parked where the officer would see it hoping to instigate some type of negative encounter. What a moron.
    Agreed. IMO the guy was trolling for trouble and actually instigated the situation. Guys like that hurt our cause more than help it.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links