Florida open carrier stopped by police (vid)

This is a discussion on Florida open carrier stopped by police (vid) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; police harassment or an officer just doing his job ? Open Carry Venice, Florida - YouTube...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Florida open carrier stopped by police (vid)

Florida open carrier stopped by police (vid)

police harassment or an officer just doing his job ?

Open Carry Venice, Florida - YouTube
    RR9501 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I don't open carry, but if I did and an officer asked to see my permit, I would show him.
    Not try to get a reaction like this guy did. Why... because not everyone carrying a gun is legal to do so.
    Just my 2 cents...
    "I'm the God-fearing, Gun-toting, flag waving conservative they warned you about!"
    US Air Force Vietnam Vet, Ex-LEO
    Dan Wesson CBOB .45
    CZ 75D Compact PCR
    Kahr PM9, and a few others.....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    police harassment or an officer just doing his job ?

Open Carry Venice, Florida - YouTube
    I would call it an attention-seeking stroke looking for a game. Lots of them out there.
    40Bob and Dadsnugun like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Another one who makes people think everyone who chooses to open carry are like this. Unfortunately they are the loud minority and make us all look bad, open carry or not.

He set out to find a confrontation, and found one.

The part at the end was a little weird, verifying his fishing pole... really?

Quote Originally Posted by Keech View Post
    I don't open carry, but if I did and an officer asked to see my permit, I would show him.
    Not try to get a reaction like this guy did. Why... because not everyone carrying a gun is legal to do so.
    Just my 2 cents...
    The guy is trying to make a point BUT since he's already legal...and CAN produce a license he's only asking for trouble later on when he's going 16 mph in a school zone. The second officer knew his name, obviously from the first officer....they'll remember him....oh yes, they'll remember him for a long time.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

I thought the cops acted professionally. Where the 'star' of the video errs is in his stated assumption "obviously I'm carrying legally". How does the cop know that he's legal?

I'm not advocating harassment for open carriers, but face it - it some areas, it just isn't commonly seen. We train our cops to notice things out of the ordinary, and to be curious and suspicious enough to investigate. I wonder if the video 'star' would want a cruiser to just drive by like nothing's going on if he was surrounded by a crowd of gang-bangers who were sneering at him and taunting him?
    wmhawth, jblitz and Dadsnugun like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I dont see any harrassment there at all.

I am not an advocate of open carry, but if its legal to do so, then I dont care.

The cop did a fine job in spite of the guy doing the video looking to make headlines. I "talked to the Chief"...like that really matters. "I want to make Officers look good" ...yeah right.
    That sort of BS is what makes it difficult for a cop not to slap the heck out of someone for being ignorant. Telling a cop how you think he ought to do his job borders on being ignorant and foolish. I find it odd that when someone acts the fool, it suprises them when they are treated like one.

He was perfectly within his legal authority to check the DL. Perhaps it never occured to the maker of the video that the only way to verify the age is by checking the DL.

The OP admitted to "fishing" for a response and that is exactly what he got. He expected a negative response and did not get it...other than getting his DL checked.

No harm,no foul.
    FTG-05 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Florida does not have open carry...other than when hunting or fishing. Designed for protection from snakes and gators and the like.
    Not too many snakes or gators on a pier.
    Florida LE is just not used to seeing OC. Obviously they are going to "check him out".
    Personally I don't have a problem with showing an ID or CWFL if and when asked by LE.

I think this cat was looking for attention, and got exactly what he was looking/asking for.
    Kudos to the officers, both were professional and polite.
    Just my 2 cent opinion
    muttsrt, Dadsnugun and RR9501 like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Excuse me, but I thought Florida does not allow open carry?
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
    I dont see any harrassment there at all.

I am not an advocate of open carry, but if its legal to do so, then I dont care.

The cop did a fine job in spite of the guy doing the video looking to make headlines. I "talked to the Chief"...like that really matters. "I want to make Officers look good" ...yeah right.
    That sort of BS is what makes it difficult for a cop not to slap the heck out of someone for being ignorant. Telling a cop how you think he ought to do his job borders on being ignorant and foolish. I find it odd that when someone acts the fool, it suprises them when they are treated like one.He was perfectly within his legal authority to check the DL. Perhaps it never occured to the maker of the video that the only way to verify the age is by checking the DL.

The OP admitted to "fishing" for a response and that is exactly what he got. He expected a negative response and did not get it...other than getting his DL checked.

No harm,no foul.

AMEN !!!
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That would explain why they wanted to make sure he was fishing.

Cops 1
    Troller 0
    Dadsnugun and RR9501 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post

Florida

Summary
    Florida is not a traditional open carry state.
    Open Carry is lawful while engaged in, or going directly to and from, lawful Target Shooting, Hunting, Fishing, and Camping expeditions. FL Statutes 790.25(3)(h), (j), and (k)
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    The open carry civilian acted in a provocative manner once stopped. Would have most likely been nothing more than a check of ID/permit otherwise. It is nothing to show cooperation and just let the cop see what he asked for.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

This guy is an embaressment to the rest of us. I would NEVER try to entice a contact with a police officer.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

If open carrying in Florida be ready to debate the Florida gun laws with any LEO most certain to stop you. Since open carry per se is not legal in Florida, why ask for trouble unless you
    are looking for it.
    Stubborn and Old School like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links