Oc and the bg attempting to take your weapon

This is a discussion on Oc and the bg attempting to take your weapon within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I keep seeing post after post talking about the bg attempting to take a gun from someone who is oc'ing a pistol. Does anyone have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Oc and the bg attempting to take your weapon

I keep seeing post after post talking about the bg attempting to take a gun from someone who is oc'ing a pistol. Does anyone have proof of this occurrence? I have never seen any sort of evidence showing this.

People on here are always saying that the bg's go for the easiest softest target, wouldn't easy access to a gun make you quite the hard target? Secondly I think you're givin these thugs more credit than they are due, If you watch the show "bait car" you will get a candid camera look at the blatant lack of any sort of intelligence. I have seen more than one thug who can't even figure out how to get the car out of park or even turn off the windshield wipers.

Ever notice how every situation on here when someone is in a scenario where they feel threatened and the bg even sees their gun he immediately backs off and flees? Wouldnt oc just skip the shirt clear phase of this?
    1 gun 1 reload 1 knife
    If 27 .40cal Hornady Critical Defense cant save me, only God can.

There have been a few instances reported in open press. Google might help you find those articles.

IMO, if you OC, you have responsibility to carry in a suitable holster, and have a working knowledge of some basic retention techniques...as well as paying attention to things around you. I OC (when CONUS) about 1/2 of the time...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    There have been a couple of cases where OC'ers have had firearms taken/attempted on here, I dont remember the particulars. I am sure someone will chime in or you can do a search.

Sure anything is possible. BG sees guns flees scene, my theory is if the mere sight of a gun causes him to flee he is not much of a bad guy anyway. An example the incident where a gang sets up to rob a diner and sees two guys inside OC'ing and then decide not to rob it, great the thing is though they apparently were better armed with rifles but lacked the heart to carry on with their plan. On the other hand the sight of a gun may tempt him to do something if he sees the carrier is not on his game.

If someone chooses to open carry great, their SA better be through the ceiling and they better have the training to back it up. It is not the common thug you have to worry about it is that one determined person who is not intimidated, scared or really does not care if you are armed or not that you have to worry about.

In answer to your last statement my answer is no. The mere sight of a firearm is not the ultimate deterent, many folks dont care especially if the carrier shows any lacking of attention to his enviroment or even by the way they carry their firearm. How a persons body language is displayed is as important as the weapon they carry or the skills they have. I am not talking about strutting like a peacock I am talking about a professional postive "I know what I am doing" body posture and attitude.

As an example years ago inmates at a southern prison escaped. They were stopped by a DPS/Trooper in that state shortly after he was killed outright without hesitation on the traffic stop on the side of a major highway with cars going by. A few days later they again were stopped in a rural part of the Carolina's literally in the middle of nowhere by a lone trooper in yet another stolen car. This time during the stop the trooper took them into custody without a shot being fired even though both were still armed.
    When interviewed later on the inmates were asked why they did not engage the Carolina trooper since they had the advantage their reply was basically "His Boots". When asked what they meant they stated when this trooper got out of his vehicle the escapee sized him up in the mirror. He stated this guy was professional, for the lack of a better word, from the top of his head to his spit shined boots, not once during the stop did he give the driver or passenger any advantage or break to make an attack they simply said "We knew we could not beat him".

Anyways just an opinion
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    There will always be thouse who think open carrying is like a Sue Storm force field around them.

I'm guessing under the theory here that just because a cop has never had somebody try to take his weapon, he should not use a retention type holster.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide13 View Post
    I keep seeing post after post talking about the bg attempting to take a gun from someone who is oc'ing a pistol. Does anyone have proof of this occurrence? I have never seen any sort of evidence showing this.

People on here are always saying that the bg's go for the easiest softest target, wouldn't easy access to a gun make you quite the hard target? Secondly I think you're givin these thugs more credit than they are due, If you watch the show "bait car" you will get a candid camera look at the blatant lack of any sort of intelligence. I have seen more than one thug who can't even figure out how to get the car out of park or even turn off the windshield wipers.

Ever notice how every situation on here when someone is in a scenario where they feel threatened and the bg even sees their gun he immediately backs off and flees? Wouldnt oc just skip the shirt clear phase of this?
    Here you go. Google "Deputy Richard Herzog" for a stack of info on this case. The Seattle Times: Local News: Suspect in killing "broken," defense says
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint

How many more examples do you want, or will this suffice?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Has it happened? Yes. But you will also find the same, if not more amount of stories of OC'ers stopping the BG, or of CC having their weapon taken by the BG. If the BG is determined to rob you, it isn't going to make a difference if your OC'ing or CC'ing.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Regardless of whether you are carrying open or concealed situation awareness is most important.

Also agree about having a retention holster.

I am on the deterent side of the discussion and not the target side. Yes, it has happened a couple of times when the carrier was caught unawares and not prepared. I'm sure it happens with cc'ers too.

Did I mention that SITUATION AWARENESS is your most valuable tool.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Has it happened? Yes. But you will also find the same, if not more amount of stories of OC'ers stopping the BG, or of CC having their weapon taken by the BG. If the BG is determined to rob you, it isn't going to make a difference if your OC'ing or CC'ing.
    That is something I have been wrestling about...Situational awareness, a plan of action and training is in dire need for this situaiton.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    There have been a couple of cases where OC'ers have had firearms taken/attempted on here, I dont remember the particulars. I am sure someone will chime in or you can do a search.

Sure anything is possible. BG sees guns flees scene, my theory is if the mere sight of a gun causes him to flee he is not much of a bad guy anyway. An example the incident where a gang sets up to rob a diner and sees two guys inside OC'ing and then decide not to rob it, great the thing is though they apparently were better armed with rifles but lacked the heart to carry on with their plan. On the other hand the sight of a gun may tempt him to do something if he sees the carrier is not on his game.

If someone chooses to open carry great, their SA better be through the ceiling and they better have the training to back it up. It is not the common thug you have to worry about it is that one determined person who is not intimidated, scared or really does not care if you are armed or not that you have to worry about.

In answer to your last statement my answer is no. The mere sight of a firearm is not the ultimate deterent, many folks dont care especially if the carrier shows any lacking of attention to his enviroment or even by the way they carry their firearm. How a persons body language is displayed is as important as the weapon they carry or the skills they have. I am not talking about strutting like a peacock I am talking about a professional postive "I know what I am doing" body posture and attitude.

As an example years ago inmates at a southern prison escaped. They were stopped by a DPS/Trooper in that state shortly after he was killed outright without hesitation on the traffic stop on the side of a major highway with cars going by. A few days later they again were stopped in a rural part of the Carolina's literally in the middle of nowhere by a lone trooper in yet another stolen car. This time during the stop the trooper took them into custody without a shot being fired even though both were still armed.
    When interviewed later on the inmates were asked why they did not engage the Carolina trooper since they had the advantage their reply was basically "His Boots". When asked what they meant they stated when this trooper got out of his vehicle the escapee sized him up in the mirror. He stated this guy was professional, for the lack of a better word, from the top of his head to his spit shined boots, not once during the stop did he give the driver or passenger any advantage or break to make an attack they simply said "We knew we could not beat him".

Anyways just an opinion
    I am definitely a PRO- open carry person. (I oc'ed before I moved to SC; and hope that SC will eventually allow OC.)

I really have to say that tacman really nailed it about SA & professionalism being the ABSOLUTE BEST deterrent.

BTW; the importance of this is true whether you OC, CC or NO "C"!
    -

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide13 View Post

Don't put any credence in anything you see on TV. It's entertainment, and the producers only show you what they want you to see.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

It happens, but rarely IMO. I don't put LE and OC'ers into the same category either. I'm not required to go into bad situations, I'm not a target because of the authority represented by the uniform, and BG's don't hate me because of my job. FWIW, I've read interviews where BG's are more concerned with being shot by a civilian more than LE. They understand we are not bound by job restrictions.

I think the gun grab is something that OC'ers need to consider and think about. It does not stop me from OC'ing though.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I did a quick search of concealed carry robbed and got a long list of examples of interrupted/prevented robberies. A similar search of open carry robbed revealed another long list, with dramatically-different content.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I did a quick search of concealed carry robbed and got a long list of examples of interrupted/prevented robberies. A similar search of open carry robbed revealed another long list, with dramatically-different content.
    What I figured, the entire first page was 2 stories. The Milwaukee one was repeated multiple times on multiple pages. The VA one was on there once. A story repeated 100 times is still just one story. That's as far as I'm interested in looking. Basically there were 2 stories of OC'rs robbed, and one of OC'rs preventing a robbery, along with some other fluff.
    carracer likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links