OC get together in Grand Rapids, MI

This is a discussion on OC get together in Grand Rapids, MI within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to stop in at an OC meeting this afternoon to see what it's all about. I'm a concealed kind of guy, but for ...

Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Metalman
  • 1 Post By Harryball
  • 1 Post By carracer

Thread: OC get together in Grand Rapids, MI

  1. #1
    Member Array Metalman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    125

    OC get together in Grand Rapids, MI

    I'm going to stop in at an OC meeting this afternoon to see what it's all about. I'm a concealed kind of guy, but for today, I'll wear it on the outside of my pants. Should be fun.
    carracer likes this.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array carracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nampa, Id.
    Posts
    403
    Great! I hope it's a great time. Carry is the main thing. Please, let us know how it goes for you and a recap of the meeting.

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    6,527
    Maybe the guy from the voting pole incident will be there....Have fun...
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

  5. #4
    Member Array Metalman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    125
    Yes, the guy from the pole incident was there. We had lunch at a local establishment that welcomed us, and then to Gander Mountain where a room was prepared for a power point lecture. The lecture started with a review of Michigan law and it was made clear that the OC incident at the school poling place was perfectly legal in this State, The group is gaining speed with 2700 likes now to their facebook page. Overall a good group with strong organization. I however, am not the kind of guy who enjoys the activism they are working on. I think I will continue to conceal.

  6. #5
    Member Array carracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nampa, Id.
    Posts
    403
    Good that you were able to visit with the group. Hope you met some new friends there that will continue thru your life.

    It appears from your post that the group was not full of AR carrying loud mouth in your face idiots. Although there surely those extremists in every group, (cc'er group included) I believe they are a minority. Too bad some just see the minority and judge all by them.

    The main thing is to carry and your decision is a good one. i encourage people to carry the best way and most comfortable for them. Knowing that you have several options is always good.

    You should feel free to attend any OC get togethers. You don't need to oc to attend. The gatherings we have here welcome all and we talk and discuss laws, ethics and everything related to firearms. Hunting, target shooting, pistol competitions. We have other clubs come and show us what they are about. One of them I joined and am becoming more active with, Cowboy Fast Draw.

    I would encourage anyone that feels that OC is a bad thing to attend a local meeting and see for yourself it's not what you have been led to believe.

    Be safe and carry.

  7. #6
    Member Array Kevets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    It appears from your post that the group was not full of AR carrying loud mouth in your face idiots.
    Nah, most of those guys hang around Lansing.

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    6,527
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Good that you were able to visit with the group. Hope you met some new friends there that will continue thru your life.

    It appears from your post that the group was not full of AR carrying loud mouth in your face idiots. Although there surely those extremists in every group, (cc'er group included) I believe they are a minority. Too bad some just see the minority and judge all by them.

    The main thing is to carry and your decision is a good one. i encourage people to carry the best way and most comfortable for them. Knowing that you have several options is always good.

    You should feel free to attend any OC get togethers. You don't need to oc to attend. The gatherings we have here welcome all and we talk and discuss laws, ethics and everything related to firearms. Hunting, target shooting, pistol competitions. We have other clubs come and show us what they are about. One of them I joined and am becoming more active with, Cowboy Fast Draw.

    I would encourage anyone that feels that OC is a bad thing to attend a local meeting and see for yourself it's not what you have been led to believe.

    Be safe and carry.
    Yea the last CC meeting I went to, I had to CC my AR, what a pain, but I did it without any problems. The cops didnt show up either...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

  9. #8
    Member Array carracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nampa, Id.
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Yea the last CC meeting I went to, I had to CC my AR, what a pain, but I did it without any problems. The cops didnt show up either...
    I can relate. Don't have an AR, but, with my Mosberg 500 in my pantleg I got lots of attention from the waitress's! I imagine with all the lumps on an AR they would have thought you had warts!
    Metalman likes this.

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    6,527
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    I can relate. Don't have an AR, but, with my Mosberg 500 in my pantleg I got lots of attention from the waitress's! I imagine with all the lumps on an AR they would have thought you had warts!
    LMAO.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Array 1911_Kimber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    I can relate. Don't have an AR, but, with my Mosberg 500 in my pantleg I got lots of attention from the waitress's! I imagine with all the lumps on an AR they would have thought you had warts!
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

    -James Earl Jones


  12. #11
    Senior Member Array Al Lowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Mason, MI, USA
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    ... Overall a good group with strong organization. I however, am not the kind of guy who enjoys the activism they are working on. I think I will continue to conceal.
    You don't have to be an activist to OC. I've hardly gone to any meetings (mostly because my work schedule sucks) but, I still OC every chance I get. Sometimes, I think I'm the only guy in Mason who carries at all!



    Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Al Lowe; March 26th, 2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: correcting tapatalk's emoticon mishap

  13. #12
    Member Array Metalman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    125
    Morning Al,
    This particular group has a mission to inform LEOs and public alike about the right to open carry and what the laws are in Michigan. They have letter writing campaigns, they plan events in public places and the like. They are an activist organization. I, on the other hand do not have the time or inclination (read 'passion') for the work in which they are engaged. More power to them, however.

  14. #13
    Senior Member Array Al Lowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Mason, MI, USA
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    Morning Al,
    This particular group has a mission to inform LEOs and public alike about the right to open carry and what the laws are in Michigan. They have letter writing campaigns, they plan events in public places and the like. They are an activist organization. I, on the other hand do not have the time or inclination (read 'passion') for the work in which they are engaged. More power to them, however.
    I understand that part. I was simply saying, you don't have to be an activist to OC. I'm no activist, by any stretch of the imagination, yet I OC pretty much all the time. However, I have to add, my OCing is based partly on weather, which dictates my outer clothing. Sometimes, my cold weather clothing covers my pistol. Sometimes it doesn't. But that's what CPLs are for.

    If my schedule allowed, I'd likely attend some of their activities. But, work and home get in the way too much right now.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

discussion or activities for guy get togethers

,

oc of bb guns in grand rapids

,

open carry idiots michigan

,

open carry in garnd rapids

,

senior get togethers grand rapids

,

singles get to gethers in grand rapids, michigan

Click on a term to search for related topics.